Printable Version  
Author: Subject: RagMakamtar - combination of oud & sarod
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

Mood: g'oud

[*] posted on 1-20-2008 at 03:42 AM
RagMakamtar - combination of oud & sarod

Please have a look and listen to my most recent creation -
RagMakamtar... which is a combination of an oud and a sarod in the body of an acoustic guitar. I designed this on Crete while at Ross Daly's center - then went home and built the prototype. A few months later I went to Istanbul and built the "pro" version over a period of 8 months in the workshop of Faruk Türünz - with his guidance.

the oud part:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccINeH9l4Rw

the sarod part:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2Wh96_PR18

my website:
http://www.edwardpowell.com

newsletter:
http://www.edwardpowell.com/newsletter1.pdf

email:
epowell2007@gmail.com

Please feel free to contact me, also personally, with any questions or interest, Thanks

Edward
Peyman
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mahoor

[*] posted on 1-20-2008 at 11:10 AM

This is a very cool idea. The combination makes sense. Did you think about incorporating a skin resonator onto the sarood part? The articles on your website are intriguing as well, very interesting to read.
nayoud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Meditative

[*] posted on 1-20-2008 at 11:58 AM

Hi Edward

Beautiful music ... I also liked the article on Indian music. You got me drooling for a Turunz oud.... It seems I will take back my comment on the unfretted forum and save to buy one lol.
Hisham

Hisham
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-20-2008 at 02:06 PM

Hi Guys... My friend Periklis Tsoukalas was strongly suggesting that I try the "skin resonator" idea. . . like a kanun. I would have to majorly research how to do this - - - hmmmmm..... In any case, I am letting the instrument find it's own identity. The original inspiration came from the oud and sarod, but it will never be sounding really like an oud or a sarod... finally it is sounding like "itself", and I'm happy about that.

The main problem was the tension difference between the steel and nylon strings. . . finally I wasn't satisfied with the nylon side and now I am using Thomastic PJ116 strings instead of oud strings. (I had to beef up the bracing a bit to handle these heavier strings) - - - so now it sounds LESS like an oud, but BETTER in general.

Yes, buy a FARUK OUD, they are PERFECT and well worth the money! Believe me, I know exactly how he (they) are making them - - - their perfection is absurd!
rebetostar
Oud Maniac

Mood: Ajam Ushayran

[*] posted on 1-21-2008 at 12:16 AM

:bowdown: Wow,
Your playing is lovely. The most inspired and informed playing I've ever heard from a fellow Xenoi, if I may say so.
I have to admit I've never been fond of the two-neck aesthetic (would make more sense if you had an extra set of arms) but this is pretty awesome.
I also really like that Afro-bass.. :applause:

Have you ever been to Nelson, BC? I'm close to there.. There would definately be an interest in this area for a workshop on ragas and maqams (two interests of mine also, and instrument design too.. I'm amazed I hadn't heard your music before now!)
Thank you!
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-21-2008 at 02:47 AM

Hi Ben! Thank you ...what's a Xenoi?

I agree that some instruments these days are just a bunch of necks shooting off in all directions (it can seem a bit cancerous sometimes in my opinion) - the whole concept has to make sence and there should be a meaning and purpose to all that is there. In fact, the purpose of this instrument, which I have not documented yet on YouTube (COMING SOON! ...I'm still trying to catch my breath after all that building) is to play compositions which alternate playing from one neck to another, a bit like having a sarod player play some phrases, then answered by an oud player - - - and compositions which combine compatible ragas and makams.

But I am having REAL trouble finding band mates... musicians with training in BOTH ragas AND makams.
So my main focus at the moment is performing solo.

Nelson, B.C.!? I have often considered moving up there!
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-9-2008 at 09:55 AM

Thanks everybody...

MelBay (guitarsession.com) has featured an article of mine on HOW TO BUILD AN OUD...

http://www.guitarsessions.com/feb08/guitar_maker.asp
Peyman
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mahoor

[*] posted on 3-10-2008 at 01:22 PM

nice article. Can we get a lay out of braces or a description of dimensions? This is the most mysterious part of oud making to me.
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-11-2008 at 03:07 AM

The most mysterious and most important part.
As I said in the article you can use the bracing pattern of a lute... this will work fine.
If you really want to know exactly how they do it in the middle-east, the best thing is to go there and hang around with the good makers - they will be happy to show you.

Otherwise, I'm quite sure that discriptions and drawings don't exist. I have plenty of photos of Faruk's bracing, but out of respect to him I am afraid that I can't share these... ...at least not without his permission.

Go To Top