Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Does anyone tune like this?
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: chords prefer frets

[*] posted on 6-13-2008 at 09:23 AM
Does anyone tune like this?

Hi, Ive been experimenting with tuning as I like the high f but also the low C or D. I know some say the only way around this is to buy a seven course oud, I agree , but I like 6 courses. Therefore I am currently trying the following:

Low to high: C or D, A, d, g, c, f

Enjoying it so far, not missing the F or G bass string yet, time will tell if I stick with it. Am curious to know if others have tried it. Regards, C
JT
Unregistered

[*] posted on 6-13-2008 at 02:04 PM

Hello Charlie,

Used to tune like that when I played a 6th course oud (I play 7 course nox, I know I just had to have it all:)

On a - course, I alternated the bass string, between F, D, Eb, Eb1/4, G depending on what maqam you decide to use. I like the D tuning when playing Nahawand on D, or Hijaz. You can harmonise by hitting the low D, and an F or F# on the upper D string. Its also great for pivoting on the bass string or adding accents.
Also it is also cool to practice call and response passages between low D and higher D. Theres alot of possiblities.

All the best with it, but my advice is tune the Bass to whatever suits the scale, I never really have it fixed, doesnt mean its right ofcourse, you can tell me to shut up:)

Rock on!

JT:buttrock:
nouphar
Oud Maniac

Mood: No mood

[*] posted on 6-14-2008 at 04:17 AM

For North African 6 string banjo tuning, DADGCF is used (downtuning low E to D and uptuning high B to C and high E to F). I think it should be no strange tuning for an oud.

patheslip
Oud Junkie

Mood: smooth

[*] posted on 6-15-2008 at 03:41 AM

How do you guys cope with different tunings?
As a long time fiddle player I'm finding it hard enough on the oud with equal steps between each course.
Is it just lots and lots of practice, are there any 'techniques', or is it because you're all better musicians?
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-15-2008 at 04:33 AM

An interesting solution to keep the high F with the low Do is also the tuning of Naseer Shamma
As follow: low to high Fa Do Re Sol Do Fa
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: chords prefer frets

[*] posted on 6-16-2008 at 10:22 AM

Thanks for the response, Hey JT your reply is valued, would'nt dream of telling you to shut up. I have been changing the tuning of the low single course according to maqam as you say. I think this is the way for me also.

Go To Top