Printable Version  
Author: Subject: gut frets
Raby
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-5-2008 at 07:10 AM
gut frets

Hi !
I have to change gut fret on a luth and I want know if someone can give me some advise ? Wich kind of node is better ?
thanks

jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-5-2008 at 07:33 AM

A good tutorial on tying frets is by luthier David van Edwards at
http://www.vanedwards.co.uk
His first example using a simple 'parcel knot' is the one that I use - it is easy to make and small in size. This is to make a single fret - which I prefer as there is less chance of the strings 'buzzing' as they can do over a double fret (and it is more economic use of gut as well) - but he also gives instructions on tying a double fret if you prefer. Note that this simple knot can only be used with gut frets - gut having a good 'grip'. Nylon frets are 'slippery' and require a special double knot to hold securely. Nylon frets last a long time but are relatively hard and can reduce string life.
I also use graduated frets - ie the fret diameter reduces gradually from the first to last fret - in order to keep the action as low as possible, but this again is a matter of preference.
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-5-2008 at 08:39 AM

For your information Raby - the attached images show two examples of completed fret knots - the single fret is gut, the double fret is nylon (soft nylon fishing line - not hard nylon lute strings). As you can see, the knot on the double fret is more cumbersome because it has been double tied to prevent the nylon slipping.
In order to tension each fret sufficiently, the fret must first be tied tightly higher on the fingerboard and then slid down to its required position - the taper of the fingerboard providing additional tension to the fret. Be careful not to overtighten the fret and score the back of the neck with the fret knot when you slide the fret down to its final position - as I have done in this example. In this case the neck is soft maple stained black so is easily dented. This might be less of a problem if a neck is veneered with ebony.
Note also that the knots on the gut frets have been scorched close into the knot itself to provide better security of the knot. I use a small soldering iron for this as it is easier to control than an open flame.
Hope this helps.
Raby
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-5-2008 at 11:20 AM

Thanks a lot for the information Mr Jdowning!

Raby
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-5-2008 at 11:23 AM

In my research I found another really interesting site with good pictures :
http://john.redmood.com/lutefret.html

Go To Top