Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Fadi Matta Ouds
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-2-2008 at 08:53 AM

No, I didn't put Aquila on it.
But I heard when my friend was using pyramid lute string in Do tuning and I tried it with Lenzner strings in Do. The sound was much more sweeter, still loud as all floating bridge, but without this metallic sound.
Anyway I am looking for this kind of sound now, as I am using this instrument when I wish to play Naseer Shamma pieces or around this style of interpretation.
I wish now to try a palissander oud from Fadi Matta to decide then if I took an instrument from him ( most probably ) or if I buy this intrument to my friend ( in any case his lending is a little interested...:) )
rojaros
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-21-2008 at 10:40 AM

Hi there, I listened to the sound of the Fadi Matta Oud posted on YouTube and I really liked it.

Can you give me a clue how much his Oud costs and how the ordering procedure goes (my french isn't that great!).

Would appreciate an answer very much!
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-21-2008 at 02:25 PM

Dear Rojaros, in any case for ordering an instrument from him, you have to took contact with Mr Matta in person.
I would recommend you to find someone who speak arabic or french and contact him with him. You have his phone in the thread and he is really a kind person.
His waiting order time around one month.
Then you can go to his place, but I'm pretty sure he may also ship an oud to you.
Regards
veyselmaster
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud making

[*] posted on 7-22-2008 at 02:25 AM

Very nice congratulationsc,nice bowl
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
katakofka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gypsy

[*] posted on 7-22-2008 at 08:28 AM

Thanks veyselmaster
check that oud with Bassem Rizk, erable bowl, done by Fadi Matta too. You will see the bowl at the end of the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e63xxLcmx1U
veyselmaster
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud making

[*] posted on 7-22-2008 at 10:51 AM

katakofka
i listened track , i really like it, i saw the bowl of the oud, thanks

best wishes
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Shadi
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 10-22-2008 at 01:48 PM

Hey I just Ordered My Fadi Matta Oud and I'm really excited. I should hopefully get it by the end of next week. I have a question though. Because of how the floating bridge is set up, is one set of Strings going to be enough string to string it? or am I gonna have to use two sets???
katakofka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-22-2008 at 03:21 PM

Hey Shadi..Mabruk
Actually the oud comes with strings loaded already. Fadi uses Krushner strings, a good quality strings. When you need strings ask Jameel at http://www.khalafoud.com/ you can get a complete 13 strings set for about 25$.
Looking forward to seeing your instrument
Enjoy it

shareen
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dreaming

[*] posted on 10-22-2008 at 05:26 PM

How much is it costing you? I want one of these too. Played one this Summer with Charbel Rouhana. Great oud!! What is the shipping cost and his turn around time? Does he have them "in stock" or did you have to order one to be made>
Shadi
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 10-23-2008 at 04:25 AM

I had to wait a couple of weeks for him to make it. it costs between $1250-1500 on average from what I've seen and from what kind of deal you can get. Shipping was a pain in the butt. it costs 300 to ship it via DHL and 100 for insurance. so the whole shebang is costing me $1700. and he says it will only take 3 days to ship. I'm really excited.

Oh and Katakofka, what I was wondering about was because the strings extend all the way to the bottom of the body instead of stopping at the bridge, but you answered me. and Thank you So much for pointing me in his direction. I really Owe you big. If you're ever in Louisiana or Houston, look me up w Mayyel la 3anna :P.
katakofka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-23-2008 at 05:14 AM

Hey Shadi
Fadi will ship the instrument with a loose action to avoid the string tension during the shipping. Adjust the action before you play it otherwise you would feel that the strings are elevated from the fingerboard.
It takes 3 days. This is true. He sent mine on Tuesday I got in on Friday

Oud Freak
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud Jerk :)

[*] posted on 10-26-2008 at 04:52 AM

Shadi, with a Fadi Matta oud, you'll be surprised and not disappointed. Be sure you'll enjoy one of the best intruments ever. I said the same thing to Katakofka and it was true. Cheers!

Shadi
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 12-17-2008 at 08:46 PM

So I've been absolutely adoring my Fadi Matta Oud. Thank you all so much for the brilliant advice. but a problem has come up. I changed the strings a while ago to aquila light tension strings, and apparently, 3.7 kg is not light tension at all for this Oud. now I have this unstoppable buzz on the nylon strings and I'm worried I'm destroying my Oud already. What kind of strings do you guys use on your Mattas?
Shadi
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 12-17-2008 at 08:48 PM

The Buzz is coming from the Bridge from the high c and f strings, and sometimes the g on a bad day. Help!!!!
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 12-17-2008 at 08:52 PM

shadi are you sure you have put the bridge at the right string lenght.
make sure it is where you first had it.
it needs to be exactly on the spot.

it might be that the strings are rattling against each other this could be a problem of having to thick of a string set.

unlikely that you have destroyed your oud already :) just relax.

try to put the bridge on a slight angle. like 5 degrees. if you notice the buzz dissapears it might be because the slot on the bridge for the strings to rest on is to deep or was deepened when you changed strings.
In that case you can make a new bridge or ask Fadi to make another for you.
Shadi
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 12-17-2008 at 09:11 PM

the buzz gets a lot better when I have the bridge at an angle.

and when I use a much thicker risha. Peculiar...

So switching back to light strings won't work? now I need a new bridge?
katakofka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-18-2008 at 07:12 AM

hey shadi
post a picture from the top. Let us see the bridge and the strings. Otherwise it might be difficult to help. Take 2 pictures, one too close to the strings on the bridge and another one showing all the soundboard.
Also, is the neck adjustable ??

Shadi
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 12-18-2008 at 10:42 PM

yeah the neck is adjustable. I'll post some pictures tomorrow.
cjmichael
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-19-2008 at 11:33 AM

Shadi,

Try this simple thing before you do anything else to your oud. Take a small ball of paper, a cotton ball, a little piece of rubber, or anything else that dampens sound. Slide them right under the strings where the ties are, between the strings and the soundboard. See if that gets rid of the weird buzzing.

This is a very simple thing and I'd try it first just to rule out that the vibrations when you pluck the strings are not passing over the bridge. I had this very problem on my high strings, and I tied the strings together between the bridge and the ties with some yarn to mute out the unwanted high pitch tones.

Great to hear about another oud player in Louisiana. Congrats.
shareen
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dreaming

[*] posted on 12-19-2008 at 04:21 PM

I just paid for one and he will be shipping on Monday. I just read an old post and think maybe I am paying a bit too much...$1500 plua $400 for shipping. I remember Charbel telling me they cost $1300. Maybe Fadi is getting the idea that we Americans don't usually bargain for things (not hardwired into the culture). I probably should have negotiated, but it didn't really occur to me! Oh well. I'm sure I'll be very happy with it. Can't wait!
Oud Freak
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud Jerk :)

[*] posted on 12-20-2008 at 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shareen
I just paid for one and he will be shipping on Monday. I just read an old post and think maybe I am paying a bit too much...$1500 plua $400 for shipping. I remember Charbel telling me they cost $1300. Maybe Fadi is getting the idea that we Americans don't usually bargain for things (not hardwired into the culture). I probably should have negotiated, but it didn't really occur to me! Oh well. I'm sure I'll be very happy with it. Can't wait!

Shareen, maybe Charbel told you what was the price, actually he sold you at an excellent price, and believe me that when you get the oud you will forget its price ;)

Shadi
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 12-29-2008 at 12:20 AM

CJ Michael that tip worked out perfectly. I'm still not crazy at all about the sound of the Aquillas on this Oud so I was wondering if anyone else had a suggestion? I've been told nothing works like the Kurschners that it comes with but I am ignorant as to where to acquire those. I also noticed that as beautifulll as those original strings sounded, they did not last long at all. is there any similar string out there as far as thickness that is a bit more durable??
katakofka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-29-2008 at 10:57 AM

hi Shadi
I have used, beside the krushner, Pyramid Lute strings. These are the best but expensive (100$ the set). Now I am working on D'addario custom strings from jameel's website http://www.khalafoud.com/
This is my combination on my oud, a 60cm stringlengh
Note Item tension
f NYL020 3.61
f NYL020 3.61
c NYL027 3.69
c NYL027 3.69
g NYL033 3.10
g NYL033 3.10
D NYL024W 4.18
D NYL024W 4.18
A NYL029W 3.70
A NYL029W 3.70
F NYL033W 3.58
F NYL033W 3.58
C NYL043W 3.73
Average tension 3.65

the set costs around 25$. They are not durable but since they are not expensive change them every 2-3 months. Pyramid lute strings are more durable (4-5 months) but they cost !

Good luck

Shadi
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 12-29-2008 at 12:20 PM

Thats strange, my Oud turned out to be a 60.5 string length. It seems like his ouds are somewhat standardized though. Doctor Suheil. I don't know what I'd do without you. THANK YOU. I promise I'm gonna show you guys soon.
katakofka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-29-2008 at 02:22 PM

yep, fadi makes mainly 60cm scale except if you ask for something else.
Another alternative on Fadi's oud is the pyramid strings, not the lute strings. The set is 14-15$ add the ff strings from d'addario (Nyl020). It' would come cheaper that ordering a custom d'addario strings.
If you like try the pyramid strings for jameel's website and give us ur feedback http://www.khalafoud.com/pyramidstrings.htm

Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top