Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Special Arabic Oud For Salem Abdel Karem
veyselmaster
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud making

[*] posted on 2-17-2008 at 07:36 AM
Special Arabic Oud For Salem Abdel Karem

Hello Frend's
I want Share for Salem Abdel Karem special arabic oud .
The bridge is ıraque siystem and roses have two eyes .
Very strongly have sound .

Best wishes

http://www.veyselmuzik.com/salem.mp3

http://www.veyselmuzik.com
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
fadel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-17-2008 at 08:11 AM

اhi

salem master pleing of oud

nice dezain

how matsh praic

fadel

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
amtaha
Oud Junkie

Mood: beginner's frustration ...

[*] posted on 2-17-2008 at 10:10 AM

Not readily a fan of the "S" and the name writeup, but certainly appreciate the soundholes and the sound .. (and, needless to say, the craftsmanship)!

The design of the sound holes does make me wonder ....
JamesOud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Great

[*] posted on 2-17-2008 at 06:36 PM

I think Salem needs an oud with frets and needs to relax a little when he plays.

As for the oud, it sounds a little bit rough and not gentle, but this probably due to the playing and mizrap attack. There is also a huge buzz, otherwise its timbre and workmanship is beautiful.

I really dont like the name on the fingerboard either, it doesnt look stylish, its in a weird font and slants on a weird angle, it seems to have the same intent behind it as a throne:D
The S is way over the top and the eyes will need some time to get used too...

Just being honest,

James...
veyselmaster
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-18-2008 at 12:59 AM

Hello fadel
this oud is planing made salem abdul karem and I dont give it prices because they are salems school's .

reards
eliot
Oud Junkie

Mood: Aksak

[*] posted on 2-18-2008 at 02:11 AM

ilginç...

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
on soundcloud
on myspace
my homepage
veyselmaster
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-19-2008 at 02:51 AM

Dear Friends

Here is the result of our long designing study. The eye shaped holes on the face board are 16 cm below the fingerboard and redirect the whole sound out of the bowl. They were also balancing the strings. The formulation of those holes, were based on calculations made by Salem Abdul Kareem and Cengiz usta. The name on the fingerboard is the special request of Salem Abdul Kareem. (I think it looks beautiful). He is a great oudist and planning to use this oud in his new album. The sharp sound of the oud belongs to his hard style. The S shape on face is specially designed for his school.

best regards
zou
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-19-2008 at 03:00 AM

to mr james oud
Master salem abdel karem is a great teacher and he did a lot for this instrument, he has (and he had a lot of students teaching now so when you say that he had to be relaxe when he play you have to think a lot... "criticism is easy but art is difficult"
ziad
JamesOud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-19-2008 at 05:43 AM

Hello Zou,

I do not doubt that Mr Salem is a great teacher. But he is a very rough player that is consistently out of tune and trys to play things that are beyond his technique...There are many examples of this on his website and this recording is one of them also.

Just being honest,

James
JamesOud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-19-2008 at 06:41 AM

"Showing off is easy but playing INTUNE is difficult":D
fyenix
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-19-2008 at 06:51 AM

JamesOud, why dont you play one of Mr Salem's pieces and post it here so everyone can listen who is out of tune
JamesOud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-19-2008 at 08:27 PM

fyenix,

I really dont want to play Salems pieces, most of them arent his anyway and they dont inspire me. And why doesnt he play his pieces properly?
All Im saying is that there is no use playing a piece that is technically difficult if he consistently plays it out of tune. There is no doubt he has a good technique, but not in the tuning department.
A simple tune that is played intune has its weight in gold. Alot of people such as yourself overlook the tuning because you are impressed by his speed, and mumbo jumbo. This would not happen in Western Classical music. Listen to Shaheen and Brahem, beautiful technique and INTUNE!

James.
jazzchiss
Oud Junkie

Mood: Improvising

[*] posted on 2-20-2008 at 12:54 AM

I think Mr. Salem is quite a rough, dirty player.
His out of tune thing is more obvious when he plays tunes that everyone knows, like 'For Elisa' at http://www.salemabdulkarem.com/music.htm

David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-20-2008 at 01:20 AM

Just wondering whether the perception of being out of tune could be due to some kind of electronic phasing effect that Mr Karem is using on his oud?

David

oudman

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 2-20-2008 at 03:27 AM

Jamesoud
It would be interesting to hear your playing.
Why dont you post something, and Ill be happy to critique.
Oudism
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-20-2008 at 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jazzchiss
I think Mr. Salem is quite a rough, dirty player.
His out of tune thing is more obvious when he plays tunes that everyone knows, like 'For Elisa' at http://www.salemabdulkarem.com/music.htm

Hey,
It's incredible ! you hear Elisa or Czardaz Versus Neeven or Brown Eyes you can't tell if this is the same player. The latter 2 tunes are perfectly well done but not the first 2. I guess these are posted on the website from different stage performances. Listen to Neeven or Brown Eyes, well performed!!
I have also seen this youtube for Salem, also well done but missing couple of the high pitch notes:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OLVOHlVsno
On his website you see that he was the best iraqi Oud performer in 1986-1987. I guess it's unjust to say he's dirty player, but it's hard to understand how can he allow to post out-of- tune music on his website:shrug: live is strange sometimes :)
JamesOud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-20-2008 at 06:19 AM

Hey Oudman,

This oud post is not about me, so your critique would mean nothing. Just like my comments mean nothing to you and Im ok with that. Im not claiming that I an oud master, but I am a listener and I think Im a very good one at that. I do also respect that opinions differ.
I know what I like and that is intune playing full of soul. Dont you think he would be more impressive if excuted his passages correctly. Or can you not hear that he is out of tune and doesnt articulate well?

David, there is no way his intonation has to do with that massive reverb effect he has on...

Being true to myself,

James
oudman

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 2-20-2008 at 06:25 AM

Jamesoud
This is more about respect than your opinions.
If this is being true to yourself, maybe you should keep it to yourself as well.
I can assure you, you are not the only "good listener" on this forum.
Oudism
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-20-2008 at 06:53 AM

I wrote him an e-mail:) telling him that there is Out-of-tune music on his website.
Most probably he didn't hear what is posted on his website. I beleive also that he performed those tunes in a bad accoustic conditions (he was not hearing himself neither). I cannot immagine a person like him posted music on his website, out of tune. Something wrong.
I guess he's the best Oudplayer I have ever heard. This is my view:)
cheers
fyenix
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-20-2008 at 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JamesOud

All Im saying is that there is no use playing a piece that is technically difficult if he consistently plays it out of tune. There is no doubt he has a good technique, but not in the tuning department.

James.

did u attend all his concert jamesoud?
JamesOud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-20-2008 at 05:26 PM

Im sorry guys, but playing fast does not excuse poor articulation and tuning.

You all try and find excuses for his intonation, Room, effect etc...He is just out of tune. I even watched his youtube clips and it is the same deal. Flashing playing, but not quite complete.
Im sure he is a good educator and tries to teach his students great technique, but he is playing things beyond his means. If you guys cant see that, then maybe you should re-asses your ears and question what you like. If its out of tune oud playing you like, you guys are in heaven.

He also has a rough and har picking style, which doesnt help. He is not gentle. Furthermore ebery piece I hear him play in Nahwand sounds the same, he hasnt got a large vocabulary of phrases. I think to claim you're an oud guru like he does on his website and play an oud with his name on it, he should be playing better than that.

And fyenix, I dont have to attend all his concert, he doesnt inspire and the clips on his website dont make me want to jump out of my seat and see a performance, bring on Shaheen or Brahem!

Getting it off his chest James
katakofka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gypsy

[*] posted on 2-20-2008 at 05:36 PM

James:)
Salem inspires so many Oud players around the world. Nasser chamma was one of his student, also Saad Mahmoud Jawad...lol. Take it easy on the guy :)
check this link for one of his students ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwid3qKX39E
katakofka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gypsy

[*] posted on 2-20-2008 at 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by veyselmaster
Dear Friends

The formulation of those holes, were based on calculations made by Salem Abdul Kareem and Cengiz usta.
best regards

Salem used to be a professor in Mathematics. Is he still teaching??
I looked around to find what he did for the Oud in term of calculation couldn't find any info. Could you help veyselmaster?
Thanks
JamesOud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-20-2008 at 06:35 PM

Ok Kata,

But only because you asked nicely. There is some truth to what I say though. Im sure he inspires others, but Im not one of them.

Cheers,

Settled James.
jazzchiss
Oud Junkie

Mood: Improvising

[*] posted on 2-21-2008 at 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oudism
On his website you see that he was the best iraqi Oud performer in 1986-1987.

On his site only says: "Salem awarded two prizes as the best Iraqi melodist at 1986 and 1987" . That's not the same of been the best oud player. Mounir Bashir went to exile in 1991 (according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munir_Bashir). He was the best -in the Iraqi style- and still he is.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top