Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bint El Shalabiyya Sheet Music REVISED
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 2-7-2008 at 05:06 PM
Bint El Shalabiyya Sheet Music REVISED

Greetings Oudis,

A forum member kindly (and discreetly) pointed out some mistakes in my transcription of "Bint El Shalabiyya." I went back and re-listened to the Fairuz recording and have revised the sheet music, correcting the mistakes and making some additional refinements:

1) The 2/4 bar is eliminated;
2) The whole note "C" at the the last bar of the "A" section (1st time) is a HALF NOTE, starting on the 3rd beat;
3) The dotted half-note "C" at last bar of the "A" section (2nd time) is a QUARTER NOTE on the 3rd beat;
4) The last note of the "B" section is a whole note "D" (not "C");
5) Coda ending is 3 bars long, ending on the 1 beat of the third bar;
6) I have added some instructions regarding the Intro;
7) The last note of the Intro is held for 3 bars (not 2 bars) in the beginning of the Fairuz source recording.

The notes are thus parsed a bit differently; the "B" section comes more abruptly; and the "B" section does not resolve to the tonic ("C"), but to "D," which functions more as a "leading" tone back to the "A" section.

Thanks to all!

Salaam/Shalom/Shlama/Khoda Hafez,
John
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 2-8-2008 at 04:27 AM

Thanks for posting this lovely bit of scored music John. There is a shorter version on Isssa's website as well. I have found this song to be a real gem of a composition, not too difficult to play yet full of charm and depth, and I think it's a very good compostion for anyone learning oud to learn. It also lends itself well to improvisation within the maqam nahawand. regards, MW
stringmanca
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud Moud

[*] posted on 2-8-2008 at 09:20 AM

Thanks, John, for posting this (and the previous version)! We're currently working this up and it's a fun song to play (and my wife sings it very nicely)!

I'm going from memory here, but I think you'll find that the descending quarter notes in the bridge (lines 6 and 7) actually start with a dotted quarter and an eighth note.

Also, the last measure in the bridge (with the D whole note) has a cool little ascending instrumental line that leads back to the bridge: C D Eb F (eighth notes on beats 3 and 4) ending on a G on the first beat of the verse.

Just going for completeness here - thanks again,
Nathan
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 2-8-2008 at 09:47 AM

Hi Nathan,

Thanks. The version I posted is extremely "stripped down." I don't really play it that way. I want to encourage Forum members to post any corrections or refinements they see fit. Even better, I think this song is an excellect vehicle for melodic embellishment and laazima (fillers), and it would be very interesting to see some written out. Embellishing Middle Eastern folk melodies is an art unto itself and I am still learning...

Peace,
John
stringmanca
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud Moud

[*] posted on 2-8-2008 at 11:52 AM

Agreed! :D
jshead
Oud Junkie

Mood: Peace

[*] posted on 2-8-2008 at 02:45 PM

Go To Top