Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: On Kurdish Music
Sherko Dakouri
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

info.gif posted on 6-17-2008 at 03:51 PM
On Kurdish Music

Greetings for every member in this fantastic forum! This is my first post here, and thus, I’ll try to make some general comments on Kurdish music as well as introduce myself as a new member.

Let me make it clear from the beginning. I’m not a kind of ultra-nationalist who hates others and wants to extol his own culture at their expense.. I love all cultures in this world, and I naturally have a special affection for those of my region, the Middle East. Anyway, it’s really a painful fact for me that Kurdish music – and specifically Kurdish classical music – was and is still quite ignored or even disdained by some. The standard classification of the classical traditions of the Middle East states that there are three main traditions: The Arabic, The Ottoman (Turkish), and the Persian. Of course these are great traditions, and I have the deepest love and respect for them, but I think that it’s unfair to ignore Kurdish classical music, which is a rich and beautiful tradition. This ignorance is surely partially caused by the political weakness of the scattered Kurdish nation, but I think there is a lot that can be done despite that.

Yes! A ”classical” tradition does exist in Kurdish music. It’s not quite as sophisticated as the other three traditions, but we must not forget that simplicity doesn’t necessarily mean superficiality. Kurdish music has a also a rich history. The Hurrians (the ancient inhabitants of Kurdistan who are considered by many historians as the anscestors of present-day Kurds) invented the first musical noteation system in history (written in maqam Kurd! View the excavation project’s site on: http://128.97.6.202/urkeshpublic/music.htm), and Zeryab, Ibrahim and Ishaq al-Mawsili, and al-Urmawi were Kurds (Izady 1992). They have certainly influenced the other musical traditions in the region, and have certainly been influenced by them. It has also been among the main influences on the Azerbaijani Mugham (Shiloah 1995)

Kurdish classical music is not the music of any courts, rather, it’s the music of night gatherings and the guesthouses of the aghas. The bulk of this music consists of vocal improvisations called ”kilam” that have many forms an may extend from 4 – 5 minutes to several hours. These kilam are narrative accounts of certain events, and can be about love, war or courage etc.. They are more spontaneous and not as refined as Arab, Turkish or Persian classical musics (although many musicians perform it in a more refined way nowadays), but still there is a great depth and emotion in them.

As for the oud, there is so far no Kurdish school of playing the oud, but there is a very distinct Kurdish style of improvisation (both instrumental and vocal) which can readily be played on the oud. What distinguishes the Kurdish teqsim from those of the neighbouring traditions is there characteristic motives, specific tone levels and general structure. Regrettably, there aren’t any CDs of Kurdish teqsim widely available, and establishing a Kurdish method of playing the oud is what I’m trying to do now. I know that I have a long way in front of me. An album of my own improvisations will hopefully appear in 5 – 6 months where I try try to concentrate on both tradition and innovation.

Until rather recently, I primarily played the tembur and classical guitar, although I have played the oud quite a lot in the past. The transition to playing the oud wasn’t that difficult as I already had strong and quick fingers and knew a good deal about maqams, rhythms, forms, and improvisatory techniques. But first and foremost, I had that Oriental-Kurdish soul fostered in me since my childhood. I immensely enjoy learning the characteristic movements, techniques and motives of Arab and Turkish oud improvisations as I continue to research and classify the Kurdish ones.

I wish that members of this forum and all world music lovers spent some more time on investigating the beauty of Kurdish music (be it classical or folk) and appreciating it. Hope to see you again soon!
DaveH
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-18-2008 at 04:01 AM

Overlooked indeed, Sherko. I personally only know about Kurdish music through its influence on the arabic an persian traditions. Iranians I know are particularly reverent towards the Kurdish tradition. I love the sound of the tanbur and have the impression that much of the development of the iranian repertory for that instrument came from Kurdistan, though again I don't think I've directly heard kurdish music played on it. The recordings of the late, great Ostad Elahi are some of the most jealously guarded in my music collection. I'm sure all of us would be thrilled if you could post some of your own recordings - by way of introduction, let's say ;).

Welcome to the forums (fora?) and I really look forward to hearing regularly of your progress in developing a kurdish oud style.
Sherko Dakouri
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 6-18-2008 at 04:41 AM

Thanks a lot DaveH!

I'll be very happy to post some of my recordings specially made for this forum, and I'll do this as soon as I can. The problem is that the second string of my new oud buzzes terribly. It's a very good oud otherwise, but I think the neck is warped, and I'll have to fix it in Syria when I go there in 2 weeks. Anyway, as soon as it's fixed, I promise to post some teqasim. Ostad Elahi was great indeed. It's a painful fact that the majority of the Kurds haven't even heared about him.

On the other hand, I can give you (and the other members) some recommendation of Kurdish classical music. A very good album To begin with is "Memê Alan" by Miço Kendes (go to http://www.m-kendes.ch/page_artist.html). Another very good album is "Kurdish Ballads" by Nizamettin Ariç.

As I can see you are an Iranian. Man, your music is a fantastic treasure (I have a big collection of it.) Do everything you can to preserve it! Best regards.
DaveH
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-18-2008 at 11:01 AM

Hi Sherko, no I'm not Iranian. I just know good music when I hear it. Would love to hear some of your tambur! Thanks for the recommendations by the way. Very nice.

D
eliot
Oud Junkie

Mood: Aksak

[*] posted on 6-19-2008 at 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sherko Dakouri
On the other hand, I can give you (and the other members) some recommendation of Kurdish classical music. A very good album To begin with is "Memê Alan" by Miço Kendes (go to http://www.m-kendes.ch/page_artist.html). Another very good album is "Kurdish Ballads" by Nizamettin Ariç.

As I can see you are an Iranian. Man, your music is a fantastic treasure (I have a big collection of it.) Do everything you can to preserve it! Best regards.

I'd add Nizamettin Ariç's Daye to that short list as well... and Ali Akbar Mouradi's new cd The Companion.

There's a lot of oud used in Diyarbakir - more in newly composed folk music and Kurdish popular musics than in dengbej repertoires or other Kurdish traditional things. Not so many recordings of the same, however.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
on soundcloud
on myspace
my homepage
Sherko Dakouri
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 6-19-2008 at 01:01 PM

Hello Eliot!

Well, "Daye" is not Ariç's best album. "Kurdish Ballads" contains more Kurdish classical music. And yes, the oud is used by some Kurds, but it's not used for more than playing some simple songs. No lengthy teqasim and no distinct style. Regards.
Christian1095
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-20-2008 at 10:20 AM

Sherko,

I haven't actually ever heard any Kurdish Oud music (which shouldn't be too surprizing since I've only been playing a short time...) Are there any sources online where I could download....

Chris Walters
Sherko Dakouri
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 6-20-2008 at 10:50 AM

Hello Christian1095!

No online sources exist and neither is there any worthwhile Kurdish oud playing so far. There are some players who imitate the Arabic or Turkish styles, but they don't play any authentic Kurdish music. For Kurdish teqasim, you have to hear Se'id Yusif or Hesen Naze, whose cassets are regretably impossible to find outside Syria. Regards.
Tkoind
Oud Maniac

Mood: dreaming

[*] posted on 6-23-2008 at 06:28 PM

Dear Sherko Dakouri,

I love what I have managed to hear of Kurdish music! I would love to learn more. If anyone can recommend some traditional Kurdish music from any of the Kurdish regions, please let me know. We'd also love to find lyrics and translations of traditional songs.

RainInEden
Silk Road Inspired Music Project
Tokyo, Japan
http://www.rainineden.com

Go To Top