Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: new oud here
q8oud
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-8-2008 at 11:15 PM
new oud here

Hello guys, i've just bought my first oud, its an egyptian traditional oud, 11 strings, and i've tuned it using AP tuner, the method i used is this:

G A d g c

i was wondering if this is the best method for "arabian/egyptian" ouds, and i'm just learning from zero i cant even read notes yet :),

other thing is when i tuned it using AP tuner, some letters were like G3 or G2, instead of plain G, is that normal or am doing something wrong here?

thanks,
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 2-9-2008 at 05:09 AM

hi q8oud- there are differnt ways to tune your oud, it all depends on what you are doing musically speaking. scroll down and check out this thread in the FAQa:
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=6809

One very common Arabic tuning, from low to high, is:
c,ff,aa,dd,gg,cc. This is the tuning used by the oud player in the video clips in the 'learn to play oud' section of this website. If you tune your oud this way, then play along with the guy in the video clips to the various maqams and how to use them, many players have found this a really good way to get started on oud. good luck!
q8oud
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-9-2008 at 09:59 PM

Thank you so much MatthewW for your time, appreciate yourhelp..
finally i tuned it right, hehehe, now need to learn how to play something real....

thanks.

Go To Top