Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Jameel's home ...
carpenter
Oud Junkie

Mood: brimming with hope

[*] posted on 6-13-2008 at 12:01 PM
Jameel's home ...

... Cedar Rapids, Iowa (where I used to live), is seriously flooding, much of it is under water. Evidently he's not close to the still-rising Cedar River, but it couldn't hurt to send whatever prayers and good thoughts you have his way.

You never know, it might help somehow.
carpenter
Oud Junkie

Mood: brimming with hope

[*] posted on 6-13-2008 at 02:31 PM

I meant to say "his home town." Sorry.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 6-13-2008 at 04:09 PM

I sure pray that you and your family are fine Jameel.
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 6-13-2008 at 05:34 PM

Spoke to him yesterday, and he did have to evacuate. The good news is I just got an email from him a few minutes ago, and luckily his home is safe. Keep him and his family in you thoughts and prayers.

Peyman
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mahoor

[*] posted on 6-13-2008 at 06:57 PM

I hope everything is sound and safe with him and his family as well.
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-13-2008 at 07:23 PM

You guys have touched me with your thoughts. Thank you. Please remember Cedar Rapids and the rest of flooded Iowa in your thoughts and prayers.

Here's a few interesting facts about the flood so far. Forum member Mavrothis was here in Cedar Rapids a couple years ago, and the venue where he performed is now under several feet of water. We had a similar flood in 1993 which broke previous records. This one was forecast to crest at 24 feet, over 4 feet above the level in 1993. Instead it crested today at 31 feet, a full 13 feet over the previous flood. For reference, the Cedar normally floods at 12 feet. So the river is a full 19 feet above a normal flood! A railroad bridge downtown was totally destroyed by the river, taking the 20+ rock-filled hopper cars down with it. The entire city (pop. 130,000) is down to one water pump, and we've been asked to conserve water, using it only for drinking. Local restaurants are serving food on paper plates and utensils to eliminate dish washing, and only serving bottles of water. FEMA is already here with assistance like tanker trucks of water and MRE packets, although there is plenty of food here. I guess they are being cautious. The disaster here is not limited to Cedar Rapids. Every town along the river is being hit with the same flood. For example, the next town north of Cedar Rapids, Vinton, has been without power or water for three days. A small town near Cedar Rapids is completely evacuated and has been locked down by the military. Nobody gets in. Most major roads are closed. Several bridges are completely gone. One of two of our hospitals is evacuated and closed. Yet I sit here in my home and write this message. An eerie feeling, no doubt. The good news is, the water is going down (at least in Cedar Rapids) but slowly. It will take at least a week before the water recedes to typical flood levels.

Take a look at the following picture. This is Mays Island in downtown Cedar Rapids. These are two major government buildings. Now watch the video on this page and you can hear the commentator mention Mays Island about 1/3 the way through, as you see them fly over the left side of Mays island. Note that there are no bridges visible, only a little ripple in the water where the bridge railings are. Incredible.

amtaha
Oud Junkie

Mood: beginner's frustration ...

[*] posted on 6-13-2008 at 08:34 PM

My prayers are with you, your family, and all the people in the flooded areas.

May this pass, and soon.

Hamid
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-14-2008 at 07:41 AM

We have been following the disaster as reported in the news here in the North. Hopefully you and your family will now have avoided the immediate danger of further flooding as well as the resulting sad loss and deprivation experienced by so many of the citizens of the affected areas. Bad situation for all.
Good luck to you and everybody in your neighbourhood.
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-14-2008 at 11:28 AM

Thanks Hamid and John. I appreciate your sentiments. The water has gone down considerably in the last day. The city however has only 3-4 days of drinking water left at current, restricted usage. After that, I don't know what will happen. I guess they truck in water or something. It could be much worse. So far I've only heard of one death in the entire state related to the flooding. That's amazing. Here's an aerial view of the damage just in the downtown Cedar Rapids area. The flooding extends to encompass hundreds of blocks beyond this.

marmarzamani
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 6-14-2008 at 03:42 PM

Jameel

The juxtaposition of these photos is absolutely surreal and devastating. May you, your loved ones and all Iowans affected in any way be safe, comforted and emerge unscathed from this terrible catastrophe. Amen.

Bill Abraham
Sidi
Oud Maniac

Mood: Very Sad...

[*] posted on 6-14-2008 at 05:52 PM

Dear Jameel

This is saddening news indeed. I'm typing this at 2:30am...someone just told me about the floods. I pray to the almighty for your safety, your family's, and the well being of everyone affected. I've "flown" over Cedar Rapids on Google Earth once, and it seemed like a very pretty place. I hope your lovely hometown recovers real soon. Our thoughts will remain with you as this crisis resolves. Please keep your posts coming; I'm sure we're all keen on seeing you through these difficult times.

BTW, Mike how are you folks faring with those fires in California?

-SidiM
Melbourne
Oud Junkie

Mood: راحة الأرواح

[*] posted on 6-14-2008 at 08:46 PM

Good to hear you your family and your home are safe Jameel. Its amazing theres only been one fatalty...Some amazing contrasts in those pics with the three smaller bridges - you can see them beginning to surface in the image above, but there was no sign of them in the news video yesterday.
JT
Unregistered

[*] posted on 6-15-2008 at 03:16 AM

Prayers are with you Oustaz Jameel...

JT
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 6-15-2008 at 11:50 AM

Wow, Jameel, I hadn't heard anything about this . . . I'm glad you hear you and your family are safe and sound. Still it's terrible for all the people who were flooded out.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
arsene
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-15-2008 at 12:11 PM

wow just seeing those two pictures ... we dont hear about this stuff in holland... glad to hear you and your home are safe - i hope the ouds are as well :)
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-15-2008 at 12:45 PM

Thanks for all your sentiments everyone. Things are looking up today. The water situation has improved, we can now use water every other day. So that's making things easier. It actually rained pretty hard this morning around 4:30 and I took a shower under my roof's downspout! Well, I had my swim trunks on, so I didnt shock the neighboors. :D

Brian, the venue where you performed with Simon in Iowa City is completely flooded. :(

journeyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-15-2008 at 03:15 PM

Hi Jameel. I hope it the flooding is over soon and you can get back to normal. I feel bad for everyone in your area. I've never had to experience any kind of natural disaster, but at the rate they are occurring all over the world I suspect it is just a matter of time.

All the best,
Roy
George29
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 6-15-2008 at 08:06 PM

Hi Jameel,

I'm glad to hear that things are somewhat improving. But showering in rain water, now thats gotta be cold :(

In any case, my best wishes for you and your family!!
abusin
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ya Fuadi La Tasal

[*] posted on 6-16-2008 at 04:25 AM

Hi Jameelo,

My prayers are with you and your family, Thanks to God Almighty things are looking good ...
wishing you all the best buddy,

Awad
Raabiah
Oud Maniac

Mood: lost in a world of oudism

[*] posted on 6-18-2008 at 08:53 AM

Hey Jameel,

Wow, I was'nt aware how devastating the floodings actually were Jameel. i'm so sorry :( i really hope all your family and loved ones are safe ins. i'm very glad to hear your home is also safe through this tragic process. take great care of yourself and your family and may the floodings disperse quickly.

Raabiah
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger

Go To Top