Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Lavouto strings
cannotcompute
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-11-2008 at 11:14 AM
Lavouto strings

Hey everyone
Anyone know a webiste where I can order strings for a mainland lauto? They're supposed to be (from what I know) Cc Gg Dd AA from low to high...right now I'm using Oud strings and it sounds great with unison strings but the real sound is with the octave double strings...
Anyone know?
Thanks
Johnny_Be_Oud
Oud Lover

Mood: My mOud is gOud!

[*] posted on 2-11-2008 at 11:34 AM

Hi,
Contact Richard Coco, Jr. at La Bella strings, tell him what gauges and string materials you want and I'm pretty sure he can make you a custom set.
Good luck,
John
teslim
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-11-2008 at 03:56 PM

I am not sure if you are referring to lavta or laouto....lavta has oud strings in pairs usually tuned dada low to high with the high A being the only unwound....mainland laouto uses steel strings tuned as you mentioned...cgda...cga being in octaves with the lower of the pair on the side closet to you as you are looking down at the instrument....also the g is the lowest coarse even though it is the 2nd pair of strings.. the high a's are in unison.you can make a set out of regular guitar strings,,, d"addario work great.. U2U me if you want specifics about gauges...Maestro is the usual greek maker of string sets but i find their mainland set a bit on the heavy side....which will sometimes raise the action, you might find these at diodinos.com or they might be able to direct you to a source...he makes laoutos...all the best

Go To Top