Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Live Traditional Music in Cairo
Amos
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-11-2008 at 06:33 PM
Live Traditional Music in Cairo

hi guys,
i am planning a trip to cairo this late summer on my way to india, and i would like to spend a week or two in the city seeing as much live traditional music as possible...i know there are some folks here (especially mike!) that have experience in the city and i am wondering how realistic is for me to think i can find live Arabic music (oud, voice, violin, qanun, etc.) being performed in the city and how often, where, is it expensive, etc.? any information is greatly appreciated, as my recent trip to istanbul proved that the city is one of the most musically active places on earth...is cairo musically active? i really hope so...i have images of sitting in small nightclubs every night watching the experts tear it up...i look forward to hearing from anyone with info,
all the best,
amos

Our music is like an ocean...
zalzal
Oud Junkie

Mood: still alive

[*] posted on 3-11-2008 at 10:09 PM

"Al harafish" AT Al Fisal Street, is one of them.

stringmanca
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud Moud

[*] posted on 3-12-2008 at 08:11 AM

The El Sawy Culture Wheel has a wide variety of music, including traditional. They are located at the northwest tip of Zamalek, just about right under the 26th of July bridge.

Here's their Web site: http://www.culturewheel.net/

Have fun (and be sure to report back on what you find)!

Nathan
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 3-12-2008 at 09:51 AM

For "lower brow" traditional pop/folk music, you can always to the Naguib Mahfouz Cafe in the Khan Khalili market. I found this 2005 photo on the web, and I’m 99% sure the oudist/singer and percussionist are the same guys I heard in 2000 (maybe with just a little less hair). If I recall correctly, the cost was the price of a couple of drinks, and I was seated next to a large group of Khalidjis (Gulf Arabs) who were (literally, I think) letting down their hair and flirting with me in front of their husbands. :rolleyes: There was also a very good qanoun player performing with the same percussionist.

Enjoy,
John

Go To Top