Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Naseer Shamma New interview on aljazeera
eliot
Oud Junkie

Mood: Aksak

[*] posted on 1-27-2008 at 04:17 AM

The chair doesn't help my enjoyment of the music, which is hindered by many other things already...

Carry on...

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
on soundcloud
on myspace
my homepage
JamesOud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Great

[*] posted on 1-27-2008 at 04:51 PM

Hello Guys,

Dandana, Shamma is very famous and I still think he is the face of Modern oud plaing in the middle east.
Whenever oud is involved, people think of Shamma. He runs Beit al Oud in Cairo, Morrocco, Iraq and Dubai and is supported by many Arabic governments. So his publicity machine is very good especially when it is support by people that are very high up. When we talk about innovation, he is actually not doing anything overly new. If you listen to Qassabji's private sessions, he uses alot of that technique, strumming, chords etc, that was innovation! and in the public eye he didnt sacrifice soul for technique.
In many years to come, Shamma will be seen as someone who has done well for the oudd but I doubt anybody will remember him for more than a man that composed a piece for one hand and had a grand chair. His awful style is unfortunately embedded in the next generation of oud players who he has taught to sacrifice soul for technique and sacrifice individuality in the process.

confused James.

Gotta love these forums!
Oudism
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-27-2008 at 05:25 PM

James..why you're saying awful style. He has his style, actually it's Jamil bachir style. Not necessarly awful, simply different from Farid el atrache style.
JamesOud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Great

[*] posted on 1-28-2008 at 01:31 AM

Hello Oudism,
Thank you for pointing out that I said 'awful' style. It is a bit much I admit, and he has done some good. But what I mean is that this is the style that he represents Arabic oud playing with. Can you imagine when Westerners hear it, they start to think this is traditional because this is what he claims, he has a great technique but does not sound Arabic. So this is actually doing more damage to Arabic oud than better, even if the young generation start listening and accepting this as dogma.
If it is an Iraqi style(which I dont think it is) then he should stop claiming to be the real deal representing the whole Arab world and stick to Iraq. He already murders Abdel Wahab and Oum Kalsoum songs when he plays them in the Ukelele style. Im sorry if Im a bit extreme, but since this post the more I listen to him the more I really dislike his style and that interview and chair didnt do him any favours either.

Still confused james
Oud Freak
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud Jerk :)

[*] posted on 1-28-2008 at 08:45 AM

JamesOud, you have a point. Absolutely right in what you said about qassabji. I think Nasseer Chamma is the show off style. Technique is great but technique is not everything.
Cheers!

Oudism
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-28-2008 at 11:12 AM

James: check these links. Style is different from the traditional arabic of Qasabji or Farid. You find out from where Nasser is getting his style
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVSTPQTziRI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kY26CkGvuo&feature=related
and here Omar Bachir, son of Munir bachir (brother of Jamil bachir) same style as his uncle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiiTZ2hpH0A&feature=related
Here Nasiir playing the same music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8bJ-3iim3w
Now this is the question: do you consider this arabic music? For me yes, as long as the sweet romantic melody is here. Think about Fairouz too. Arabic music fairouz or Western?? It's arabic but different from traditional.
Best
dandana
Oud Addict

Mood: observer!

[*] posted on 1-28-2008 at 12:43 PM

Hello James;
I agree with u on that point of the late Qasabji. Yes Qasabji was what he was: we look at him and recall his works with respect, that's exactly what we could call the "times' judgement".

Naseer is very famous, yes. But for whom? General public certainly. Would u judge one's level and talent on the "public applause" he gets? I'm not saying that public is not important but public is one thing and one's real evaluation is another, certainly if we agree that Shamma is very talented in the show bizz and fame seeking, yes i admit. But it's as if i wanted to attribute a prize of the best one depending on his fame, celebrity and public reaction: it's not fair, that's all.

If someone wants to know or to evaluate the arabic music by "studying" Shamma and taking him as a reference without looking elsewhere that's his problem, because the field is full with real talented, serious and hardworking innovators who deserve to earn their right place, and i'm sur they will.

And one last thing: like or dislike a style is very personal, no imposition, no obligation. It's a matter of taste. That's his style (with all critics it could bear) and we are left to say our opinions.

The "happy to have this discussion" dandana! Not confused at all!;);)
katakofka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gypsy

[*] posted on 1-28-2008 at 02:56 PM

Oudism, ur right. Actually I love that music. My favorite dance for Jamil bachir. Here is a file I am playing it;)
katakofka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-28-2008 at 02:59 PM

decompressed !
katakofka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-28-2008 at 03:54 PM

So James: I am not from the new generation but I like Jamil bachir style. Jamil Bachir, student of Muhyyi eddin Targan (a turkish 3oud player who established a school of music in Iraq in the begining of this century) took the oud into another dimension, by using good technic. Targan is considered the Paganini of the Oud since he wrote many piece for the Oud very difficult to be played. You may not like the style but Targan style and subsequently Nassir contributed widly to the Oud. Nassir is no more than a simple student impressed by the style of Jamil Bachir.
check that link, a music composed by Muhyyi eddin Targan, you may understand better my point
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5IK70WFYXs
Cheeeeeeers:airguitar:
eliot
Oud Junkie

Mood: Aksak

[*] posted on 1-28-2008 at 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by katakofka
So James: I am not from the new generation but I like Jamil bachir style. Jamil Bachir, student of Muhyyi eddin Targan (a turkish 3oud player who established a school of music in Iraq in the begining of this century) took the oud into another dimension, by using good technic. Targan is considered the Paganini of the Oud since he wrote many piece for the Oud very difficult to be played. You may not like the style but Targan style and subsequently Nassir contributed widly to the Oud. Nassir is no more than a simple student impressed by the style of Jamil Bachir.
check that link, a music composed by Muhyyi eddin Targan, you may understand better my point

Interesting you mention Targan... he is widely credited with introducing flamenco-inspired technique to the 'ud. His playing differed from many Turkish artists before and after, since he had a much heavier picking action. Though no one really sounds "like Targan," he is still widely respected for his innovations as well as his mastery of traditional repertoire.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
on soundcloud
on myspace
my homepage
Oud Freak
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-29-2008 at 03:34 AM

katakofka, hehe, I like this :) I recognized some sequences copied-pasted by Mr. Chamma, hehe. You are right dear :)

DaveH
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-29-2008 at 06:20 AM

One of the Shamma school who I think really does have their own voice and whose CD I've been listening to a lot recently is Yousra Dhahbi. Agree/disagree???
katakofka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-29-2008 at 08:31 AM

Oud Freak, thanks. If my playing reminds you of Nassir shamma, I am the winner:rolleyes::D. If you like I'll play it to you on msn:airguitar:
Oud Freak
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-30-2008 at 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by katakofka
Oud Freak, thanks. If my playing reminds you of Nassir shamma, I am the winner:rolleyes::D. If you like I'll play it to you on msn:airguitar:

Lol. Despite the nice playing, I was talking about the piece of music itself. Talk on msn, c u!

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top