Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Other than Oud what do you play?
Tkoind
Oud Maniac

Mood: dreaming

[*] posted on 6-3-2008 at 12:03 AM
Other than Oud what do you play?

This is a bit off topic but I hope interesting.

I've been learning as much as I can about the lineage of central Asia lutes. There are common traits from the Uyghur Dutar and Tembor to the Persian Tanboor and Setar to the Turkish Saz and Oud and so on. They also share a common trait of claiming to be the most ancient lute makers.

I'm curious what other instruments the Oud players here are playing and experimenting with. What instruments do you play, from where, how did you get one, how did you start playing and how do you study?

I'll start.

We experiment with Silk Road music so we experiment with instruments from there as well.

Persian Setar: purchased from Tehran, started playing just on my own and studying using any media I can find. I hope to study with a proper teacher some day.

Uzbek Tanbur: I have a master level instrument found by some friends in Tashkent. I can't really play it yet. But the sound is unmatched by any other lute I am aware of in somber and unique tone. I have not found any learning materials yet.

Uyghur Tembor/Setar: Massive long 180cm 5 string lute. Learning from video. Got it from a great guy named Elvis in Kashgar.
patheslip
Oud Junkie

Mood: smooth

[*] posted on 6-3-2008 at 01:17 AM

I play the fiddle. Started when a lad as my grandfather played. I've got his old fiddle somewhere hidden away.
francis
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-3-2008 at 01:37 AM

I play the cittern, on a fine instrument built by a maker from Paris. I play irish music and eastern europe tunes on it . When playing bulgarian, macedonian or greek tunes I rather use the cittern like a tamboura or bouzouk.
I also play the pipes, uilleann pipes for irish music and bulgarian gaidas for eastern europe tunes....
.....And I'm learning the oud, a great new pleasure!
dubai244
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-3-2008 at 02:55 AM

Hi,

Beside oud, I play Bouzouki and Baglama. I got my first bouzouki back in 1995 as gift from friend was coming from Damascus, syria. And I bought my baglama 3 years ago from a music shop here in Dubai. I am learning both music from Youtube videos and i am really impressed about what these instruments can do !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmb5TEz0E-U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=795JdehFZfM

Thanks
Cooper
Oud Maniac

Mood: 0

[*] posted on 6-3-2008 at 07:04 AM

I mostly play the hammered dulcimer and Arabic tablah. I love my oud, but I am not good at it yet (some would just call me an "oud owner" ;) )
Amer
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 6-3-2008 at 07:25 AM

Prior to discovering the beautiful world of the oud, I used to play the Arabic tabla (a.k.a dumbak)..
Started playing during in-between-class breaks drumming on the table with my fingers while classmates dance and add their grooves drumming on their tables too.. :D :applause:
The first tabla I got was a red-snake-leather type from Syria (very common in Syria and Egypt)..
You can get them from eBay or any middle eastern ethnic shops worldwide.. not so hard to find
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

Mood: play my ouds

[*] posted on 6-3-2008 at 10:06 AM

hello my friend...
I play seven strings viola da gamba,cumus,saz,yayli tanbur and greek baglama.
Ofcourse ud,Iraqui oud and electrical ones with 6 and 7 courses,and Greek Hybrid laouto[with seven courses,fretless with metall strings]
Best Regards to all
Spyros

oudplayer
Oud Junkie

Mood: ouds up

[*] posted on 6-3-2008 at 10:48 AM

Hey guys

well the question is what instruments i own ? the answer is way to many.

What do i play.? well i mostly enjoy playing perccusions. always have since a lil kid.i play
djembe
darbukah/ tabla
riqq
frame drum
congas/ bongos. basicly anything with a skin head that i can hit with your hand lol.

working with a band now on a cd.

thx sammy

oh yeh i play the oud but it will take me a lifetime to really learn how to play it like farid or maybe 5 lifetimes.

we are lost camels in the desert and wanna find our way to water and the water is in aden
carpenter
Oud Junkie

Mood: brimming with hope

[*] posted on 6-3-2008 at 10:55 AM

I mostly play fiddle, as Eugene's best second-rate Irish fiddler. Also mandolin, octave mandolin, guitar, hurdy-gurdy/vielle, understrung Scandinavian fiddle, bones, bodhran (Irish single-head drum), and Greek baglamas. Historically, fretless electric bass (move over, Jack Bruce!).

I play by ear. The ouds and 'gurdies I built from scratch, the fiddles I rebuilt from the kindling they were when I got them.
The baglamas I got In Athens 10 yrs. or so ago; others store-bought locally.

I started playing because I liked what I was listening to. I build because I sure couldn't afford to buy all those.

Now, if you'd said, "What do you play well?" I'd trim that list a little. (Okay, a lot ...)
Jassim
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud Player

[*] posted on 6-3-2008 at 11:04 AM

hi all
i like oud but i play violin and kanon too
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Tkoind
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 6-3-2008 at 03:47 PM

I'm very happy to see that most people responding have experimented with a lot of instruments. And even more happy to see that most simply started out of a love for the sounds.

May I add one more question to the thread?

Other than the instruments you play now, what is the #1 instrument you would like to try?

RainInEden
Silk Road Inspired Music Project
Tokyo, Japan
http://www.rainineden.com
Abusaid
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-3-2008 at 07:16 PM

I usually play tabla (darbuka), and I would like to play nay. I have receive today a Nay set from Mr. Magdy (Michel) Moussa, from UK, he is a very nice person and also a great oud maker.
arsene
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-4-2008 at 05:55 AM

I am first and foremost a guitarist.

I got into ethnic instruments when I discovered the Romanian cobza (Romanian small version of the oud but strung with bouzouki strings, see http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=2235#pid470... )

so now I play:

guitar(s)
cobza
oud
bouzouki
saz (ozun sap)

I also play egyptian tabla.

I own a kaval but cannot say I really play it well :)

I would really like to get my hands on a lebanese or syrian buzuk...
Cooper
Oud Maniac

Mood: 0

[*] posted on 6-4-2008 at 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tkoind
May I add one more question to the thread?

Other than the instruments you play now, what is the #1 instrument you would like to try?

The qanun! And I just got one, but it damaged in shipping :( The bridge cracked on the bass side and now I am working out the details with the seller. It is a Sukar qanun and it is not bad for the money, but not up to the quality of Sukar's ouds (I think that is more of the price of the qanun than the maker).
Masel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-4-2008 at 07:39 AM

I started with guitar first, then oud and recently violin. Still not good on the violin though.. I'd really like to learn qanun at some point but I keep worrying it might be spreading myself too thin, do all multi-instrumentalists get this feeling?
Christian1095
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-4-2008 at 09:53 AM

I started playing bass guitar as a teenager. Mostly heavy metal (Slayer, Iron Maiden, Ozzy, Danzig) but also a lot of Reggae (Bob Marley mostly) and then progressive rock in college (Dave Matthews, REM, etc.) with a band.

I had a couple of Arabic classes in college, so that got me into Middle Eastern music.... But there was a ten year lapse where I finished school and started working... Then my wife got into bellydance and from listening to her music I heard the Oud and fell in love with the sound. I've been playing less than a month, but I'm really enjoying it. Thankfully we have this forum because I would be lost without it.

Chris Walters
arsene
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-4-2008 at 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Masel
I keep worrying it might be spreading myself too thin, do all multi-instrumentalists get this feeling?

YES!! :(
carpenter
Oud Junkie

Mood: brimming with hope

[*] posted on 6-4-2008 at 02:48 PM

<< I keep worrying it might be spreading myself too thin, do all multi-instrumentalists get this feeling? >>

I sure do - some days it's all I can do to even keep everything tuned, what with the humidity changes, let alone stay current on tunes. The crushing, hidden price of True Genius, I guess. Heh.
arsene
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-4-2008 at 03:46 PM

Some days it feels like having a lot of attention-demanding wives, and you start thinking you would have probably been better off sticking to monogamy, but then you play a couple of them and you realise why you got 'em in the first place... :)

Ok, that probably sounded a little weird.
Tkoind
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 6-4-2008 at 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Masel
I started with guitar first, then oud and recently violin. Still not good on the violin though.. I'd really like to learn qanun at some point but I keep worrying it might be spreading myself too thin, do all multi-instrumentalists get this feeling?

Absolutely. But I can't help exploring instruments.
Japanese believe that things take on a spirit, part of the maker, a part of the people who may use it and in time this spirit becomes something of its own. I'm not very mystical minded, but I like the thought of that.

Our band is just three people. And our sound is about the Silk Road. We don't want to use samples, and though we are not doing authentic traditional music, we still want the sound and style of the regions we explore. So we have not choice but to try playing what we need given those ideas. Somehow, it is working so far. But we have a lot to learn and are always wishing for more time to study and practice. For now we just do our best and try to enjoy playing and discovering these instruments more than anything.

RainInEden
Silk Road Inspired Music Project
Tokyo, Japan
http://www.rainineden.com
stringmanca
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud Moud

[*] posted on 6-4-2008 at 04:11 PM

I started on viola in 7-9th grade, but gave it up when I went to high school. I keep thinking I'd like to get back to the viola or violin (I actually have one with a missing string in the closet) but have been putting it off due to the initial awful-sounding period I'd have to go through, as well as the sore neck!

I also started guitar shortly after the viola and have kept that up, although the oud has been getting most of my attention for the past couple of years.

Similar to Chris, when my wife got interested in belly dancing, I got interested in the music and we both eventually took up Arabic percussion. After a couple of years of studying rhythms I switched to oud.

Here's the full list, or as much as I can think of at the moment:
acoustic & electric guitars, electric bass, mandolin, joura (small-bodied bouzouki), oud, balalaika, drumset, arabic percussion, one-handed keyboards

I took a semester of flute in college many years ago, but kept running out of breath. I'd love to play nay, but I suspect I'd have the same problem...

I've also dabbled in electronic music and computer/synth noise-stuff.

My wife has given up dancing and now sings in Arabic and is studying qanun, so I mess around with that a bit, but I can't stand wearing picks on my fingers.

Nathan
http://www.alazifoon.com
http://www.easternstrings.com
:airguitar:
will_oud
Oud Maniac

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 6-6-2008 at 07:33 AM

Hello all. I play anything with strings that's plucked. Some oud, saz, mandolin, bass guitar, upright bass, harps of all types, and steel guitar. The number one is the steel at the moment. I've got a scale based tuning that I will eventually try to integrate in to Middle Eastern music. Amazing things can happen when you take the knee levers and pedals off of that trusty old steel and start messing around with microtones using nothing but picks and bar movement.

William F. Sparks
mourad_X
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-6-2008 at 02:20 PM

have a look;)

mourad_X
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-6-2008 at 02:23 PM

i'm so sorry my animatet gif does not work here

so here is a picture...

Jason
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving my oud

[*] posted on 6-6-2008 at 06:06 PM

Guitar and electric bass were the first instruments I picked up. I majored in music on upright bass. I didn't start playing oud until I was in college.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top