Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: ditances between strings??exam?
ghassan bashir
Oud Addict

Mood: 0ud player/sing

[*] posted on 4-15-2004 at 07:10 PM
ditances between strings??exam?

does anwone know what are the best distances between the strings ?

between each pair?the pair of sol. for instance ..
between the pair and the other???
and what is better ?the far distance or the close,and what r the advantages and the disadvantages of the two cases that i mentioned...

all the best
ghassan bashir:wavey:
wfspark
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud entranced!

[*] posted on 4-16-2004 at 06:27 AM
String distances.

Quote:
Originally posted by ghassan bashir
does anwone know what are the best distances between the strings ?

between each pair?the pair of sol. for instance ..
between the pair and the other???
and what is better ?the far distance or the close,and what r the advantages and the disadvantages of the two cases that i mentioned...

all the best
ghassan bashir:wavey:
Hmmmmmmmmmm. Interesting topic Ghassan! I think it's all a matter of opinion. Based on my experiences with mandolin, I can play faster with strings at a closer string distance. What does everyone else think?
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 4-17-2004 at 01:21 PM
string spacing

Spacing between each string in the pairs are 2mm at the top and 4mm at the bridge. The top strings should be 1 mm above the fingerboard at the top nut and 3-6 mm at the body joint. The distance between each pair or the spread of the whole set is determined by the width of the neck, the angle between the edges of the fingerboard and the string length. There are so many ouds in so many sizes that this spacing varies all over accordingly. The spacing should be very consistent or you will be hampered to find the string out of position as you play.

ghassan bashir
Oud Addict

Mood: 0ud player/sing

[*] posted on 4-17-2004 at 07:30 PM
dr oud

hi doc..
dont you think that it is a bit long (4mm at the bridge side)?i think that and am sure that a distance like this causes hi resistance when playing ,and the strings would not be as flex as they should be ...

doc..i recommend 2.5mm (bridge sid),1,5mm (the other side),13 or 14 mm between the pair and the other...
what do you think doc??

best regards
ghassan bashir

:wavey:
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 4-18-2004 at 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ghassan bashir
hi doc..
dont you think that it is a bit long (4mm at the bridge side)?i think that and am sure that a distance like this causes hi resistance when playing ,and the strings would not be as flex as they should be ...

doc..i recommend 2.5mm (bridge sid),1,5mm (the other side),13 or 14 mm between the pair and the other...
what do you think doc??

best regards
ghassan bashir

:wavey:

We may be differing on where you make the measurement. I had measured center to center distance of the string holes of a Manol bridge on my workbench at the time. My measurements of Nahats range from 3-3.5mm (center to center) at the bridge. If you measure between the inside edges of the strings it indeed is 2-2.5mm. You may space them closer if you use a very soft mizrab or risha for a plectrum, but harder pics stroked deeply near the big rose may cause buzzing in the bass strings (you may like that effect). I don't believe you would notice any significant resistance due to spacing unless you pic very close to the bridge, but some oudists do. I don't understand the relationship to the flexibility of the string.

Spacing between the pairs is a result of the angle formed by the sides of the neck and the projected string length. This varies among different sizes and styles of ouds. A narrow neck and shallow angle allow faster playing with both hands. A wider neck with a larger neck angle will allow easier chord fingering. I would agree that speed is relative to spacing of the pairs, but the original question was for advantages & disadvantages. Wider spacing at the bridge allows more volume as the plectrum stroke can be deeper and/or with a harder plectrum that might cause buzzing with closer spacing. Closer spacing increases speed as your right hand has a shorter distance to travel find another string.

It is a preference or compromise between speed, volume and playing style in my opinion. Different strokes for different folks, no?

Go To Top