Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Other than Oud what do you play?
Sasha
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 6-7-2008 at 12:23 PM

My friends call my music room 'The Seraglio', and my instruments are referred to as 'Sasha's fat-bottomed concubines'...

Here's a list of the ones that I play on a regular basis:

Strings
Oud
Turkish saz - cura, bozuk, baglama and divan sizes
Azeri koshkarjeh - essentially the same as the Uzbek and Kashgar rawap (skin face, sounds like Persian tar).
Turkmen dutar
Cumbus
Kyrgyz komuz

Bowed strings
Black Sea Kemenche
Egyptian rebab

Winds
Turkish ney
Zurna/mizmar
Armenian duduk
Armenian paku
Macedonian kaval
German mediaval bagpipes
mezuod (Maghrebi bagpipes)
Sipsi
Mijwiz
Argul

Percussion
Davul/tupan/tabl beledi
Persian def (with chains)
Tar
Bendir
Darabukkah
Riqq/mazhar
Ghatam (Indian clay pot srum)
Armenian dhol
Persian tombak
Moroccan qarqaba

There are a bunch of other instruments of various types, but the ones listed above are the ones I play on a regular basis...
DaveH
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-12-2008 at 04:07 AM

The guitars are both beautiful and it took me a long time to find the "style" of classical guitar that I really liked - gentler sound, lighter action than the really loud, bassy ones that are the norm these days. But they've been criminally neglected of recent years owing to a growing obsession with things round-backed. I like the way the sound is much more subtle and multi-dimensional than the guitar.

I got into the renaissance lute first as I loved the sound and, like the oud, because it was THE instrument at the time, there's a huge amount of really beautiful music for it - not just of the "men in tights" variety. Then I branched out to baroque lute which is a totally different beast. To be honest I've made limited progress on this - all those strings and a quite different right hand technique have seen to that, plus spending a lot of time in countries with very unforgiving climates - 100% humidity and air contitioning is not the environment to take a delicate instrument like a lute - believe me, I found out the hard way. But I still play a few pieces and it sounds fantastic, even with me at the helm - soft, but really deep and strong.

So I've lost my guitar technique (and my nails) because I got into lutes, but with too many roundbacks to concentrate on I've never really mastered any of them (oud included). If there was a royal society for the prevention of cruelty to musical instruments, they'd confiscate my gorgeous guitars and probably force me to concentrate on one of the lutes only. But I couldn't give any of them up because, even with limited skill, they make such lovely noises when I do pick them up. What are you going to do? :shrug:

Once I had a plan to collect a whole bunch of plucked string instruments, but I underestimated the effort in learning an instrument well and it's really sad just to have them on a wall or locked up in a case unused. So i'm pretty much resigned to sticking to these for life now. But if I had to choose a new one I think I'd go for the setar. Or maybe a corsican cetera, which is a kind of cittern with 8 strings. Or a portuguese guitar for some homely fado...
DaveH
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-12-2008 at 04:15 AM

Sorry I went on a bit there and I think the first bit of my post got cut. I was just saying that, like someone said above, I got into all my instruments because I really liked the sound and the specific music it allowed you to play, and usually because I was attracted by a particular artist or composer:

Classical guitar by Manuel Contreras - Andres Segovia (of course)
Flamenco guitar by Manuel Raimundo - Manuel Morao on siguiriyas and Merenguito on granainas
8 course renaissance lute by Malcom Prior - Francesco Canova da Milano (composer)
13 course baroque lute by Cesar Mateus - Silvius Leopold Weiss (composer)
6 course floating bridge oud by Nazih Ghadban - Munir Bashir.
gregorypause
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 6-12-2008 at 06:43 AM

I play guitar most often. I can manage on bass, mandolin and citera (hungarian zither) as well.

What I find most refreshing in playing the oud and guitar is that each instrument has its limitations and the other instrument excels in the same area. I mean the oud is mainly a melodic instrument with no frets, so there is a lot of freedom in playing it, but the scales are limited mostly because of the 'droning' lower strings. The guitar gives you a lot of freedom in playing scales in different keys. I play mostly chords with occasional solos - so not much focus on the melody side.

Convoluted theory, I know. :)
Tkoind
Oud Maniac

Mood: dreaming

[*] posted on 6-12-2008 at 07:32 PM

Mourad_X, your room has a similar thing going as ours. The trusty iMac and electronics, random percussion and in our case more long neck string instruments than we often have time to play. I'd love to hear what you are creating there!

Sasha, want to join a band in Tokyo? Sounds like you have a strong Silk Road interest too. We have had a hard time finding bowed and wind instrument players here with experience and interest in Silk Road instruments.

Would also love to hear what you are doing.

RainInEden
Silk Road Inspired Music Project
Tokyo, Japan
http://www.rainineden.com
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top