Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Flat backed Oud?
OudandTabla
Oud Maniac

Mood: Oud-a-licious

light.gif posted on 2-21-2008 at 07:40 PM
Flat backed Oud?

Hi everyone,

I've built several acoustic guitars, and in planning my first Oud, I am thinking of going for a flat back design, like Bilezekjian.

http://www.dantzrecords.com/flatbackoud.html

This will of course deny me the pleasure of attempting the bowl- the most intriguing part- but I will definitely tackle that someday. I teach and perform a lot, and have always had posture issues with the huge bowl back as I am rather lanky.

Any ideas about the neck body join, peghead shape, or general advice/comments? I think I'm starting on this one in March, so let me know.:shrug:

aytayfun
Oud Junkie

Mood: luthier and player

[*] posted on 2-22-2008 at 04:01 AM

Hi OudandTabla
I know that Ali Nisadir at Istanbul making ouds with flat back design and selling them to Germany. You can contact him.
http://www.udmaker.com/

Dr. Tayfun AYDIN
Peyman
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mahoor

[*] posted on 2-22-2008 at 10:39 AM

Hey JH,
I have also thought about making a flatback and did some experiments with a turkish saz and a persian tanboor. None sounded as good as I thought they would (even though the geometric air volume was pretty good but I think it boils down to the dome geometry). They sound pretty "flat" like a guitar. Don't get me wrong, they are very fun to play and handle nicely. But I think the extra effort into making a bowl is worth it. You can make the bowl shallow for ergonomics reasons. Anyway, the 'joint area' shape I used is from a turkish flat back (electric) oud (from ebay) which I attached the picture of. The neck block is trapozoidal and as you see the sides and the small back plate connect to it. Hope this is clear.
Peyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-22-2008 at 10:42 AM

And this is the flatback saz I made about a year ago. It shows the joint area a little better.
OudandTabla
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-22-2008 at 11:10 AM

Wow, thanks for the suggestion peyman. I was thinking of a joint based on the A-style mandolin way- where the neck block essentially continues the contours of the sides and resolves the curve. I think I like your idea better as it might provide better access to the notes up to and on the soundboard.

Peyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-22-2008 at 01:11 PM

No problem. I think this shape follows the contours of the instrument more naturally and lets you adjust to the neck thickness etc. It's also easier to build :D which is always a pluse.
OudandTabla
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 4-3-2008 at 09:10 PM

By the way, nice work on that saz! I like the inlay a lot. What wood is that on the fretboard? And are those sides ash?

Peyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-4-2008 at 06:50 AM

The sides are quartersawn red oak! Very easy to bend. The fretboard is cocobolo. I still need to shellac the top. The inlay is mother of pearl dots in a square of horn framed with bone! It took me about 3 hours to fit everything.
OudandTabla
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 4-10-2008 at 08:14 PM

Wow, oak, who'd a thought? Maybe I'll use it for the flat-back Oud...

Peyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-11-2008 at 11:38 AM

I have seen oak used in guitars (for the sides not the back) and ouds. You need something harder for the back of the flatback, IMHO.
BTW, when I said it took me 3 hours, I didn't mean the whole instrument. I only referred to the inlay! The whole thing took about 2 weeks, on and off working.
cheers,
peyman
carpenter
Oud Junkie

Mood: brimming with hope

[*] posted on 4-11-2008 at 11:43 AM

<< oak, who'd a thought? >>

Not me! Although - I remember hearing that red oak is porous, white oak's got some kind of closed-cell structure. If you make a barrel out of white oak, you're good; if you used red oak, you'd end up with an empty barrel and a wet floor.

I have no idea whatsoever if, or how, that relates to sound and instruments; I'm just saying.

If anybody's got oak-instrument experience, I, for one, would like to hear it. I like the quartersawn fleck look; my granny had a Mission plant stand that was a gorgeous thing, with the quartersawn bits flickering in the sunshine. It'd make a cool-lookin' oud bowl, that's for sure. And I agree - bends like a dream.
Peyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-12-2008 at 08:26 AM

Actually, this is where I got the idea: http://gicl.cs.drexel.edu/people/sevy/luthierie/guitarmaking_guide/...
(mulberry back with oak sides).
At mmif there are discussions about oak too. Nazih Ghadban makes ouds from oak. Quality (with rays and figures) quartsawn oak is abundant and I think would be good for experiments or a first instrument. I plan to start a flatback oud soon too, at least to see what they sound like...
OudandTabla
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 4-12-2008 at 09:33 AM

Wow, that is a neat site- great pictures and a different construction technique from the Cumpiano/Natelson... very informative. I really like the flecks in that oak too. Can't wait to see your flat-back Oud Peyman- you'll probably beat me, as I need to finish my first oud and a guitar for a friend before I even start!!

Haluk
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud and saz producer

[*] posted on 4-13-2008 at 01:38 AM

This is my flat back oud both acoustic and electric:
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=7353

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Peyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-14-2008 at 06:40 AM

I think you're overestimating my skills Josh!

Go To Top