Printable Version  
Author: Subject: new member says hello
mahaprana
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-20-2004 at 06:21 AM
new member says hello

Hi Everyone.

My name is Josh Michaell. I've been reading this forum with great delight for the past week and decided to join a couple of days ago so I wanted to say hi and to tell you a bit about myself. I live in Marin County in Northern California. I play several instruments - fretless banjo, slide guitar and guqin (a 7 string classical chinese zither) I have always been drawn to fretless instruments, the lovely haunting quality, the way they can emulate the human voices and the subtle nature of the microtones that you can play. Mainly the style of music that I play is traditional American music of the Southern Appalachian mountains...essentially American world music! For 6 years I worked for Appleseed Records producing CDs of American traditional music. Now I still do recording projects on a case by case basis. I am currently producing a CD of Chinese improvisational music with my friend, East Bay guitarist Henry Kaiser. Otherwise, I work as a psychotherapist. Being a psychotherapist is a good thing, especially when working with musicians! (s)

I have found myself being drawn more into exploring the world of ouds and oud playing lately. It started a couple of years ago when I went to a small bookstore in Marin and just by chance Hamza el Din was getting ready to perform. The only spot left was on the floor right in front of him. Anyway, the PA sounded terrible so Hamza decided to shut it off and play completely unamplified. I sat there transfixed as he played and sang less than five feet in front of me. It was a sublime experience. Also, I helped produce a CD of appalachian ballads several years before by Jody Stecher and on the title track of his CD he played the oud as a sort of "alap" to the tune. It was very lovely and stayed in my head and also planted a seed about the possibilities of using the oud in a traditional American music context.

Last week I was in a record store in Berkeley and picked up a used French compilation called Le Luth Des Virtuoses. I had not heard of any of the players besides Munir Bashir. I got to track #4 which was an excerpt of Farid el Atrache playing Takassim Oud from his King of the Oud CD. Yikes! That completely blew my head off. I have read comments that some people find the audience participation distracting but I felt just the opposite. It really captured the power of live performance. Also, I know that if I were there I'd be clapping my ass of as well! (s)

I did a search on him and came up with this website and forum. In addition to him there were gorgeous tracks by Fawzy Al-Aiedy, Alla, Naseer Shamma and Thierry Robin. So many styles and ways of playing.

So now I'm hooked and looking forward to getting myself an oud. One issue that I face is that I am hopelessly left-handed. As such, all of my instruments are lefty and the oud would need to be as well. I have contacted Dr. Oud and am talking with him about building me a lefty oud. I feel more drawn to the Arabic ouds and very much like the aesthetics of the photos of the Nahat ouds that I have seen. Simple and refined speaks to my tastes.

I know that I have several questions but I will not lump then into this post. Please excuse any of them that may have been answered before.

It is exciting to be entering a world of music with which I am not familiar. In my other musical worlds, years of experience has brought a sense of familiarity and comfort. It feels good to be a beginner again.

Sincerely,

-Josh
nadir
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-20-2004 at 06:38 AM

Welcome to the forum Josh! I'm glad your so enthusiastic with starting a new instrument! :applause:
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

Mood: play my ouds

[*] posted on 4-20-2004 at 07:03 AM

welcome above us my friend.
This is the best family in the world.......the oudfamily

Regards

Spyros

TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving the Oud

[*] posted on 4-20-2004 at 07:33 AM

Hey Josh. Welcome to the forum, man. I'm sure we can all learn from each other, and it sounds like you have a lot to contribute musically, which I definitely look forward to.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you want. The rest of us do. :D

TP21

Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-20-2004 at 07:36 AM

:wavey:

WELCOME!

:bowdown:
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4-20-2004 at 04:08 PM

Hey Josh,

First of all, welcome to the forums. And thanks for sharing your background with us. Welcome to the world of oud addiction. It's an amazing instrument, isn't it? :D

Take care,
Mike

mahaprana
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 4-20-2004 at 04:18 PM

Quite an amazing instrument indeed! Thanks for the warm welcome!

-Josh
sydney
Oud Junkie

Mood: Bastanikar

[*] posted on 4-20-2004 at 04:29 PM

Josh :wavey:

Welcome mate, I believe you got your self into a real fun. I am sure you won't regret it.

As you see, we all waiting for a new oud star to be born every day. (s)

Good to have you here mate.

Emad from sydney
Haluk
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud and saz producer

[*] posted on 4-21-2004 at 02:23 AM
welcome

Hello,

Welcome to forum.
Regards.

Haluk Eraydin

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
ghassan bashir
Oud Addict

Mood: 0ud player/sing

[*] posted on 4-23-2004 at 05:46 AM
hi josh

hi josh..

first i would like to welcome you to our world of the oud..
second ,i think that we could do some thing together ????
humbly ,i think that am one of the very best oud players ...and i will be in LA on the 25th /april...
i would be more than glad to get in touch and discuss few things with you....
please e-mail me your contact number if you dont mind...looking forward.....:wavey:
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-23-2004 at 06:09 AM

:D
ghassan bashir
Oud Addict

Mood: 0ud player/sing

[*] posted on 4-23-2004 at 06:57 AM
zulka man

hi guy ..how r you ..whats does this smily mean..

best regards
ghassan bashir:bounce:
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-23-2004 at 07:08 AM

Hi Ghassan

Mean I am in my most happy mood!!:D

Any news from Basrah?

Salam
Zul

Go To Top