Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: My Egyptian blues scale
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: chords prefer frets

[*] posted on 1-21-2008 at 11:01 AM
My Egyptian blues scale

Hi all, Ive been improvising on this scale for somtime and really enjoy it, I call it an Egyptian blues scale, is that cheeky?, and can anyone tell me if it is identical to any known maqam? ( A, B1/2b,) C,D,Eb,F,F#,G,Bb,C. The notes below the C tonic help keep the music ethnically mysterious and prevents the music from falling into a,"woke up this morning, baby done stole my camel" type thing. The Eb can also be half flat too & the B below tonic can be B natural.
dampwater
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-21-2008 at 11:36 AM

How does it have F# and Gb at the same time?

the closest similar maqam I know to this is Nahawand Murassa, which is like a typical nahawand, but the hijaz starts out at F, so it become C D Eb F Gb A Bb C.

It also can be a Saba Zamzama (if it has just a normal Eb) or an original Saba (if it had the Eb as a half flat like the Bayati), but both those start on the D as the tonic, and so if this scale starts with the C as the tonic then it would be Nahawand Murassa3...

but, really, its hard to tell because what you're giving out as the scale is kinda confusing.
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-21-2008 at 12:03 PM

Thanks for pointing that out Dampwater. Re-read, I have edited the post, Gb changed to G(natural). Thankyou for the maqams you responded with, very helpful.
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 1-22-2008 at 08:11 AM

Hey Charlie where are you in Blighty - I'm falling off the bottom of England in Portsmouth.

Cheers

Leon
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-22-2008 at 08:53 AM

Hi ararat, I live near Newcastle on tyne, long way from pompey, my home town is Brighton along the coast from you. Would be great if we could get all uk oudies to meet up some day, summer school maybe?, Regards, Charlie

Go To Top