Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Quest For Song
Abu Raheema
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-9-2008 at 10:37 PM
Quest For Song

Hey all:

A long time ago a friend placed me a piece of what I think is traditional takht music, I have no idea what the name of it is or anything.

This is what I can say:

* It is a traditional song with a very traditional melody

* The intro features a solo between an oud, a ney and maybe a qanun - each one solos on the same melody for about 4 - 5 minutes before the percussion unites them.

* Right before the percussion starts the oud and the qanun play three rising notes twice in a row

I've been looking for this piece FOREVER! I am now in Qatar and want to see if I can find it.

ANY and ALL suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance

Abu Raheema
Michael_al_faaris
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 2-11-2008 at 07:24 AM

Your description would fit the tune Muhabbet as played on the Gypsy Fire album, with Hagopian on oud. It has kanun (turkish armenian, hence spelled with a "k"), oud and violin trading segments of the introduction, which lasts over four minutes before starting the distinctive three note hijaz motiff of the egyptian folk tune Ayazein on the kanun, with percussion then coming in dramatically in iqa duyek (a turkish maqsoum rhythm). Tekbilek is on the album, but not on this tune as far as I can tell. I have transcibed Hagopian's oud solo, for those out there who read music.

Or maybe it's just a coincidence that your description fits this recording. Besides having violin instead of ney, it is not traditional takht instrumentation either, which would just have riqq for percussion instead or darbukka.

As for finding it, when I search for "Muhabbet" on itunes, this recording comes out at the top of the list, so at least it should be easy to find if you have internet access. If I could figure out how to convert my m4a file to mp3 and then post it, I could send it along.
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-11-2008 at 07:29 AM

Is there any chance you could post Hagopian's oud solo?? It would be great to have.

Abu Raheema
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-11-2008 at 09:22 AM

MICHAEL - I LOVE YOU!

I owe you MILLIONS! That't it! Wow! Let me know if you ever need anything, wow, that song is amazing.

THANK YOU

Abu Raheema
Johnny_Be_Oud
Oud Lover

Mood: My mOud is gOud!

[*] posted on 2-11-2008 at 12:04 PM

Quote:
If I could figure out how to convert my m4a file to mp3 and then post it, I could send it along.

Hey Michael,

Go to iTunes preferences > Advanced > Importing >
Import using: MP3 encoder
>click OK to close the prefs window

Now highlight the tune in your iTunes playlist > go to top Menu >
Advanced > Convert Selection to MP3 - in about a minute it's done.

To find the converted tune, go to your iTunes music library and click "date added" or find it alphabetically.

best,
John

PS. I'd love to see the transcribed solo too!
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-11-2008 at 04:21 PM

Guys--the music industry is falling apart. If you want the track, pay the 99 cents!

Michael_al_faaris
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 2-12-2008 at 07:10 AM

Jonathan is absolutely correct. Even if I ever post music here for someone's convenience, I admire these great musicians and suggest that people who can afford a set of strings should buy the CDs, preferably multiple copies, giving the extra copies to your friends as gifts.

The solo transcription is ready to post in pdf, but again I am a newbie and unsure how to do it. Let's see....

Nope. Can't figure it out. Do I need to get it into jpg format, or can I somehow attach the pdf file to a post? While awaiting advice, I will see if I can find the answer on my own. Maybe tonight I can get this done.

I have transcribed the melody also, separate file, because some of the guys I play with prefer printed music to learning by ear.

Abu - Post pictures from Qatar and report back on the music scene there.

Jonathan - I'll be in LA next month to catch SK ensemble at Cal Fullerton, 3/6/08. I will come with my Shehata oud, violin, riqq and tabla. It would be fun to meet some more of you socal guys

John - Thanks for the tech tip. Please advise on how to attach stuff to my posts.

mike
DaveH
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-12-2008 at 10:49 AM

Mike, click the 'post reply' button --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------\|/
(don't type in the reply window at the bottom of the page). A new page will come up with an attachment input box a little below the typing window. Use the "browse" button beside it to find the file.

D
Michael_al_faaris
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 2-12-2008 at 12:49 PM

Thanks, Dave.

Notes on transcription:

Finale Print does not provide good handling of half flats, so the awji is written as if it were a b (si) natural.

I cannot play this at Hagopian's tempo (at 90% I start to get too sloppy; trying to stay relaxed while increasing the tempo of this solo is a good exercise, in my opinion).

This is not carefully proofread

I use the "Amazing Slow-Downer" software not only to transcribe, but also to play along for practice and to adjust tuning (like playing Rahim Alhaj's "When The Soul is Settled" at concert 440 pitch)
Michael_al_faaris
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 2-12-2008 at 12:54 PM
solo transcription

When at first you don't succeed...:shrug:
Johnny_Be_Oud
Oud Lover

Mood: My mOud is gOud!

[*] posted on 2-12-2008 at 02:06 PM

Haha yeah Michael - that's a burning solo!
Great job on the transcription and thanks for putting the time location, you're a pro! :bowdown:

I just glanced at it and I know how time consuming that is to try to input the rhythms.
Small point: I think there could be a tie from the last 16th of measure 5 to the first on m.6
Do you have any other transcriptions?

thanks,

John
Michael_al_faaris
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 2-13-2008 at 07:20 AM

Since there are no oud players I know about in Arizona who are of anywhere near the caliber of Afif Taian or Naser Musa (the two oudists in southern California from whom I have the pleasure of receiving some instruction and connection - buy their CDs!!), I have to figure a lot out on my own. I have a handful of other solos under construction, but by coincidence I had this one finished because it was short enough and I wanted to play it as close as I could to the original. I will survey my files and get back regarding what I have available, probably on a new thread.

The accuracy of anything I transcribe is simply my best effort, and my ears are certainly not better than anybody else's. Sometimes I might write what I can play myself while fully aware that it is not the same as what what the artist played. The first half of measure ten is such an approximation. Regarding measure 6, I thought I heard the risha hit distinctively on the downbeat. Anybody learning a solo should probably strive to make it their own any way.

Back on the subject of this particular tune, left me proofread my transcription of the head and I will post it soon.
Michael_al_faaris
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 2-13-2008 at 08:48 AM
Transcription of Muhabbet melody (head)

The Ney player in my group learns faster from written music, so I have a larger library of' chorus transcriptions than solos.

Note that this transcription is approximate, because the kanun, violin, oud (and guitar also) are playing in "approximate" unison [heterophony]. I could insert some of the embellishments from the recording (for example the guitar arpeggio in measure 21 or the descending violin riff in measure 23), but the purpose of this transcription was to establish the basic melody.

I need to look into whether the forum has a designated place for exchanging transcriptions. I actually favor learning by ear. Taqsims are not readily transcribed because of the liberal use of rubato and notes held for undefined counts. Nonetheless, I sometimes write out long solos, because I may have to study them over several months and don't want to forget the parts I have already figured out.
Jonathan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-14-2008 at 06:44 AM

Thanks, Michael. You're going to be in LA on Thursday, March 6?? The weekend too? It would be nice if we could get a group of members together.

Michael_al_faaris
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 2-14-2008 at 08:05 PM

See Mike's thread about "a few things."

Some of my favorite players are playing Thursday: Afif, Rachid Halihal, Naser, and Souhail. Would not miss the CSUF concert for anything.

I will come equipped to play. Whether I drive home Saturday or Sunday depends on what's going on.

Mike

Go To Top