Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sema'i Bayati al-Aryan
DaveH
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-28-2008 at 10:18 AM
Sema'i Bayati al-Aryan

Hello all.

So I think there are a few too many good players on this forums and maybe we need some clips from some people who are... erm... not so good.

Seriously though, I was feeling guilty that beginners like me really aren't able to contribute all that well to the fantastic resource that is mike's ouds and we freeload a bit on the pros. Then I realised that the best way to solve this was to just stick my neck out and humiliate myself. So if nothing else, at least you get a good laugh.

But I would really appreciate criticism. I know there's a lot wrong with it but perhaps you pros can focus on what I should be concentrating on next to start to get my playing towards a level where I might be able to get my oud out in public every now and again. Be gentle with me - it's my first time!

https://ishare.sphorium.com/link.aspx?id=929cd097-cf3d-440e-8844-a6b...
Amos
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-28-2008 at 03:48 PM

Dave,
Your characterization of yourself as 'not so good' is not correct in my opionion! your ornamentation, intonation, and knowledge of the fingerings sound great, honestly. i think you must have modeled your performance of this piece on Jihad Racy's on 'Mystical Legacies', is that right? your treatment sounds much like his, which is HUGE praise.
the only thing i missed in this recording would be the semai thaqil iqaa...the notes are all there but the rhythm was missing...but this didnt keep me from sincerely enjoy your sensitive and authentically arabic phrasing in this piece. its funny you should post this, as i was just working on this piece today.
really, really nice job. thank you so much for sharing this with us.
amos

Our music is like an ocean...
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 2-28-2008 at 08:55 PM

Iam willing to post it to...
I have been working on it.
Lets do It Amos, I want to hear you go for it too.

DaveH that was really well played especialy if you concider yourself a beginer. you should be proud of this!
Like amos said the phrasing was there and it sounds authentic.
to me there was just a little to much chords. But all in all I enjoyed listening to it and Iam impressed.
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 2-29-2008 at 10:19 AM

Hi Dave

You're not a beginner mate!! maybe compared to the great masters, but aren't we all. You play oud like an oud, with ornamentation and phrasing that explor and express the unique range of sounds that are particular to oud (rather than say guitar), and you are getting a good feel for the microtonal world.

An oud is not an easy instrument to play!! I'm proud of you - well done lad.

Leon
DaveH
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-29-2008 at 11:58 PM

Wow, thanks guys. Coming from the likes of you, the encouragement really means a lot to me, as do the suggestions for improvement. :bowdown: On re-listening I can see all of them are really good points and I’m going to work on them. One thing I have learned is that it takes a really long time to get anything even half right with the oud, which is why it’s so addictive.

I haven’t heard Ali Jihad Racy’s version. I'll track it down though. I have a copy of one by Farhan Sabagh. It’s a really beautiful piece of music and he plays it very simply and elegantly.

I think it would be great if you used this thread to post your examples of the same semai, even though it would make me look bad :D. If we could get different people’s versions on the same thread it would be a great resource for us noobs to see how you can change approach to the same piece and also what are the fundamentals which stay the same – to get a better grasp of its essence. We could even do other threads for other semais and bashrafs. This seems to me also a good teaching approach and one which might help address the question someone raised recently about demonstrating different ornamentation styles, which is quite difficult to do in a theoretical way.

I should have mentioned in the first post - big thanks to Nazih for making my lovely oud in the first place and for my first lesson and for his feedback and encouragement to post this. You really do get the complete after-sales care plan with him.

So thanks again for your listening and critiquing time. You enthuse me! Ima go practice now. :buttrock:
OudandTabla
Oud Maniac

Mood: Oud-a-licious

[*] posted on 3-1-2008 at 09:23 AM

Hey David,

Nice work.. I agree, it definitely sounds very Oud-like- the ornamentation and the intonation is good. Do you know where I could get sheet music for this samai? I'd be stoked to learn it and post a recording.

PS maybe we're distantly related? My ancestors were blacksmiths in Caister...

DaveH
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-1-2008 at 10:54 AM

Thanks Josh, there's a version on Issa Boulos's excellent archive, but please do read the terms of use agreement.

http://www.issaboulos.com/archive/index.php

I'm afraid I'm not much use on the genealogy front. I don't know where mine come from. Where's Caister?

Btw - liked the look of your redwood soundboard replacement. Very Oregon.
fadel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-21-2008 at 03:32 AM

hi

Daveh naic play

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
mjamed
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 09:39 PM

Cool :)

Go To Top