Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Professor Aram Gulezian: One of the World's Great Oudists; RIP, Age 101!
pauldata
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-1-2008 at 10:50 PM
Professor Aram Gulezian: One of the World's Great Oudists; RIP, Age 101!

One of our greatest oudists passed this month, at the age of 101:

Obituary click here

GULEZIAN, Harry Aram, accomplished Oudist, father and grandfather, passed away in the arms of his daughter, Maria Nasif on Tuesday, March 11, 2008. Mr. Gulezian was 101 years old and enjoyed performing both classical and popular Near & Middle Eastern music at local Tucson venues into his 80's. A transplant of New York City, Professor Aram as he was known by close friends, was a great supporter of Middle Eastern culture, frequently attending events hosted by the Center for Middle Eastern Studies, the Ashram and Tucson Meet Yourself. In earlier years he traveled to Egypt at the request of colleagues to perform for political dignitaries, and upon his return to the US, he ignited a renewed local interest in his rich cultural heritage that was his lifelong passion. Mr. Gulezian enjoyed serving as a guidance counselor at the School for The Deaf & Blind and was keenly aware of how music formed a positive bond to his students. He is survived by his three children, Antoin, Michael, Maria; and grandson, Roman. His parents were Haiganoush and Aram Gulezian. Memorial services will take place this Wednesday, April 2, 2008 at 2pm at EVERGREEN MORTUARY, N. Oracle & W. Miracle Mile, followed by a brief burial service next to his beloved wife Serpouhie (Suzanne as she was known to her friends) at 3:00 p.m. at Holy Hope Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, the family requests that any donations be made to Casa de Los Ninos, 1101 N. 4th Ave. Tucson, AZ 85705.

My Trio, Balkan Spirit, has been honored by being invited to play at Professor Aram's memorial dinner. We will feature local oudist Michael Henderson.
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 4-1-2008 at 11:49 PM

Thinking of his familly but also hounouring a long life well spent now to rest peacefully. I'm sure your group will celebrate his life from the heart.

Kindest regards

Leon
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

Mood: play my ouds

[*] posted on 4-4-2008 at 10:51 PM

God bless his soul,and gives him an oud to the other life too....I am sure that he will continue to play taksims and there....
Regards to all
Spyros

pauldata
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-5-2008 at 03:35 PM

Thanks for your kind replies; the family was very gracious, and the food was excellent! :) We played for two hours a mix of Middle Eastern, Balkan and Roma music on oud, percussion, guitar, tamboura and voices. The music was very well received, and we felt the presence of the master Professor Aram. There are a couple of his early recordings available on CD which can be sampled on Amazon should any of you be curious to know what master 'Oudis' were doing back in the 1960s in the USA. It is most fortunate that he was able to perform well into his 80s; however I think that his latter, declining years were rather hard on him as I understand he had no access to instruments and lived in a home for the aged. I hope he is in a better place now... :/

Go To Top