Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cankaya Turkish Oud
DanielH
Oud Addict

Mood: Satisfied

[*] posted on 3-2-2008 at 08:40 PM
Cankaya Turkish Oud

Greetings All!

I've gathered so much valuable information from this site, I figured it was about time I joined and said "thanks"!

I recently acquired a Cankaya Turkish oud made by Saadettin Sandi at a music festival. I got the oud bug about 2 years ago and have been collecting music and looking all over the internet for information since. Based purely on my own research (and not professional advice, mind you...) I feel I've gotten a fairly decent instrument. Here's my situation: I live just north of Philadelphia, I'm brand new to the instrument, and only familiar with Western notation.

A friend bought me the "Oud Etudes" book by Kathleen Iler, but it's written for the Arabic tuning, and, although it still sounds lovely, it definitely feels like the strings are too loose in this tuning. Apart from this, I accidentally cracked one of the tuning pegs when I first brought it home, trying to get the thing to budge. A very caveman-like operation... (There were some drastic changes in humidity between the time I got it and brought it home.)

So, my questions are - Does anyone have any advice on learning Turkish-style oud, i.e. any good method books, teachers, CD's to listen to, etc? And, does anyone know a place in the Philly area that I can take my oud to get a properly tapered peg added? Thanks!!!
mourad_X
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-3-2008 at 03:50 AM

hi daniel

i have two ouds made by cankaya (sandi)
the beginner model GK 15 and a midrange Modell MKA 25
i'm tuning both of them in "arabic" CEAdgc
i use aquila nylcut strings for turkish oud on both instruments
and the tension is fine
from time to time i tune the MKA 25 a whole step higher to get the original sound
and when i came back to arabic tuning after some weeks
the oud has such a singing sustain.... its a very fine instrument i love it
so normaly it should not be a problem for you to play arabic-tuning on it (with the wright strings on it)
in the ensemble where i play we are playing some turkish songs in arabic tuning ;)

best regards
mourad

p.s. you can hear the sound of my ouds on myspace (address below) in some of my tracks

on the track invisible stranger its the MKA 25 in turkish tuning
on bulawayo mission it is the GK 15 in arabic tuning

DanielH
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 3-3-2008 at 08:44 PM

Hi Mourad,

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I must experiment with the CEAdgc tuining... Right now I've got it tuned to DGAdgc. I listened to your samples (nice stuff, by the way...) and I liked the sound of both of your Cankayas in their respective tunings. Mine is the VMIU-50. They really do have a lovely sound, don't they? I'll look into the Aquila strings as well... I haven't fully replaced the strings since I bought the oud, so I would like to see how it responds. First, I must get a new peg to fit, though... :( Thanks again!

- Dan
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 3-3-2008 at 09:13 PM

hey Dan,
When you got the oud it probably came with turkish strings.
just an assumption but I have a feeling he ships them with Turkish strings. Unless you asked for Arabic oud strings.
If they are really too loose to play its probably the case.
Arabic oud strings are made thicker which is the only way to get proper tension with the short string length on Turkish ouds.

cheers!
pauldata
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-3-2008 at 09:35 PM

Congrat's, I have a Sandi too and am quite pleased with it. I recently purchased my second oud, a cheaper Egyptian build with much larger body and longer string scale. I put a new set of La Bella OU80 on it and it sounds wonderful, somewhat deeper than the Sandi, but just a resonant and pleasing, and the action is very close to that of the Sandi. I've been working out some Hamza al Din on the Egyptian in the lower tuning; fantastic!
PS: contact Sandi, I'm sure they will ship you a spare peg or two if you ask.
pauldata
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-3-2008 at 09:38 PM

Another thing, one of the pegs on the cheaper Egyptian oud was cracked in the middle of the shaft when I got it; when I restrung it I glued and clamped it and left it overnight, and then lightly sanded it the next day before doping all the pegs and restringing. The repaired peg seems to be holding up quite well; give it a shot!
DanielH
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 3-4-2008 at 12:40 PM

Thanks Samir and Paul for your insights. Regarding the peg - I actually purchased an extra peg from Jameel at Khalaf Oud Luthiery only to discover that it was a little too thick for my peg-holes. I don't have any woodworking equipment to properly taper it. Also, I was intrigued by your idea of gluing and clamping it. I have another of the original pegs that has a hairline crack in it that could use this treatment... What type of glue do you suggest - just regular wood glue? Also, what do you mean by "doping" the pegs. Please forgive my ignorance of these terms. I'm at rock-bottom beginner's level with the oud! :shrug:
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 3-4-2008 at 07:21 PM

Hi,

Why don't you make a trip up to NYC? Haig Manoukian could easily take care of your peg issue, and I'd be happy to help you get started on the oud with a lesson. I now live in NJ just outside the Lincoln Tunnel.

But, if you are in a hurry for the peg, which I'd guess you are, just go to a violin maker's shop and they'll probably be able to take care of you on the spot. They will probably just charge a little more.

I think you should take your oud to a professional and not try to fix it yourself if you haven't done anything like this before. Just to be safe.

Take care,

mavrothis

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
DanielH
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 3-4-2008 at 07:43 PM

Hi Mavrothis,

Thanks for the suggestions. Incidentally, as I was searching the posts for Philadelphia, I found that there is a maker named Dincer Dalkilic in the area (?) and that you purchased an oud from him not long ago. I downloaded your sound sample you posted after you brought it home... Awesome, my friend! Just awesome! :xtreme::xtreme: I really like your style!

Do you know if Mr. Dalkilic is still in the Philly area? If not, can you tell me more about Haig Manoukian and where he is located? I also may be interested in dropping by for a lesson sometime this spring or early summer. I need something to get me started... I'd like to take some of the guesswork out of this whole strange new journey! Thanks!

- Dan
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 3-4-2008 at 07:53 PM

Yeah, absolutely. You should contact Dincer and he will definitely be able to help you. I had Haig fresh on my mind b/c he just recently worked on an oud for me, and I always go to him for repairs and strings, etc.

You can contact Dincer through his site: oudmaker.com

He sometimes goes to Turkey for extended periods. If he's not around, Haig is in the East Village in Manhattan. If you like, email me and I'll give you his number in case you need it. He can be hard to reach sometimes b/c he travels a lot also, but he usually will return your call as soon as he can.

I think there are some Armenian musical groups in the Philly area that might have oud players that could help you, though I don't know any of them personally.

Thanks for the encouragement. :)

Take care,

mavrothis

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
pauldata
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-5-2008 at 02:08 PM

I used CA gel if I recall correctly; or I might have used white wood glue. either will do the job on a cracked peg. (time will tell how long the fix lasts...) ;)
Peg dope can be got from any music shop that sells violins, cellos, etc. You rub it on the friction points of the pegs and it helps keep them from sticking and slipping. I love the stuff... Some folks use chalk on their pegs.
DanielH
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 3-6-2008 at 09:52 PM

Hi guys,

I contacted Dincer Dalkilic and he's going to fit my new peg for me. He will be the first actual oud player I've ever met, so it will be nice to have some direction!:D

Regarding peg dope, is there any benefit to the dope vs. chalk, or vise-verse? I found the stuff for sale on some classical music supply websites...
adamgood
Oud Junkie

Mood: 2.7 koma flat

[*] posted on 3-7-2008 at 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DanielH
Regarding peg dope, is there any benefit to the dope vs. chalk, or vise-verse? I found the stuff for sale on some classical music supply websites...

Your going to learn so so much from Dincer, he'll help you with your dope questions :)

say hi to him from Adam
aytayfun
Oud Junkie

Mood: luthier and player

[*] posted on 3-7-2008 at 05:10 AM

You are very lucky that you have the chance to see Usta (Master) Dalkilic. I think he is one of the last apprentice of the old timers. Manol, Hadi than Dincer. He is a very nice master and again you are very lucky. Keep in mind every minute when you are with him.

Dr. Tayfun AYDIN
DanielH
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 3-7-2008 at 11:01 PM

You are very lucky that you have the chance to see Usta (Master) Dalkilic. I think he is one of the last apprentice of the old timers. Manol, Hadi than Dincer. He is a very nice master and again you are very lucky. Keep in mind every minute when you are with him.

- I've read his bio on his website and will indeed keep that in mind... Thanks!

Go To Top