Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oudcafe.com Updates
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 3-14-2008 at 01:08 PM
Oudcafe.com Updates

Hi everyone,

I've just finished some updates on the Oudcafe, including a new Makam Page with a new Rast Lesson Page.

More updates should be coming steadily over the next few months, which will hopefully give a good solid basis for learning the makams used in Ottoman Classical music and Aegean folk music.

If anyone finds anything that looks like an error feel free to contact me about it, and sorry for the delay...

Take care,

mavrothis

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
Arto
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-14-2008 at 01:52 PM

Wonderful! Thanks a lot! I have been missing the old Oud Cafe makam page and exercises.

:applause: Arto
Peyman
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mahoor

[*] posted on 3-14-2008 at 02:56 PM

This is great. Thanks for posting. The audio files are a great addition. I am especially interested in the folk stuff. The zeybek is delightful.
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-15-2008 at 10:51 AM

Thanks guys!

:)

mavrothis

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
amarock
Oud Junkie

Mood: musical

[*] posted on 3-15-2008 at 11:01 AM

Thank you so much dear Mavrotis.
After six years of arabic oud study i began this year to learn turkish oud with Yaniv Taichman( http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&am... )
Your renewed web site will help me to understand the turkish makam better.
Bravo for your efforts!
Regards
Bruno
Peyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-15-2008 at 12:04 PM

Mavrothis, I have a question about the modal music used in Greek folk music. Not sure if you'd know but it doesn't hurt to ask. How close is the Greek folk music to makams used in Ottoman classical music. To my ears, Greek folk melodies and Persian dastgah music have a lot in common (than say, Turkish classical music). For one thing, I know that some popular Greek songs have made it into persian pop music seamlessly.
rebetostar
Oud Maniac

Mood: Ajam Ushayran

[*] posted on 3-16-2008 at 09:09 AM

Gia sou-re Mav!
First to say thank you! Your site has been a crucial part of my learning process and no doubt many many others..
Now only one suggestion for the new pages.. bigger text! My vision is excellent but I still had to enlarge the text in order to read it. Have mercy on the ageing oudis who can't find their reading glasses :))
Giamas,
rebeto
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-16-2008 at 03:03 PM

:)

Peyman,

All the music from Greece to Iran is linked. First of all, all Central Asian music has a very strong Persian influence, which reached all the way to China. The traditional music of Northern Greece, Thrace, and Western Turkey (Asia Minor) have a great deal in common with the court music of Constantinople/Istanbul, and it's hard to guess how the music sounded 500 or 1000 years ago, but I think it is safe to say that what we hear now is a regional blend. I've heard some Byzantine secular compositions from Persian borders and they definitely have Persian sounding influence in them, which is cool. I think all the 'classical' or court music that came into existence was a blend of folk musics and earlier musics of the region (Persian, Byzantine, and Central Asian), and I hear many similarities and traditional Greek and Persian music as well.

However it's really interesting that even though all these cultures have been intermingling and influencing each other for literally thousands of years, there is still a lot of regional diversity. These two aspects of the music of the region, the general similarities (with occasional direct borrowing) and the region specific "accents" and flavors, really are a beautiful feature of the region I think.

As for pop, well, pop is pop, and I think today it is really hard to distinguish between countries other than figuring out which language is being used (for the most part). A lot of melodies are being shared across the Aegean/Mediterranean, and I guess Red Seas...seamlessly like you said. As I get deeper into the traditional music, it's harder for me to enjoy the mass produced pop, but some artists do deliver some good music.

Rebetostar - I will try and make the font bigger...

Thanks,

mavrothis

--Edgard Varèse
Peyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-17-2008 at 07:04 AM

mavrothis,
Thanks for the clarification. I know that in a lot of old Persian texts the Greeks (specially Greek philosophers) are credited with the creation of music (or rather, organization). I look forward to learning more about this type of music. So fars, one of my favorites is Ross Daly's work.
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-17-2008 at 07:18 AM

Peyman, I'd be interested in hearing some examples of the Greek songs that made it into Iranian pop like you said. It's easy for me to generalize about stuff, but it would be cool to hear some of these specific songs.

Let me know if you can post something or send it to me.

Thanks!

mav

--Edgard Varèse
Peyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-17-2008 at 09:01 AM

I sent you a u2u.
neyzen
Oud Addict

Mood: Rast

[*] posted on 3-18-2008 at 04:23 AM

Hey mavrothis,

Nice work with the website. I love the audio samples.

Quick question: Is the seyir of Rast ascending/descending? Because I thought it was an ascending (cikici) makam. I think it also says that in the Ud metod by Mutlu Torun (need to check).

Cheers,
Murat
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-18-2008 at 04:52 AM

Hi Murat,

You are right, I have just fixed that mistake.

Thanks for picking that up and correcting me.

I think I should leave the diagram as it is though, just to show from a more practical standpoint a common change that occurs when we descend (evic to acem). The truth is, I don't think these directional (seyir) characterizations are 100% accurate or consistent. From my perspective, I fell like it is more useful to give mostly a practical explanation of these things. Hopefully I'm not making a mistake by doing that.

Take care,

mavrothis

--Edgard Varèse
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-20-2008 at 07:56 AM

Hi everyone,

The Makam Page at the Oud Cafe has been updated with a new Mahur Lesson.

I hope it is helpful for you.

Take care,

mavrothis

--Edgard Varèse
PeppeOud
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-22-2008 at 06:45 AM

I was really waiting for this!! :xtreme:
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

Mood: play my ouds

[*] posted on 4-4-2008 at 10:55 PM

Thanks bro....
Se xasame re.