Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Pegheds Update
Meursault
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-8-2008 at 10:28 AM
Pegheds Update

There was a thread on here ages ago about using pegheads, the pegs with internal gears, for ouds. I've just spoken with Chuck Herin, the inventor, and he says he's now making these pegs for ouds in plastic, or he can use the wood heads of your existing pegs. The cost is $20 a peg installed, if you send your instrument to him. This is far cheaper than the violin pegs, which obviously aren't for ouds anyway. The installation would involve some minimal re-reaming of your existing holes.

He said he's never had anyone return the pegs and replace them with wood friction pegs, and he will buy you a set of new wood pegs if you don't like them.

As for the additional weight added to the pegbox, he said it's equivalent to holding approximately three standard house keys in your hand.

If you're interested, call him at 1-866-734 4337, or visit http://www.pegheds.com

I do not have a financial stake in pegheads or any connection to the product, other than that I intend to have them installed on my Ghadban.
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-8-2008 at 11:33 AM

Pegheds are very nice. I've tried them on an oud owned by Lee Varis.

The pegs pictured look like wood, are they? The ones Lee had were plastic heads, and I was not too fond of the look or feel, but it was outweighed by the function. Maybe it's time for me to start using these.

Thanks for posting.

Meursault
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-8-2008 at 01:51 PM

I think these are ebony heads that he's connected to his shafts. He mills the hole in the head of your peg head using a computer.

Go To Top