Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: SUKAR adjustable action question
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: chords prefer frets

[*] posted on 6-4-2008 at 10:48 AM
SUKAR adjustable action question

I would like to take the action down a little on my Sukar oud. Has anyone done this ?. I will need to remove the rosette (scary) and then put it back(scary). What will I find? which way do I turn the Screw etc. ? All help very much appreciated. Regards, Charlie :shrug:
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-6-2008 at 02:50 PM

Ive had no response to this so I did a search and found no conclusive view. One thread stated that the glue had to be softened, if this is the case then there seems no point in the mechanism because you might aswell reset the neck. Im off to a luthier on tuesday, he will remove the rosette and we'll see. The oud has a fine sound, so it will be worth the trouble. :(
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-11-2008 at 11:27 PM

The Sukar is sorted, the rosette was easy to remove/replace. Inside there is a wing nut which was loose resulting in a high action. We tightened it and the job was done, I now have a superb low action on an excellent sounding oud. Mr Sukar is to be commended for this mechanism :applause: in view of a common problem, it makes common sense. C
Christian1095
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-22-2008 at 07:59 AM

Charlie, you ROCK for sharing this :buttrock:

I had the oposite problem, my action was too low resulting in some buzz... made a minor adjustment and now it's perfect.

I love this forum!

Chris Walters
Christian1095
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-22-2008 at 01:04 PM

Might be a silly question... but is this a feature that's limited to Sukar ouds? Or is this pretty commonplace?

Chris Walters
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 7-22-2008 at 01:19 PM

Ibrahim Sukar and Fadi Matta are the only luthiers I know of that do have this feature.
I am sure that some small scale lesser known luthiers have done this before.
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-22-2008 at 10:35 PM

Hey thanks Chris, Glad you found this helpful. Its an absolute delight to have a good sounding oud and knowing you can choose the action you prefer anytime you like. Regards. C :cool:
Oud Freak
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud Jerk :)

[*] posted on 7-23-2008 at 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SamirCanada
Ibrahim Sukar and Fadi Matta are the only luthiers I know of that do have this feature.
I am sure that some small scale lesser known luthiers have done this before.

Yes maybe ur right, though we never heard of them.
For Succar mechanism, one has to reach the mechanism by entering through the rosette, which is not that practical and easy.
However, Matta's mechanism is much more "brilliant" and practical since it is a reachable mechanism (knobs located on the back of the fingerboard) and very easy to manage.
;)

Christian1095
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-23-2008 at 07:00 AM

True, but it seems pretty uncommon to find a Sukar oud with the large rosette....

Chris Walters
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-23-2008 at 07:32 AM

Also Chris, Im begining to think ouds sound a bit better with out the rosette. My Sukar has a rosette which Ive chosen to remove because I prefer the sound without it. C :cool:
carpenter
Oud Junkie

Mood: brimming with hope

[*] posted on 7-23-2008 at 08:36 AM

<< Im begining to think ouds sound a bit better with out the rosette. >>

That's a slippery slope, son - next you'll be thinking about a floating bridge, then pickups, geared tuners, frets ...
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-23-2008 at 08:57 AM

No, its a thought of mine. The slippery slope is a thought of yours as is the assumption that you'll know what I'll next be thinking. But yes I agree it sounds a bit sweeping. I'll re phrase: "Im begining to think I prefer the sound of ouds without rosettes". Ok ? :rolleyes: Hope that'll put me on slightly firmer terrain, moreover, my opinion is unimportant.
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 7-24-2008 at 02:19 AM

I understand the Eugenian sense of humour Carpenter. ;)

The only problem I'm having with my Türünz oud is where to screw on the whammy bar!
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-24-2008 at 03:04 AM

Know the feeling mate, I wondered why I was'nt getting anything out of my wah-wah,:airguitar: I looked down and realised it was a footstool. te he ha ha boom boom :D
Butrous
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 7-24-2008 at 05:29 AM

Ibrahim Sukar never uses a center rosette for the very reason that occasionally the wing nut needs to be tightened. Someone else put the center rosette in the oud or someone that does no understand the the neck is connected to the body with a metal bolt that is secured by the nut asked him to put one in.

The Fadi Matta and Ibrahim Sukar systems are completely different. I know, I interviewed them both on this matter.

Fadi Matta uses a screw mechanism that actually changes the position of the neck. You turn the screw mechanism and the neck will change positions.

Ibrahim Suker uses a bolt that is embedded in the neck and connected to the body through a block of wood inside the top of the body. The wing nut just keeps the neck tightly fastened.

If over time, or changes in temperature, or rough usage or travel the nut starts to loosen and the action raises up, just tighten the nut and the action will lower as the neck will return to its proper place. Most members of the Forum have discovered this on their own.

Ibrahim Sukar adjusts the action of every oud before it leaves the shop. How he does this is not easy to explain in this Forum.
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-24-2008 at 06:09 AM

Hey Thanks for that Butrous. I wondered why mine was the only Sukar I've seen with a rosette. I did not buy it direct so I do not know how the rosette came to be. The shipping explains how the wing nut came loose and of course it does not make sense to house a centre rosette with an internal adjustment screw. What impresses me most is how he has managed to maintain a low playing action along the whole fingerboard and still allow a high bridge action. C
danoud
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 7-27-2008 at 08:27 AM

Hi all!!
Charley your Sukar oud is the only one with rossete because, I spoke directly with Sukar and I told him that I want my custom oud like this...so NOBODY put this rossete after Sukar made it, This rossete is Sukar model like the rossetes he uses in his qanuns... and I saw how Sukar put this rossete in the oud, in his workshop
I f you remember I told you that this oud is a custom oud, made it for me.

Go To Top