Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oud neck problem
comthre3
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-4-2008 at 05:15 PM
Oud neck problem

Hi, i've got a 1997 Salmeen Kuwaiti Oud, beautiful sound and all, but in the past couple of months i noticed a slight increase in the hight of the strings, its really noticeable, its affecting my playing too, i cant be as fast as i used to before simply because i have to press harder resulting in the loss of some tunes, so is there a way to fix that me being in montreal and all? i think ill be heading back home by next Christmas or something, and i really cant wait that long, does anyone know of a good oudsman that would help me solve this conundrum?

please see attached photo of the problem mentioned above.

Regards

Ahmed.

(graphic resized to 800 pixels wide by moderator)

\"Dubito, Ergo cogito, Ergo sum\" René Descartes
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 6-4-2008 at 07:44 PM

I am in Ottawa and sometimes I go to montreal.
I repair ouds from time to time and I have repaired this kind of problem.
send me an email at
samir_nassif@hotmail.com
Amer
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 6-4-2008 at 07:54 PM

I've had this problem in my first oud, I understand how frustrating it could get..

My question is: what would make the strings "become" too high?!

I thought my first oud was poorly made, and that the problem existed because of the oud maker..
If this problem can "develop", even on better quality ouds, how can it be prevented?
How is this fixed?

Just need to add up a little more to my knowledge guys, :shrug:
dubai244
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-4-2008 at 08:50 PM

Hi Ahmed,

Is your oud has floating bridge "Saheb Aali" ör " Faras motahrik"? or fixed bridge? because that's make huge different.

If you have Floating bridge, basiclly, you can reduce the hight of the floating bridge so the hight of the strings will reduce and you can ajdusted as you like to suit you.
If you have Fix bridge, then either you have to change the bridge, which is easier and does not need so many works or you have to change the neck of the oud which will cost you money and time and it might affect the oud.

As i can see from the pictures, i assumed you have too high bridge which leaded to high strings "high Action", so you have to reduce the bridge hight.

having said that, keep on mind that the neck is start moving because of the strings pressure and the permenant solution will be changing the neck.
Thanks
comthre3
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 6-4-2008 at 09:28 PM

Wow I'm baffled with these helpful responses. dubai244 thanks for your helpful. My oud has a fixed bridge. And from your response it seems like there would be a simple solution. Now here's the question. Would you recommend a new floating bridge or should I just get a lower fixed one?

Thank you all for quick responses, hope to hear from you soon. I will email you brother samir first thing in the morning

Regards

francis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-5-2008 at 01:00 AM

Did you recently change the strings before the neck move?
May be the strings are now too strong for your oud, so it could be this result....
I ever had such problems on different stringed instrument, when trying new sets of strings.Possible that lighter strings could be better for your oud's health.
comthre3
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 6-5-2008 at 06:12 AM

Actually i did, but the neck issue was before that, so i dont think its a tension problem, I was wondering if its a good idea to have a floating bridge to replace this one. ill post more pictures later of the bridge

thank you.

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 6-5-2008 at 06:57 AM

If the joint inside the neck is weakened over time by the tension it will bend in this way.
It happens to some of the nicest ouds.

You cannot make a stuck on bridge into a floating bridge oud. The bracing under the face have to be changed in order to accommodate the new type of strength which is downward pressure as opposed to horizontal torque.

If you make a new bridge ( you can also make new holes under the holes that are already there)
It will make the strings to low to play comfortably and you will be hitting the face of your oud with the risha a lot. Also making the strings lower on a stuck on bridge will diminish the sound volume.

There is no escaping the truth... the neck must be angled back to have nice playing action.
the neck warp is a normal thing that can happen to many great ouds. The new joinery techniques that are used by modern luthiers are usually able to withstand many years of use without any troubles.
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 6-5-2008 at 10:43 AM

An effective alternative is to add a fingerboard on top of the original. 3-5mm thickness will raise the fingerboard and lower the string height. The new fingerboard can be extended as far as the top edge of the sound hole without any adverse affect on the sound. It can be tapered down at the top nut to lower the strings even more if necessary or in the future. The raising of the strings is common with all ouds, no matter what the quality. It is simply the instrument reacting to the constant string tension. Some times the neck joint will loosen, but often it's just the body bending over time.

comthre3
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 6-5-2008 at 12:10 PM

that has never crossed my mind, thank you both, first, i never thought that changing the bridge would lead to me hitting the face of the oud alot with the risha, now that i think of it, that does make sense, and Dr. thank you for that marvelous advice, do you happen to know where i could purchase such a nifty gadget? that fingerboard, I've never heard of such a thing to be honest, but it seems like the rational thing to do. since it wont affect the structure of the oud.

Regards

Ahmed

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 6-5-2008 at 12:16 PM

To see a Tapered fingerboard i will point you to my oud project on this link. Notice how the fingerboard is really thick at the sound hole and it gets thiner at the nut.
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=4814&pa...
Sorry... you cant buy these ''gadgets'' you have to make them for the oud. :shrug: ;)

The other way is to do a neck reset, It can be done this way as seen in my other project.
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=6063

All the best
Samir
comthre3
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 6-5-2008 at 03:48 PM

Thank you Samir, I've got my oud's neck fixed once before in Kuwait, Salmeen store, I think I need a fingerboard like the one you had for your first project, did it change the sound at all? plus what kind of wood did you use for that by the way?

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 6-5-2008 at 08:14 PM

The wood for the fingerboard is rosewood.

It shouldn't affect the sound like Dr.Oud said. Its not in an area where it affects the sound.

If there was a neck fix and it failed then I suggest to do another one. Because the oud is not that old it shouldn't need it already.
comthre3
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 6-6-2008 at 06:40 AM

Thats why i need it looked at by a pro, so I dont know I might email you before I come up, cuz i think im comming up to Ottawa soon, is that ok with you?

Regards

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 6-6-2008 at 06:46 AM

Sure drop me an email.
I can take a look at it and let you what is the best solution.
comthre3
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 6-6-2008 at 07:07 AM

perfect, thanks bro

abusin
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ya Fuadi La Tasal

[*] posted on 6-7-2008 at 04:34 AM

Hi comthre3,

this is my Slmeen after a recent neck reset, done by a local guitar maker who installed a stiff carbon rod along the neck and a new fingerboard and man what a transformation..
the action was so high you could run a thick pen through it, now its very low and comfortable to play.

Lucky you've got Samir here whom I witnessed his last project on this forum, best of luck

Awad

Before
comthre3
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 6-7-2008 at 08:57 AM

Thank you for your comment Abusin, what kind of fingerboard did u install? Yeah I cant wait to get this oud fixed, its my only one here in montreal!, back home i've got my real collection, well not real collection, but a collection :P (a crappy one for that matter, except for the fadhel)

can you post a picture of the fingerboard and the newly restored neck? I think I have the model after that one, ill post some pictures of my oud later on,, probably after the Turkey/Portugal game, GO TURKEY!

Edit, Pictures of the oud as promised, and yes, i had it painted black after an accident a few years back!

Regars

Ahmed.

nouphar
Oud Maniac

Mood: No mood

[*] posted on 6-7-2008 at 05:15 PM

Hey Ahmed, I'm thankful to read this topic, since I've got the SAME problem you have. My oud is turkish, it sounds great, but with the passing of months it has become UNPLAYABLE. The solution for Abusin's oud is simply fantastic in my opinion, I think ouds should have a truss rod inside, just like guitars have...

I think that a good solution for my oud would be to put an ebony fingerboard on the previous one; another approach is to have it fixed at the neckjoint.

And finally I'm most impressed to read that this problem can happen to any oud...

In my case the fixment must cost more than the price I paid for my oud.

Regards.

nouphar
Oud Maniac

Mood: No mood

[*] posted on 6-7-2008 at 05:26 PM

By the way, which is the lightest string set for turkish ouds?

comthre3
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 6-7-2008 at 06:06 PM

I don't know right now I'm using labella I think. if i remember correctly tomastic makes light sets dont know if theyre the lightest tho

thank yiu for yiur post. Out of curiousity how much did the fix cost u?

Regards

Go To Top