Printable Version  
Author: Subject: George Nahad 1905 special oud
veyselmaster
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud making

thumbup.gif posted on 1-29-2008 at 02:27 PM
George Nahad 1905 special oud

Hello Frends
I bought George Nahad 1905 today roses ivory and one of the small ros fall in the oud.so full original and pegs box have near ivor inlay and saund great .I send Nahads oud pictures

http://www.veyselmuzik.com
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
veyselmaster
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-29-2008 at 02:28 PM

George Nahad body
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
veyselmaster
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-29-2008 at 02:29 PM

pegs
veyselmaster
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-29-2008 at 02:30 PM

roses
veyselmaster
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-29-2008 at 02:34 PM

George Nahad label

http://www.veyselmuzik.com
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 1-29-2008 at 03:01 PM

Another amazing find, Veysel. You and your father, Dr. Cengiz must have the best collection of antique ouds in the world. Inshallah, I will be visiting Istanbul in June and would love to see your display.

Thanks for sharing these pictures of this great old instrument.

Regards,

Greg
Oudism
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-29-2008 at 03:20 PM

"Offre au public tous les travaux en meubles perfectionnes a des prix reduits, en consideration de la bonte et de la SOLIDITE du travail et a l'essai on sera convaincu". Totally true ! This peice is solid indeed. Since 1905 and still in shape:bowdown:
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-29-2008 at 04:13 PM

Awesome. Thanks very much for posting this. What a piece of history and artwork. The Concepta's older brother. Abdo was the king of oudmakers. Now why can't I come across one like this!! :(

Melbourne
Oud Junkie

Mood: راحة الأرواح

[*] posted on 1-29-2008 at 05:29 PM

Wow wow wow....that is one beauty of an oud. I wonder how many more Nahats are out there awaiting to be discovered. Thanks for the picturres veyselmaster....

Jameel...
It's ok...you can always make one :D. But I know what you mean.
Faladel
Oud Junkie

Mood: ya salam

[*] posted on 1-30-2008 at 08:53 AM

dear Mr veyselmaster:

The date of this label is 7 March 1918

Oud Player
veyselmaster
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-30-2008 at 10:46 AM

Hello faladel my father read this oud label it's date 7march 1918 .
thank you faladel :)

best regards
veyselmaster
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-30-2008 at 10:54 AM

Hello jameel I'm looking your's working and made oud's .you are making very nice oud and inlay .would you make same abdul nahad oud
best wishes :)
veyselmaster
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-31-2008 at 11:37 AM

Hello Greg
Thank you very much foryour appraise if you will came to be istanbul .
I will be wait and you visitor to me.you can see our collection.and other's instrument.
best wishes
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-31-2008 at 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by veyselmaster
Hello jameel I'm looking your's working and made oud's .you are making very nice oud and inlay .would you make same abdul nahad oud
best wishes :)

Want to trade? :D

veyselmaster
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-31-2008 at 12:18 PM

No trade jameel I says to you george nahad make oud style .
because you make very nice oud
best regards:applause:
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-31-2008 at 01:49 PM

For my information veyselmaster what is the approximate thickness of the rosette? The superb workmanship of the rosette is just incredible.
Thanks for sharing
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-31-2008 at 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by veyselmaster
No trade jameel I says to you george nahad make oud style .
because you make very nice oud
best regards:applause:

Thank you! I'm glad you are taking care of these wonderful ouds.

veyselmaster
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-2-2008 at 02:12 AM

Dear Jdowning
The rosettes are made of ivory .The thickness is more or less 3 milimetres.The midell of the rosette is the name Abdo Nahad, around there are the names of different makams.
regards
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-2-2008 at 05:23 AM

Thank you veyselmaster. Although ivory allows the carving of fine detail, the delicate tracery of the rosette is nothing short of astonishing workmanship and design. It is surprising (and fortunate) also that the rosette has survived for a century without significant damage. Hopefully the oud will be preserved for another century for future generations to admire and study.
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-2-2008 at 05:33 AM

John,

This is actually a simpler design for the Nahats. Executed flawlessly of course. The most incredible shamsa produced by the Nahats must be the one from Hamza El Din's 1930 Abdo Nahat. See below. You can read more about this incredible oud here: http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=1092#pid723...

jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-2-2008 at 10:02 AM

Thanks Jameel. It is humbling to witness such fine craftsmanship - but a standard to aim for (even if unachievable for most mortals). The image that you post seems to be about twice full size making the detailed work even more incredible to contemplate.
Are there any tool marks in evidence on the shamsa to indicate how the design was executed - fine saw marks, file marks or knife marks or a combination? I imagine that a tool more rigid and precise than a handsaw or file held and used freehand must have been employed to avoid inevitable breakages of the delicate filigrees during the course of the work? Perhaps a simple foot operated type of jewellers scroll saw or filing machine where the work is firmly supported on a table and guided about a vertical, oscillating blade or file held in a frame? I wonder how long it took to complete?
dandana
Oud Addict

Mood: observer!

[*] posted on 2-3-2008 at 01:32 AM

incredible, first time i can contemplate in high definition this wonderful shamsa... what a wonder.

can u jameel, if u have the info, tell us more about what jdowning is asking about? the method of fabrication?
DaveH
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-3-2008 at 06:57 AM

Both these shams are amazing from the craftmanship point of view. But I was wondering if someone with a better grasp of arabic and music theory than me can explain what their structure means. Both seem to divide the maqamat into four groups but I can't understand what these groups are. The really ornate one posted by Jameel also seems to have a further 14 subdivisions. What's the basis of this? And does anyone know why Abdo decided in particular to go for 48 maqamat in total. Is this number significant in any way?
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-3-2008 at 09:25 AM

I'm using a good quality scroll saw (Dewalt, but there are better saws) and jeweler's blades run at almost the slowest rpm. This setup is capable of extremely fine work. I think it's capable of cutting the Abdo maqamat rose, along with some skill. I think Abdo probably just used a jeweler's saw. I don't think I file would be much use in such cramped spaces. See the pic, this is an area where you can see the width of the saw kerf only. Cutting this with a typical jeweler's saw is completely doable. It just takes practice to get the feel for how to use the saw. A beginner will break lots of blades and even the work itself, but in time, extremely fine work can be accomplished. It is after all a jeweler's saw, used for cutting very fine filigree on tiny objects like, well, jewelery. :D

jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-4-2008 at 10:28 AM

What I had in mind was a treadle operated saw - essentially a jeweller's saw modified to be guided in bearings with a return spring - so that exact vertical movement of the saw can be maintained and blade speed infinitely and precisely controlled (as slow as you wish) - the work being supported at all times on the saw table. A saw of this kind can be easily and cheaply made and - of course - does not require a source of electrical power. I have not made one (yet) but I imagine that fitted with the finest 4/0 blade (0.008" kerf) it would be up to the task in the right hands.
An article on how to make and operate such a saw can be found in Fine Woodworking magazine #27 March/April 1981 entitled.
"A Jigsaw for Cutting Delicate Stock" by luthier Ken Parker of New York City who uses the saw for cutting pearl inlay for arch top guitars.

Go To Top