Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Making an electric oud
Laith
Oud Addict

Mood: getting better

[*] posted on 5-8-2008 at 06:39 PM
Making an electric oud

Does anyone have any instructions/suggestions on making an electric oud? A friend of mine's father is a guitar luthier and I figured an electric oud would be a good way to start out. Plus maybe we could modify the look a little (the mahagony toilet seat-look could have something added to it...) Any help would be greatly appreciated. By the way, I generally am nit super impressed with the sound of electric ouds, but I just purchased the Fishman Aura pedal for nylon string instruments and it made an amazing diffence and it has 16 presets and blend knob to truly tailor the sound. It really blew me away.
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 5-9-2008 at 10:01 AM

2 things I learned from an experienced electric guitar maker
1. use a solid piece of wood with resonant characteristics. The laminated bodies or flat toned wood don't resonate, and the resonance provides the sustain.
2. Don't scrimp on the transducer. A good saddle transducer + pre-amp costs ~ $200. Pickups on a guitar are fuindamental to the sound. cheap pickups don't work.

Laith
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 5-9-2008 at 01:12 PM
thanks for the info Richard

It's probably going to take a few runs at it before we get something playable....If it all works out I'll make sure to post pics of it
Laith
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 5-9-2008 at 01:16 PM
I just realized I was replying to Dr. Oud!

I know you are deffinately the person to get information from about ouds! Quick question---I know very little about wood samples, but would Koa make a good wood? I've always loved the look of koa. Thank you again
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-9-2008 at 03:48 PM

Most electric guitar bodies are made from clear mahogany, ash, or maple. I made my solid electric oud w/ mahogany using a Baggs ribbon transducer and on-board 5 stage pre-amp. It works great. I found some European beech that has a very resonant tap tone - I'll use it for the next one. You need to prop the piece up on one corner and thump it to see if it rings or is a dud. Walnut would probably work as it's a tone wood too. You just need to test the piece you use.

Laith
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 5-10-2008 at 10:42 AM
Thanks for the wood suggestions

I've heard about checking the wood by thumping it. I've noticed most electric ouds I've seen have been mahogany. Another quick question, Najarian makes and electric that has the top face of an oud, if one was to do something like that and cover up the back as well, would that effect the sound? I've been seeing these flat back ouds on ebay, would that be almost the same situation. Hope I'm not bugging you with all this. Thanks----Laith
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-11-2008 at 08:58 AM

If you electrify an acoustic oud, you risk getting feedback at high volume levels. Since a flat back oud has an acoustic face it will resonate, maybe too much, and feedback like an acoustic oud round back. The solid body does not feed back, so you can turn it up as much as you like, just like a solid body electric guitar.

Go To Top