Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: JT Strikes Again
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 2-14-2008 at 02:58 AM
JT Strikes Again

Due to space limitations, I recently removed some files from my website. A couple of those removed were from JT’s last live album, “Epiphany.” As there had been a link to them on these forums, a few people have asked me for them.
So I have them up again for a short while and they may be downloaded from: http://www.worldmusiccafe.info/files
The two pieces are "Café Riche" (7.3 MB) and “Oasis” (5.4 MB)

Joe’s next album is due out towards the end of March. This one, called “Angel” is a suite of fourteen related pieces. I guess you could call it a concept album. I've been lucky enough to hear five tracks and I love what I've heard. This is a more mellow JT. The pieces are more emotional than anything on his previous albums. Whilst his playing is great, I think this album is more about Joe the composer.
I predict someone will grab this music and use it in a film.

I feel sure Joe will make a track (or two) available for download, but this can not be done until the official release. I can’t wait for you guys to hear this. And I can't wait to hear all 77 minutes of it, myself. :applause:

Apart from Joe, the players are Matt McMahon - piano, Dimitri Vouras - clarinet and James Tawadros - bendir and req.
abusin
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ya Fuadi La Tasal

[*] posted on 2-14-2008 at 04:31 AM

Hi Greg,

JT is an awesome musician and best of all a very productive one:xtreme:
I will always have a space in my library for a new compelation by JT,

I like the cover Greg it's beautifull,

let us know Greg when its out,

best regards to you and JT

Awad
corridoio
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-14-2008 at 08:11 AM

powerful!
oasis reminds me the same amazing impression makes to me the trio gateway in a jazz festival 10 years ago where I was at the stage mixer
great JT! amazing technique, really beautiful rhythmics.. all this without becoming the aseptic, cold music of some of these "gymnasts" of oud
really impressive.
ale.
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

Mood: ouds up

[*] posted on 2-14-2008 at 06:29 PM

hey guys

wow i love his music .!!!! thx greg you rock as always..... JT you know my answer and james as well you rock on a percussion level as yr bro on a oud level lol.

thx sammy

we are lost camels in the desert and wanna find our way to water and the water is in aden
Greg
Administrator

[*] posted on 2-17-2008 at 12:04 AM

Below are some photos Joe asked me to re-size for the forums.

We hear stories of groups booking a studio for weeks (sometimes months) to record an album. I guess there will never be budgets for that sort of excess in the world music scene. But it says a lot about the quality of the musicians when you can record a full album of 14 tracks in one 12 hour session. Angel was recorded in that time on January 4th, 2008.
Joe says there were some compromises, due to the limitations on studio time, but I couldn't hear any on the five tracks I heard.

Regards,

Greg
Greg
Administrator

[*] posted on 3-18-2008 at 12:24 AM
It's been released

"Angel" was released a few days ago and I got my copy today. I haven't even had a chance to listen to it, but I will tonight

It's a really nice package that folds out into 4 sections, with bios on each of the musicians.

It is available online from:
http://www.birdland.com.au:8080/Birdland/catalogue/category634/p474...

Regards,

Greg
Monty88
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-18-2008 at 05:25 AM

I saw Joseph at Womadelaide, with his brother james superb bassist ben rodgers.
I'd never heard this trio before, but all i can say is that it worked perfectly.
Joseph is playing better than ever, just superb. He really knows what he's doing, never resorting to trickery or "the john mclaughlin" syndrome, for the sake of it. Only, for tradition. His oud sounded superb too, using a combination of Mic and plugged in, using an under-saddle pickup. You would think it would get muddy being in a close register to the bass, but each note was articulate and pronounced.

What got me though were some of his compositions, like the lullaby and cafe riche. Just perfect. We watched (me and some fellow band members, who come from classical and irish folk backgrounds!) were just in awe of the beauty of the pieces being played. The only problem was a goddamn brass band playing in the distance, the racket they made bled into the performance. But Joseph just played and made it better with plenty of jokes. And I can't say good enough things about James on req, and Ben on bass. All three musicians showed virtuosity of the highest calibre. This is a trio that truly works. World class.

JT DEFINATLY strikes again!
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 3-18-2008 at 08:11 AM

Just got my copy in the mail yesterday. Haven't had a chance to listen yet, but I'm sure if it is anything as good as his last CDs, it's gonna be fabulous. Many thanks JT & James!

JT
Unregistered

[*] posted on 3-30-2008 at 03:33 AM
Tracks available for listening

Hey Guys,

Just thought you'd like to know that Radio Nationals The Weekend Planet featured my new album ANGEL and it is available for listening on the net here:

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/weekendplanet/stories/2008/2194796.htm

Tracks are dispersed in the two hours, so consult the playlist for track listings...

Hope you enjoy!!;)

JT
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 3-30-2008 at 04:46 AM

Greetings Joseph! Love that JT special oud of yours. Could I ask you a technical question- When you use the JT special in a live performance do you use also a mic, and if so which one, or do you only use the line out from the oud? Thanks mate- MW
Cyberquills
Oud Junkie

Mood: resonant

[*] posted on 3-30-2008 at 05:45 AM

Excellent work. Can't wait to get my copy. :airguitar:

CQ
JT
Unregistered

[*] posted on 3-30-2008 at 02:28 PM

Thanks for the comments guys.
To answer Mathews question, I only use a mic(usually a condenser) when I can. The pick-up is usually for out doors or with large and loud ensembles that have drum kit etc, and even then I use a combination of mic and pick-up.

Cheers,

JT
Basho
Oud Lover

Mood: harmony

[*] posted on 3-31-2008 at 06:03 AM

I´m waiting for my copy too and one week ago I recieved my JT oud from mr Turunz!:applause:
Could I ask one question, what strings do you use for your oud?

K
JT
Unregistered

[*] posted on 3-31-2008 at 06:28 AM

Hello Basho,

Congrats on the oud man, I hope you play it in good health! Post some pics of it when you can.

I find the standard Pyramid Arabic set (orange colour packet) work best on my oud...

Hope you guys enjoy the album!

Wishing you the best as always,

JT
gregorypause
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 4-1-2008 at 11:42 PM

JT, thanks for posting that link to the ABC radio. I am now enjoying your beautiful music at the office! What an amazing sound your Faruk Turunz oud has. Yislamu yiddak.
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 4-2-2008 at 12:06 AM

Hi Joseph

How are you doing mate?? Fantastic music - I was just listening to the link and I love the piece 'soul' it has shades of Anouar Brahem but is more emotional and 'romantic'. I love your playing because you don't hide your feelings behind too much technique or mock-sophistication and there is always the promise of a bit of fire.

Your Turunz oud has that shimmer in the sound that the best Turkish (Greek/Armenian!!!) ouds have and your playing really thrives on it.

Play in good heart my friend.

Leon
JT
Unregistered

[*] posted on 4-2-2008 at 05:44 PM

Thanks Leon and guys,

The Faruk Oud is a beauty thats for sure, its great to be associated with such a fine maker...

Hope you are enjoying Angel...

JT
Oud.Proff
Oud Junkie

Mood: Sunbati Obsession

[*] posted on 4-3-2008 at 11:02 AM

Dear Joseph, that was pretty impressive, as always !
You really rocked at that Oasis !!

Beautiful oud you got there, and more beautiful when played in the hands of a master like yourself :airguitar:

Isn't that the Osta Turnuz model named after you (7 course JT model; tuned as C FF AA DD gg cc ff)?
I really like it. Although never been a fan of more than classic 5-course ouds, I get the feeling of octave-fullness needed for oud soloist, and I'm really into it !

Thanks Greg for the post !
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
JT
Unregistered

[*] posted on 4-3-2008 at 03:13 PM

Hello Oud Proff.

Thanks for your compliments, theyre flattering. The oud actually used in Oasis is a 6 string. That recording and album(Epiphany) was before I had the 7 JT Model oud. Also, my 7 string is tuned C F AA DD GG CC FF meaning I have two single bass strings.

My new album Angel can be heard here where I play the JT Turunz 7 string oud - http://www.abc.net.au/rn/weekendplanet/stories/2008/2194796.htm

See playlist for details...

All the best,

JT
gregorypause
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 4-4-2008 at 05:06 AM

JT, thanks for the link again. I just ordered the CD after having listened to it on the net. I saw on your website that you've been to Hungary 2 years ago. Where did you play? Are you planning to come again?
Greg
Administrator

[*] posted on 4-4-2008 at 03:57 PM
Two MP3 downloads from "Angel"

Joe has left it to me to select two tracks from "Angel" to make available for download. There are 14 tracks to choose from, so I took the easy way out and uploaded the first two. These are part of the "Angel Suite in D" and I love them.
The pieces are called "Light" and "Spinning round" and they may be downloaded from http://www.worldmusiccafe.info/files

Enjoy.

Regards,

Greg
JT
Unregistered

[*] posted on 4-6-2008 at 12:18 AM

Hey Guys,

If you are interested, I wrote the music for a pop song called April Bloom by the fantastic Australian Singer LIOR. Its getting great reviews, so good to get your thoughts. You can find the clip here: http://www.lior.com.au - then click on April Bloom. I hope you in enjoy!

JT
Cyberquills
Oud Junkie

Mood: resonant

[*] posted on 4-6-2008 at 01:42 AM

Hi JT

Good stuff. Has a nice feel to it.

CQ
David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-6-2008 at 02:26 AM

Just received my copy of Joe's latest CD the other day, and I really can't recommend this one highly enough. It's different again from all the earlier CDs, and the oud just blends in so well with the other melody instruments (piano, clarinet) - sounds like it's meant to be there. It's so nice to be able to sit back and enjoy the music, rather than worrying if everything fits together right. Wish you every success with this latest project, Joe.

All the best

David

JT
Unregistered

[*] posted on 4-11-2008 at 08:15 PM

Hey Guys,

Long time no hear:)

Just thought you'd like to know that you can hear a live performance and interview here with my Quartet:

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/musicshow/stories/2008/2213427.htm

Check the playlist for details...All the best,

JT
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top