Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Prehistoric oud
chuckerbutty
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-12-2004 at 10:55 AM
Prehistoric oud

Hi folks

I'm trying to get some info on the the historic oud and its music. Something that really intrigues me is a diagram of an oud from 13th century Baghdad which shows it with (gut?) frets, meaning of course that it would be impossible to perform microtonal music on it.

Can a knowledgeable person help? Any pointers would be really appreciated.

Cheers.
nadir
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-12-2004 at 11:22 AM

Just wondering if you noticed that there were ten pegs and five strings (double stringed)? I'll translate the Arabic later if I can...
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 4-12-2004 at 11:33 AM

Gut frets are moved to produce microtones. Many instruments have movable frets for this purpose (bouzuq, tar, rebab, setar, saz, etc). The fretted oud is still play in Tunisia.

Whiile this exerpt is old, there are even older artifacts of ouds from 2,500 B.C. in the Pre-Sumarrian culture. The oud has been mentioned (by Rumi, as the barbat) in Persian literature dating from the 5th century.

chuckerbutty
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 4-12-2004 at 12:30 PM

Yes of course, I forgot that the frets could be moved - silly me!

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall reading somewhere that the early barbat was probably carved out of the solid instead of being built with ribs. I know that lutelike chordophones have developed independently in many cultures, but would you place the origin of the proto-oud in Persia/Mesopotamia?
wfspark
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud entranced!

[*] posted on 4-12-2004 at 12:56 PM
Prehistoric oud

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckerbutty
Yes of course, I forgot that the frets could be moved - silly me!

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall reading somewhere that the early barbat was probably carved out of the solid instead of being built with ribs. I know that lutelike chordophones have developed independently in many cultures, but would you place the origin of the proto-oud in Persia/Mesopotamia?
Hello Chuckerbutty. If I'm not mistaken, the oud was deffinatly carved out of one piece of wood, and was suggested that one of Adam's sons invented the oud.

William F. Sparks
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 4-12-2004 at 03:31 PM

The oud got it's current name from the Arabic wood for "wood". Barbat was/is the farsi word for that large lute thingy. The origin predates Persian and Meopotamian cultures by a couple thousand years, pre-Assyrian, pre-Babalonian, pre-Sumerian puts it around 5,000 years ago, way older than surviving written history. Recent digs are uncovering even older cultures, although I don't know if they have found evidence of music instruments yet. The oldest pitorial representation are rock carvings, without much detail about the construction of the oud/barbat. The earliest writing about the construction of the oud is from 11th century Arabic, which mentions vault construction. Before that is conjecture, myth and legend.

chuckerbutty
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 4-13-2004 at 12:35 AM
Turtle

On the subject of myth, it's interesting that the European lute was sometimes called the 'testudo' (Latin for turtle shell) during the Renaissance. Although it had evolved from the oud, writers and players of the time preferred to ignore the lute's Arab origins and portray it as a descendent of the ancient Greek lyre, which according to myth had been invented by stringing up a turtle shell. This despite the fact that the lute and the lyre are very different instruments.

I'm aware of the amazing cow-headed Sumerian harp that has survived, and that the ancient Egyptians had harps and long-necked lutes, but, as you say, it's a matter of conjecture as to how these things were played. What I'm trying to get here is an idea, however vague, of the medieval oud (say, 700 - 1300), based on the iconography and literature of the time - stuff like al-Farabi and al-Urmawi (from whose book, incidentally, the picture is taken).
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 4-13-2004 at 06:46 AM
Byzantine oud

Hi. Here are some pictures of icons of the late Byzantine era, with examples of instruments. You'll see the oud has the bass string below the trebles, just as in the older Arabic instruments.

Take care,

mav

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-13-2004 at 06:47 AM

One more:

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
chuckerbutty
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 4-13-2004 at 08:54 AM

Cheers for these great pics, Mav. It's interesting that the player in the first pic is holding his risha in such a way that it passes between the index finger and middle finger - never seen that before. These ouds look quite similar to the instrument that was was being played throughout Europe in the 14th century.
chuckerbutty
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 4-13-2004 at 08:56 AM
14th century lute:

mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-13-2004 at 08:59 AM

Hi. Thanks for your pics as well.

Yeah, the oud had many paths to take to Europe. The Moors in Spain, via the Byzantine Empire, and the all-popular Crusades of course. I'm pretty sure these icons were made around the time you said, perhaps even in the post-Byzantine period.

I got them from the solo oud CD by Antonis Apergis (OYTI).

The way the risha is held is still used by a lot of people, my teacher actually taught me that first before I switched to the more common way of holding it.

Take care,

mav

--Edgard Varèse
chuckerbutty
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 4-13-2004 at 09:02 AM

Here's an oud from an illustration of the tale of Bayed and Riyad - it's unusual in that it doesn't seem to have a soundhole. I've no idea how old this is. In fact the oud looks very similar to the modern Romanian cobza, which apparently has pretty much died out in the last few decades.
chuckerbutty
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 4-13-2004 at 09:05 AM

Romanian cobza - this one seems particularly ill-favoured, it's missing most of its strings and has a great big hole in the soundboard.
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-13-2004 at 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckerbutty
Romanian cobza - this one seems particularly ill-favoured, it's missing most of its strings and has a great big hole in the soundboard.

The big hole is completely normal on some cobzas.
For more iconography look atTurovsky and Edwards

Best wishes

Ronny
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-13-2004 at 10:38 AM

>The way the risha is held is still used by >a lot of people, my teacher actually >taught me that first before I switched to >the more common way of holding it.

I think this is because of the standing position.

Best wishes

Ronny
bluesyOud
Oud Maniac

Mood: Oudy

[*] posted on 4-13-2004 at 01:10 PM

VEry interesting topic guys!!!!I learned
many thing from it!!!!
I also hold the Risha the way it is
shown in the byzantine picture!!!
But in my case this is because I'm used
to the standard pick (as a guitarist).I
have developed a picking technique over the years on the guitar,and when I started playing the oud I found it very
difficult using the risha.
So I use the risha like a pick.I don't
know if this is very correct!!!!the future will show!!!!
Anyway if it's sounds good to me,it's allright!!!!!

:D:D
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-13-2004 at 01:55 PM

Hey bluesy,

Many people still use that technique, it's all about what's most comfortable for you man.

Enjoy, and experiment!

Take care,

mavros

--Edgard Varèse
nadir
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-13-2004 at 02:42 PM

Speaking of Byzantines, when I was at the Ayasofia, the workers discovered a mosaic portrait of St. John! The whole place isn't completely cleaned up yet, so lots of new things are still to be discovered! :bounce:

Go To Top