Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: vacuum presses
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-25-2008 at 03:41 PM
vacuum presses

Has anybody out there used a vacuum press to join the braces to the face? I saw one of these things in action the other day, and I would think that the bond between the braces and the face would just be incredible. Any thoughts?

Raby
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-25-2008 at 04:03 PM

Hi Jonathan!
I never used a vacuum press but I project to use it in the next year for my guitars and maybe my ouds ! The great advantage is we could glue a lot of braces in same time and the pressure is equal everywhere !

Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-25-2008 at 04:34 PM

I think for us part-timers Jonathan, the go-bar deck is the quickest and cheapest, plus it's better if you ask me, since you can clean up squeeze out very easily. I won't go back to using clamps. If you notice Faruk T. used a vacuum bag to make the sandwich top, but a manual one--like the kind you can get from veneer woodworking suppliers or DIY skateboard kits. Cheap way to try it out.

Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-25-2008 at 05:05 PM

That's what I was thinking of, Jameel. A used veneer vacuum.
I thought the same thing, Raby--a lot of even pressure throughout.

jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-26-2008 at 06:22 AM

A vacuum press would be a costly overkill unless mass production is contemplated and is likely only viable if modern slow setting PVA glues are being used (rather than traditional hide glue which is superior in every way).
I would be concerned also about glue 'squeeze out' due to application of excessive pressure which can result in dry, weak joints.

I agree with Jameel in using a 'go-bar' system which is low cost and straightforward to make, fast in operation and easy to control, applies a uniform pressure to the soundboard - which is supported on a flat surface, allows multi bar glue-ups using hide glue and allows access to individual bars for fine adjustment and glue clean up during the gluing process.

I would not discount use of bar clamps but they may be prone to creating local stresses and distortion of the soundboard during the glue-up operation.

Go To Top