Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: More slow-but-sure - #4
carpenter
Oud Junkie

Mood: brimming with hope

[*] posted on 5-2-2008 at 11:27 AM
More slow-but-sure - #4

Here are pix of the roses. I'm going for the additional tweeter-holes this time. My Big Idea is to use Northwest/Oregon woods; I have on hand some figured fir, figured madrone, Port Orford cedar, alder, yew, bigleaf maple, holly ... not enough of anything to make a whole oud from, but it should prove interesting, and the only guy I have to please is me.

The roses are Port Orford cedar, nice, creamy, tight grain. I like the faceted carved quality. The easy part's over now; better go cut some ribs.
carpenter
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-2-2008 at 11:28 AM

... and the tweeters.
carpenter
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-2-2008 at 11:31 AM

Also, the "Northwest" part is so I can get away with the Alaska red cedar top. Otherwise, local stuff.
jdowning
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-2-2008 at 12:16 PM

Nice work Jim - how did you colour the ravens - by burning or with wood stains?
carpenter
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-2-2008 at 01:34 PM

That's flat black enamel over shellac, steel-wooled, fine-wet-sanded and burnished with wool. I had this great crows-in-trees idea, but then I really didn't like all the unrelieved black - there wasn't much contrast between the birds and the black void of the hole in the bowl. I started sanding it off, and liked the old/worn/distressed look when I was partly done; quit while I was ahead.

The color in the trees is Minwax 'Special Walnut' spritzed on with a toothbrush over shellac.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 5-2-2008 at 01:43 PM

ooohh nice.
cant wait to see it come about.
very nice roses.
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 5-3-2008 at 07:24 AM

A true artist at work. No doubt I'll be looking forward to follwing the progress of this oud project Jim.

carpenter
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-20-2008 at 09:26 AM

I'm still pondering the crows ... Meanwhile, some real progress. I got the neck and pegbox pretty much finished. The wood is figured madrone; nice wood, but impossible to take a picture of the figure to my liking. Originally a piece of firewood some fifteen years back, it finally finds a respectable home. Wish I had more, and not already cut to stove length.

I intend to do a light/dark bowl, and didn't have quite enough madrone for the whole neck; the extra lamination is alder. A pretty red and orange thing going on there, I think it will work visually. The wood was busy enough that I just put a bevel on the corners to pick up some light. No need to go nuts this time.
carpenter
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-20-2008 at 09:38 AM

Bowl time. I had a little (just enough) bit of this figured fir, and it seemed a shame not to use it. I intend to use a yew rib, not really having enough of it either, then two of these fir ribs herringboned, a yew rib, and so on. (Fir?! You never know.)

This is a pic of an experiment - the thickness is 3mm, and a much tighter bending radius than a rib - if it will do this, then I guess it'll work at 2mm. There's a check on one end of the stick, so I have to mind that; also needs a soft touch with the planes and scrapers. Nice, wiggly figure, more red-and-orange intent, with three coats of Tru-Oil, just to see. I like it so far.
paulO
Oud Junkie

Mood: Utz

[*] posted on 5-20-2008 at 04:14 PM

That rib sample looks very cool, very unique and interesting grain pattern. Thanks for the updates, much appreciated.

Regards..Paul
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-21-2008 at 12:32 PM

Did you manage to get a smooth bend with the fir Jim? Softwoods can be prone to 'wrinkling' or creasing across the grain on the inside curve when being hot bent, even at 3mm thickness. Not sure the best way to avoid this - soaking wood beforehand, using flat sawn rather than quarter sawn ribs, higher bending temperatures etc? What did you do?
carpenter
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-27-2008 at 04:49 AM

I think I got lucky! I used a copper pipe and 200w light bulb bending iron, not hot enough to scorch, sprayed the iron side of the rib with a little water, and used a block of maple to press down on the rib, sort of rocking it around the bend. Slow going. If that hadn't worked, I would have gone with the metal backing strap approach.

The wood's as quarter-sawn as it can be, fairly close-grained, and it's smooth on the inside of the bend. I've had wrinkling on the inside happen before, and thought then that flatsawn wood might not do it as much, but never got any farther than thinking. I do get a nice surface on ribs before I bend them - no bandsaw marks, consistent thickness and so on - maybe that helps spread stress. No idea.

My biggest worry is that the little bits of figure will pop out during the process. So far, so good, but it's certainly not over yet.
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-27-2008 at 04:53 AM

I've always wanted to make a softwood bowl to see how it affects sound. I was thinking Spanish Cedar. This will be an interesting oud Jim.

veyselmaster
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud making

[*] posted on 5-27-2008 at 06:50 AM

very nice rossetes:applause:
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
carpenter
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-27-2008 at 07:22 AM

<< This will be an interesting oud Jim. >>

I do have my theories ... and "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" gets me up in the mornings.

<< very nice rosettes:applause: >>

Thank you! I'm still not entirely certain about them; maybe they're a little too "real." I'm drawing some others that are more symmetrical, abstract, flatter. I'll dummy up a soundhole and see how things look "in place."

I was doing two things at once, and possibly got bad reception on my mental radio. The crows and trees did end up in this (still rough) logo for a music venue: the rosette crows may have been the right thing in the wrong place. We'll see.
carpenter
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-27-2008 at 10:35 AM

Speaking of drawings: "Most Likely to Succeed," bats and clouds. Less is more. I'm still thinking, and paper's cheap.

Okay, sometimes Less is less, but I'm liking this one so far.
carpenter
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-2-2008 at 09:12 AM

There, now, that's better. Figured madrone - same as the neck and pegbox - with a little shellac and burnishing. I like it, plus I have a soft spot for bats; probably between my ears ...
carpenter
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-4-2008 at 02:01 PM

... and the little guys. I sure hope this oud will be as cool as I'm imagining.
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-5-2008 at 03:37 AM

Holy roses, Batman!

This is going to be one unique oud, Jim. Excellent workmanship.

carpenter
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-5-2008 at 06:24 AM

Thank you. I like all the air in the big one.

And they're strong, too - you can park a truck on 'em:
carpenter
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-20-2008 at 10:03 AM

A little progress - I got the fir ribs ripped and planed on one side. Again, I'll say how great planing is; I pity the poor sanders. As curly as this wood is, I got a practically mirror surface - a couple of passes with a freshly-sharpened scraper takes care of the remaining microscopic chips in the figure. It's well worthwhile to get a decent old plane and learn how to sharpen and tune it up.

You can see one of my favorite high-mileage workhorses - a Bailey #3 corrugated sole. It has a non-factory 100+ year old Barton laminated tapered iron; close to 3/16" thick at the business end, no chatter. I sharpen to 600 grit on a granite surface plate, and work up to polishing on a 8000 grit water stone for a mirror edge - that helps.
carpenter
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-20-2008 at 10:10 AM

And that yew didn't work out as I'd hoped, so I looked at some walnut I'd been kicking out of the way for a while. It wasn't quite wide enough as was; I figured out this ripping jig, and got a near quarter cut at the right width. It turned out to have a subtle figure that I didn't see through the rough surface, so I'm pretty happy.

On to the final thickness.
GeorgeK
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 7-21-2008 at 09:07 AM

The pattern in that Yew (2 slides up, right under the truck picture) looks absolutely beautiful. What was it that "didnt work out".

Nice jig (on the previous slide). I was trying to dream up a good method for cutting the ribs to the right thickness. Thanks for sharing.
carpenter
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-21-2008 at 09:46 AM

<< The pattern in that Yew (2 slides up, right under the truck picture) looks absolutely beautiful. What was it that "didn't work out". >>

That's the fir; it's a keeper. The yew took an unexpected short-grain turn into where a limb used to be - two inches longer on the straight end, and I've had it made. Thus the walnut solution.

<< Nice jig (on the previous slide). I was trying to dream up a good method for cutting the ribs to the right thickness. Thanks for sharing.>>

It takes longer to set up than to do the cuts. Luckily, 45 degrees worked perfectly in this case, and I had a 45 metal block for setup. Otherwise, I'd cut a wood block at the correct angle for the job to set up the angled fence/table. It also makes gravity my friend in helping keep the stock against the thickness fence, but close attention is still a good thing.

I use a piece of 1/4"square stock and a small machinist's clamp to reference the distance from the rip fence to the miter slot; once I get it right, future rib thicknesses are easily duplicated, which is great, as long as I don't need that clamp ...

Hope it works out for you.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 7-21-2008 at 02:44 PM

beautyfull stuff sir.
thanks for sharing with us.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top