Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fixed vs. Floating Bridge
Tkoind
Oud Maniac

Mood: dreaming

[*] posted on 6-4-2008 at 09:36 PM
Fixed vs. Floating Bridge

Tiny Player, Fixed vs. Floating and To Oud or not to Oud

I love the sound of the Oud. And so do my band mates. Again and again we come back to the notion that having one in the band would add a new dimension.

For me, I'm spending my music energy on Setar and soon Saz when my Haluk made new friend arrives, which maybe rules me out for now. But my band mate is a Shamisen
player with a strong sense for fretless instruments and an equal love of the Oud sound. She's interested but has found every Oud she's held to be massive compared to her tiny frame and small hands. Otherwise she would be eager to give it a try. So I thought I'd post a couple related questions for her.

1. Are there good sounding (deep, warm, passionate toned) ouds out there that are small enough for a petite shamisen player with small hands to play?

2. Every instrument we play now has a floating bridge. We've seen both on Ouds. Is there a difference in sound when using one or the other?

3. What is a good starter instrument for someone who is likely to play well soon? So not a beginner instrument, but instead one that can go from starting to stage and be a good investment for the first two or three years of playing?

RainInEden
Silk Road Inspired Music Project
Tokyo, Japan
http://www.rainineden.com
cjmichael
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-5-2008 at 08:32 PM

Hey Tkoind,

I'm really just a novice, but here's my $0.02

>1. Are there good sounding (deep, warm, passionate toned)
> ouds out there that are small enough for
> a petite shamisen player with small hands to play?

Certainly some oud styles are sized differently than others, depending on the maker and region. To a "petite shamisen player with small hands", surely it would be a different ball game to what he/she is used to playing, but nothing he/she can't handle. I have a friend with very small hands who plays an Iraqi oud (he also cannot spread his fingers out at all). Though he uses his fingers differently than I do, he is just as capable. I'm sure you've seen very petite women in bands play those huge electric bases that seem taller than they are, and usually they dominate the instrument just as well as any seven footer with huge hands. :D

>2. Every instrument we play now has a floating bridge. We've
>seen both on Ouds. Is there a difference in sound when using
>one or the other?

Usually in floating bridge ouds you get better mid-to-high frequency tones, but even that depends on the maker and construction. I have a floating made by Haider Naj'm from Baghdad and it just sings majestically when I play lower notes. There is generally a consensus on fixed bridge vs. floating bridge; but again, it really all comes right down to the individual oud itself.

>3. What is a good starter instrument for someone who is likely to play well
> soon? So not a beginner instrument, but instead one that can go from
> starting to stage and be a good investment for the first two or three
> years of playing?

If you are likely to play well soon, I say shell out the money for a really nice oud from a good maker. Especially if you plan to hit the studio with your instrument. And when you have found it, really get to know the seller. Ask him to play the oud you're interested in. Get him to take tons of pictures of it, list all of its faults if any, and give you full details of the maker and date. Good sellers will understand and won't be annoyed by this, and you will know as much as you can about what you are buying. You can find a really great low-end professional instrument for around 1000, and that's well worth it.

Go To Top