Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: String vibration passing through floating bridge
cjmichael
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-15-2008 at 06:50 PM
String vibration passing through floating bridge

Hello everybody,

When I pluck the strings on my floating bridge oud, I sometimes get this really high pitched buzzing sound. It happens more often with certain positions on the fingerboard. I have just found out what the problem is. The buzzing is actually the tone coming from vibrations of the part of the string from the floating bridge to the ties! I am not too familiar with the physics here, but some of the string vibrations are obviously passing the bridge. In other words, the tone of the buzz is the same tone I get when I actually pluck the part of the string between the bridge and the ties. Anybody encountered this problem before? Any quick fixes?

Thanks,
Chris.
teslim
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-15-2008 at 09:07 PM
Overtones

I have a seven coarse bashir style oud...the overtones especially on the higher strings that resonate behind the bridge are often disruptive to the scales or makams as they may be a note that is not part of that particular makam,,,or they can cause vibrations that cancel each other out or in your case create a buzzing sound...the quick fix is to use something to damp the string behind the bridge such as a piece of tape or a rubber washer...the best solution i have found is the small rubber tubing used for electric wire insulation sold at home depot or most hardware stores .it comes in different sizes and is fairly inexpensive (and reusable)... i end up putting both strings of the pairs through one tube that reaches from the bridge to where it is tied in the rear....the strings from D and lower don't seem to need this on my ouds but it would depend on your instrument. hope this helps.
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 5-16-2008 at 05:44 AM

When I had a bashir style oud, I cut small blocks of rubber from an eraser. Insert one of these between each string pair and it dampens both. And you don't need to remove the strings to do it.

Regards,

Greg
francis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-16-2008 at 05:55 AM

It's also possible to insert a little patch of cloth or leather, between the strings and the table. You can move it as you want and bad vibrations are removed.
I experienced this on my cittern, but I think it's probably avaible with most of floating bridge's instruments....
cjmichael
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-16-2008 at 01:52 PM

These seem like very nice quick fixes. It got me pretty worried that this started happening, and it seems the action has dropped just a tad. I started to wonder if I wasn't maintaining my oud properly.
Melbourne
Oud Junkie

Mood: راحة الأرواح

[*] posted on 5-16-2008 at 06:42 PM

Hey Guys

Its interesting how different people have their certain approaches to this common problem on bashir ouds, and they're all very similar! I've tried the eraser trick, bits of cotton, tissue etc...But at the moment I'm really happy with good old "blu tak", I'm not sure if this product has the same name in the states. But you simply roll up a small ball and press it down on the offending course of strings close to the tailpiece where the strings are tied - it works a treat !

Cheers
Sam
francis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-17-2008 at 12:49 AM

Hey

I keep "blu tak" to tune my uilleann pipes regulators! ( another forum........)
but it works right to damp also.
I prefer it inside, 'cause it can damage varnish....."french" blue tak does this!
Be carefull!

Go To Top