Printable Version  
Author: Subject: porcupine quills, rattlesnakes & rosettes
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

Mood: what?

[*] posted on 4-21-2004 at 02:28 PM
porcupine quills, rattlesnakes & rosettes

two things -

1 -  thanks to information supplied by vkioulaphides on the mandolincafe site, i split open a porcupine quill in the manner prescribed for a quill and discovered it makes a pretty good plectrum.  i haven't soaked it in olive oil yet (the piece i used was left-over from the 1st, failed experiment) but i'm sure it will perform pretty much like a birds quill.

2 - much more interesting and way bizarre:  check out this entry on ebay in the us:  RATTLESNAKE RATTLE W/7 SEG FIDDLE VIOLIN Item number: 3718406477.  this guy claims that by inserting a rattlesnake rattle inside your instrument you can increase its resonance. apparently, some fiddle and bluegrass mandolin players have done this as it's also a way to ward off evil spirits. naturally, i was sceptical but it just seems so completely off the wall that i'll probably give it a try.

and...with a rattlesnake rattle rattling around in my oud, i'll be asserting it's "new world" indentity away from arab, "old world" musical tradition.

don't tread on me - bill
LeeVaris
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud lover

[*] posted on 4-21-2004 at 03:57 PM
Porcupine Rishas

hmm... now lets see, where can I find a porcupine quill for my next risha experiments?

Rattlesnake rattle resonance enhancer? I don't know about that... maybe... but couldn't we come up with a more middle eastern snake – hey, how about asp fang rishas...! ;)

regards,

Lee Varis
varis@varis.com , www.varis.com
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

Mood: what?

[*] posted on 4-25-2004 at 11:14 PM

on the

http://www.mandolincafe.com/

site, in the "classical, medieval/renaissance" section of the message board, alex has posted two illustrated items which show how to make cherrywood plectrum.

Go To Top