Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Saz Baglama - not oud related ;-)
Melbourne
Oud Junkie

Mood: راحة الأرواح

[*] posted on 3-9-2008 at 05:40 AM
Saz Baglama - not oud related ;-)

Hi Folks

Sorry to be off topic here - but I am wondering if someone could help me as to what is a "standard" tuning for a shortneck baglama saz. I know that there are heaps and heaps of regional variations, but surley there is a standard, as in the oud G A D G C - which would be considered by many as standard Arabic.

And furhter to that, is it an instrument that is tuned in fourths, ie like a oud/guitar? or fifths? as in violin family...

Furthermore, I belive there is a difference between Turkish notation and western nonation, ie sol or G as played say on a piano, is a completely different note in Turkish notation. Not sure if that makes much sense, I dont know much about it but hopefully someone can clarify...

Any feedback would be much appreciated :)

Thanks in Advance

Melbourne
mourad_X
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-9-2008 at 10:33 AM

hi melbourne

that is a good question.
i bought me a long neck baglama three weeks ago.
i was searching and googling the internet for the same questions
and i found that the most common tuning for baglama is from low to high
G D A (the violin way) what makes me totaly confuse to play with;)

there are many other tunings and some of the sazfolks out there tune
the long neck baglama A D G (the blacksee-way).
another gui from anatoya told me that he tunes
LA Sol RE (A G D ) but a steb higher so it is actually B A E

may it depends on what you are playing more chords or scales...

another thing what makes me realy confuse is that the middle strings are
only treble once and the others have a bass string
so if i play an oud like riff over all the strings its so different in sound

maybe the saz should be played in another technik
and style than the oud.
i 'm just beginner on this instrument

best wishes
mourad

Haluk
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud and saz producer

[*] posted on 3-9-2008 at 12:22 PM

Tune of shortneck baglama with 19 frets is LA-RE-MI
as piano.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Sazi
Oud Junkie

Mood: مبتهج ; ))

[*] posted on 3-9-2008 at 04:12 PM

Hi Melbourne, I am a baglama player too, and tune as Arif Sag,-B A E, (bass to treble) the A being a tone lower than the B, then up a fourth to the E. Musa Eroglu tunes a semi-tone higher , but same intervals, Erdal Erzincan tunes even higher at c#, but you'll find the music is written as though it is tuned A G D.

http://www.youtube.com/Sazi369

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
Melbourne
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-10-2008 at 02:33 AM

Thanks guys for the info, Haluk mourad_X and Sazi - much appreciated. So the gneral pattern is the two higher courses are tuned in fifths; so to use Haluk's tuning, it would be D for the middle and A for the highest, and the E, in the lowest position,(ie closest to chin with instrument in playing position) is a tone HIGHER than the middle string, ie the D? Correct? I hope I got this right....

The other thing is strings for various tunings, from my web searches, it doesnt seem like there is specific strings for specific tunings - is it all the one standard set and players tune up and down based on their desired tuning?? so a low tuning may have loose strings, and a higher tuning may have tense strings?

Thanks again for your comments :)

Regards,
Melbourne
GuhlMustafa
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 3-10-2008 at 05:04 AM

For short neck I use A-G-D from low to high as well- most players I've met tune B-A-E, but my short neck is a bit long in scale, and does better with the lower tuning. I would advise (if you're not playing in an ensemble) seeing which range makes the baglama sound its best, and go with that. Good luck!
Sazi
Oud Junkie

Mood: مبتهج ; ))

[*] posted on 3-12-2008 at 07:10 PM

You could try saz strings instead of baglama strings, (no, they're not the same) saz strings are generally made for longer necked sazlar and are a bit thicker (.20 instead of .18) if you want to use lower tuning. On my baglama (.18mm strings) if I tune down to A for the bass it's a bit loose for fast tezene, but interesting rich sound. How long is the neck from nut to bridge?

http://www.youtube.com/Sazi369

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
Melbourne
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-13-2008 at 03:35 AM

Thanks for the info GuhMustafa :)

Sazi - I will find out on Saturday :D Thats hopefully when I pick it up. So basically I shall ask for .18 strings, for B A E tuning, which can also be used to tune down to A G D, a tone basically. So judging by these tunings mentioned above, the one recommended by Haluk is either a very high, or a very low tuning - seems odd :shrug:

Thanks again guys
pirsultan
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 3-13-2008 at 04:36 PM

Just to add my two bobs worth, the short necked bağlama is certainly best tuned with the tuning known as bağlama or aşık düzeni as described by others who have posted replies. This facilitates playing across the strings rather than mostly using the top sounding string and moving high up the neck (as on the long necked saz tuned in fifths). It also suits a particular repertoire, that is Alevi aşık music like the deyiş (mystical songs) of the Anatolian bards. Although, that said you can play most of the regional folk music with that tuning. If you are more interested in a popular repertoire then you are probably better off with a long necked saz using the kara düzen tuning (straight fifths). The tuning on the short necked instrument is a re-entrant tuning which may seem a little odd if you are new to it, but it is very, very versatile. The middle string is nominally the lowest sounding although the octave tuning of the outer courses means that probably the lowest sounding string is actually on the highest course! Sounds odd, but it works beautifully for Alevi music. You get lots of interesting harmonies and a full sound. It is also good for the technique know as şelpe where you play with the fingers rather than a tezene (plectrum). But the type of instrument (short of long necked) and the tuning you choose should really be based on the music you want to play.
Melbourne
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-14-2008 at 07:26 AM

Hi pirsultan - thanks for your information. Actually there is only a certain type of baglama sound which appeals to me, and based on what you describe above, that sound may well be the devis, and I'm guessing what you call mystical is largely achieved by the pairing (or tripling) of strings where one is an octave lower than the other(s). I've always been interested in this sound, whether it be in baglama, bouzouki, buzuk or lauto; the resulting sound could definitely be described as mystical...

Where about in Oz are you btw pirsultan?

Regards;
Sam
pirsultan
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 3-14-2008 at 03:36 PM

Hi Melbourne, I am in Canberra. The style of playing that works best (in my view) with the bağlama tuning is the Alevi style in which they strum across all the strings (that is rather than playing a single line of notes, which is the style particularly suited to the tuning in fifths on the longer necked instrument). This style tends to be very rhythmic and when playing Alevi ritual music with its repetitive structures it becomes very mesmerising and has a 'mystical' element. Particularly so when played şelpe style (finger style). Recordings by Dertli Divani, Gani Pekşen, Ulaş Özdemir, Erdal Erzincan, Erol Parlak and early recordings of Arif Sağ are all good places to start (and indeed finish!) with this sort of music.

Apologies to the oud lovers for this diversion.

Go To Top