Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Learn Maqamat on the OUD - VERSION 2
Oud.Proff
Oud Junkie

Mood: Sunbati Obsession

light.gif posted on 2-5-2008 at 11:13 AM
Learn Maqamat on the OUD - VERSION 2

Hello everyone,

I'd like to pronounce the launching of my CD (actually a DVD, to be played on a PC) "Learn Maqamat on the OUD". Well, I have been hibernating for the past few months putting the final touches on the DVD. The fact of the matter is, I started this whole idea years after I started to accumulate an archive of files for myself actually regarding Maqamat, as I came across several oud teachers from different schools (Egypt, Syria and Iraq).

It has been stated by many musicologists that the Western music has basically 2 scales (Major and Minor) as compared to the Arabic/Eastern music which is strongly believed to contain well beyond 200 Maqams, despite there is an increasing consensus that many different Maqams can be actually unified, ending up with a less number of Maqams eventually. Consider too, that the last international musicology conference regarding Arabic music and it's Maqams was held in Cairo back in 1932 !!, there has been an enormous degree of discrepancies regarding naming of many Maqamat, and description of their scales. Nonetheless, my intense discussions with great Iraqi musicians made me realize that the Iraqi school is one of the most extremely rich and unique school of music Maqams. The same thing of course applies on Arabic music from the Western side of Arabia (e.g. Tunisia & Algeria). So, what I'm trying to say here is ……all in all……there is a BIG number of Arabic music Maqams and that they entail so many details to be explored !

Through the past few years, I've noticed the clear interest from the Western World in Eastern/Arabic music and was often impressed how steeped some Westerner oud players were in Arabic music and the oud in particular. Well…therefore, and to make a long story short, I've decided to make the first announcement about this DVD here at Mike's amongst friends and great oud enthusiasts. I'd also state a simple word of plain truth as well at this point, some people may get a wrong impression regarding my ID name "Oud.Proff". Well, it is a slogan stuck with me by a friend one night and I got stuck with that name ever since ! So it is no more than just an online name for surfing the net and signifying my love and passion to the oud, although I originally played the piano during early childhood but then switched to the oud some 20 years ago.

In this DVD I hope I'll be presenting this vastly versatile type of information about Maqamat in this "compact" form "a Disc". Well, one would probably ask, what would this DVD offer differently from other resources, aside from the fact that it sums up many facts regarding Maqamat in a single package?

Well, what I found more important to tackle at one point during the making of this DVD is not only the presentation of a Maqam's sequence of tones, but rather the exposure of it's "soul and personality". See, a single sequence of tones can be tackled differently to present a certain "Maqam" personality. This is of particular importance especially with theoretically identical "transposes" (i.e., Tasaweer), but of practically and actually different flavor/soul !

Some of the things I've also tackled in this DVD are some subtle advanced issues about Maqamat, in the form of explanatory videos as well as schematics and text. For example, in Western Music, the tone Sol-G bimol is equivalent of the tone Fa-F diez (on the piano or the guitar…..right??). Well on the oud believe it or not….they are not !! Also, the same note (Mi-E half bimol) exists in different scales (Maqams) such as Maqam Rast, Maqam Segah and Maqam Bayyat. Well….again, believe it or not….this note is actually/practically different among the fore-mentioned Maqams !! Also, the concept of what's known as the "Sensible Note" (Hassas) is also tackled. This is all tackled in the CD and exposed in video and schematic formats…..since….."SEEING IS BELIEVING", as well as text format.

One thing that I think is fascinating as well, is that I've constructed what I call: the "Maqam Pocket Book" !! It is basically a very simplified abstract information (in a single PDF file) containing the debriefing of all Maqams included in this DVD, and I actually put this file into my very cell phone and access it whenever I forget something about Maqamat !...I really love that feature, and it is included in the DVD.
Often times I was asked to present educational video clips on my YouTube channel (http://uk.youtube.com/user/OudProff). However, I always found it to be "Mission Impossible" to present 50+ different educational videos about Maqamat without some preliminary/prerequisite content that I now managed to put in the DVD. Therefore, I'm NOW planning on establishing a special series of videos (as follow up to the DVD) aboard YouTube in order to fill necessary type of information as a bonus to DVD owners.

Another feature I found interesting and used in the DVD is the use of a "Fretted Oud" !. Well, the frets are actually liner drawings on the fingerboard and are rather hypothetical and not real separators. But I think this type of presentation rendered a tough job real easy, in most explanatory videos in the DVD.

Here is a list of Maqamat names discussed in the DVD: Ajam, Jiharkah, Shawq Afza, Mazmoom, Ajam Kurdi, Ajam Osheiran, Nawa Athar, Nikriz, Athar Kord, Husar, Segah, Huzam, Iraq, Bastanikar, Rahat Arwah, Musta'ar, Segah Baladi, Frihnak, Maya. Awshar, Bayyat, Shoori, Huseini, Huseini Osheiran Nahaft, Nahawand, Sultani Yagah, Nahawand Kurdi, Dasht, Lawk, Farah Faza, Busalik, Sunbulah, Oshaq Masri, Rast, Suznak, Zaweel, Nairooz, Yagah, Mahoor, Suzdalara, Hijaz, Hijaz Ajami, Hijaz Kar, Shadd Araban, Shahnaz, Suzdal, Turkish Jihar Kah, Zanjaran, Saba, Saba Zamzamah, Saba Busalik, Saba Osheiran, Kord, Hijaz Kar Kord, Tarzanwin, Lami.

I was really hoping that the DVD release time to have been some several months past, but the immense technical, design, and legal issues actually took a lot of time as well as money, and caused me to be that late.

A video clip glimpsing some flashes and some features of the DVD shall be posted soon on my YouTube channel.

Please keep in mind, this DVD is basically a multimedia presentation that requires a PC (no DVD player/Mac).

Reserve your copy directly through email (oud.proff@gmail.com).

Best regards,
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: chords prefer frets

[*] posted on 2-5-2008 at 11:23 AM

Congratulations Oudproff !, Will reserve my copy soon & thankyou for your enduring contribution to us all.
nayoud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Meditative

[*] posted on 2-5-2008 at 03:12 PM

Congrats Oud Proff ..... tell us how to buy it when you finally release it ... thanks

Hisham
Oud.Proff
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-6-2008 at 01:15 AM

Thanks a lot charlie and nayoud. I will let you know once the pack in hand. Today I was told by the publisher it's gonna be less than a week. Will post a clip about the DVD on my YouTube channel and pass the link here soon too.

Take care,
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
zalzal
Oud Junkie

Mood: still alive

[*] posted on 2-6-2008 at 01:17 AM

Same as nayoud, congrats and tell us how to buy (europe france) how to pay.
The cover is very nice, aesthetically relaxing.
It will be for sure an excellent ressource.

Melbourne
Oud Junkie

Mood: راحة الأرواح

[*] posted on 2-6-2008 at 01:56 AM

:bounce:

Fantastic. Good stuff Oud.Proff - Looking forward to receiving my copy.
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 2-6-2008 at 10:01 AM

Hi oud prof - count me in too, I'll order one when they are ready.

Best regards

Leon
michoud
Oud Junkie

Mood: in the mooud again..

[*] posted on 2-6-2008 at 05:09 PM

:applause:
Oud.Proff
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-9-2008 at 02:40 AM
DVD post on YouTube

Hello everyone :),

Here is a breif video presentation about the DVD:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8381220800689096707

Take care :wavey:,
O.P.
nayoud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Meditative

[*] posted on 2-9-2008 at 07:46 AM

Oud proff

I sent you an email

Hisham
DaveH
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-9-2008 at 11:05 AM

Alf mabrouk Oudproff, this really looks like a superb and very valuable project. Especially for people who can't easily access teachers. Watching the youtube trailer, it's like having a teacher in the room! A teacher who runs informative captions across your field of vision when he modulates!!!

Can I just ask - is the DVD fully bilingual?

And just one suggestion, though I might be wrong about this. I believe the more appropriate English translation for "hassas" might be "sensitive" note, rather than "sensible" - "sensible" = rational (of a person), whereas "sensitive" = adapting to a particular (in this case musical) context. People often get confused it they have learned the french "sensible" = rational. Forgive me if I've misunderstood your intention in translating this word.

Congratulations once again.
Oud.Proff
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-9-2008 at 03:18 PM

Dear Dave,

Thanks to you a lot.

Yes indeed, the DVD is bilingual.....English/Arabic.

Regarding the "Hassas". I remember I had this discussion with a musicologist (an Iraqi, but a graduate of Eastern Europe) specialized in violin. It rather seems to me that the word "Sensible Note" is more of a term. Here is some net search as well to support this (aside from the French stance; as sensible):
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Sensible+note
http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/V_SENSIBLE_NOTE.HTM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensible_note

There also seems to be less consensus with the term "sensitive note", from the net again (actually I haven't seen any).

What the Hassas does is it makes the scale more appealing/acceptable to the normal ear. So in other words, it's the ear that is "sensitive" to this "sensible" note.

By the way, as in published books or other publications in general, mistakes take place all the time. So I'm open more than any other time for feedback and suggestions from everyone.
This is actually much appreciated Dave. Feel free and please let me know if there are proofs/resources supporting your suggestion.

Comments on this issue (Hassas), as well as other stuff from all members of the forum are more than appreciated.

Thanks again buddy :wavey:

O.P.
Marina
Oud Junkie

Mood: Enthusiastic

[*] posted on 2-10-2008 at 12:20 PM

Oud.Proff
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-11-2008 at 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marina

:wavey:
DaveH
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-11-2008 at 09:01 AM

I stand corrected, oudproff! - though I think the french term "note sensible" predates the English one. Anyway, this looks like a really thorough guide at a reasonable price. Good luck with it and I think you'll be getting an order from me soon.

Cheers

David
Oud.Proff
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-16-2008 at 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveH
I stand corrected, oudproff! - though I think the french term "note sensible" predates the English one. Anyway, this looks like a really thorough guide at a reasonable price. Good luck with it and I think you'll be getting an order from me soon.

Cheers

David

Thanks for the interaction Dave ;)
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 2-23-2008 at 09:29 AM

Thanks OP for getting this DVD together! reserve me one as well buddy!
Oud.Proff
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-24-2008 at 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MatthewW
Thanks OP for getting this DVD together! reserve me one as well buddy!

My dear MatthewW,

It would be my very pleasure to reserve one for you buddy !. Thanks again for the kind encouragement since the early days to this project.
cjmichael
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-28-2008 at 05:14 PM

You'll be getting an E-mail from me Prof. I had wondered where you've been.
Oud.Proff
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-1-2008 at 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cjmichael
You'll be getting an E-mail from me Prof. I had wondered where you've been.

Hey cjmichael ;)

Been around, thought the same thing about you actually !

See you around "more"
Amer
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-1-2008 at 02:58 PM

Hi OudProff,

I've recieved the DVD and I must say that this is the best comprehensive digital resource of material put together for Maqamat and Oud learning!!! :airguitar:

This is BIG man, Oud players around the world bow in respect and appreciation! :bowdown:

Cyberquills
Oud Junkie

Mood: resonant

[*] posted on 3-1-2008 at 03:21 PM

Hi OP

Well Done, WELL DONE INDEED! YOur work will be an invaluable tool for everyone wishing to improve their skills on the oud.

CQ
Oud.Proff
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-2-2008 at 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Amer
Hi OudProff,

I've recieved the DVD and I must say that this is the best comprehensive digital resource of material put together for Maqamat and Oud learning!!! :airguitar:

This is BIG man, Oud players around the world bow in respect and appreciation! :bowdown:

Dear Amer and Dear CQ,

Thank you very much you guys, I'm humbled. It's very fulfilling to see your satisfaction with this effort on the DVD.
I hope to present more, as I'm already working on some updates and additional material (for version 2 of the DVD?).

My best wishes to all of you,
O.P.
Abusaid
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-3-2008 at 07:46 AM

:applause: Alf mabruk oud.proff. I've seen the video presentation on youtube, it's really great for oud lerning.
ozeri
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 3-4-2008 at 05:14 AM

Just got my DVD yesterday .... superb !
So well done and so jam packed with information.
I have,in just a few hours,vastly increased my skill on the oud
as well as my appreciation for the instrument.
If someone is thinking about getting this DVD from, I totally
recommend that you do.
No better learning tool available period...this is it.
Thank you Oudproff
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top