Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Shehata & Ghadban
francis
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-26-2008 at 04:44 AM
Shehata & Ghadban

Hello.
I'd like to ask a few questions to Matthew; I'm sure other users of this forum have tasteful opinions and answers, I'll be happy to read them.....
What are the main différences between a Maurice Shehata model ( like the one made for Matthew.....which new owner is Gilgamesh... ) and the Sada'ar -rouah from Nazih Ghadban?
About the sound , of course, but also about the touch and feeling when playing.
I know the "Shehata sound" , I recently heard three or four sound examples here in this forum and elsewhere; I don't know nothing concerning the Ghadban model....
These questions are now in the lump, I hope it's possible to refine them....
Waiting for a stairway to my knowledge.....!
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 6-27-2008 at 01:55 PM

hello Francis,
I don't know how to answer this question my friend. Both Maurice Shehata and Nazih Ghadban make excellent ouds. Many members in the forum own one of their ouds, and no doubt find that oud good for their own particular style or sound they are after. Perhaps you can listen to some sound clips of Nazih's ouds on his website which might help you hear any differences.
To answer a specific question, the Sada el Rouh which Nazih makes is a 7 course model. My Shehata was a 6 course oud, and I decided I would like to have a 7 course oud for my own musical style and the way I wanted to express myself through the oud. Though a bit sad to part with my Shehata ( I couldn't afford to keep it and also buy another) I was happy that it went to Gilgamesh, an oud player in France and who also became a close friend via emails and other correspondance from the sale of the oud. (Bon Jour mon ami Gilgamesh if you are reading this!:) )
I have been 100% happy with the Sada el Rouh, it is a magical instrument and I would love to hear this instrument being played in the hands of someone like Simon Shaheen or Abadi el Johar ( who owns a Shehata). Listen to sound clips of both these great makers ouds, and also bear in mind that things like the bracing, different types woods used in construction, size and shape will add particular flavours to the sound. best wishes, Matthew
francis
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-27-2008 at 04:39 PM

Bonjour Matthew.
Thanks for your answer...here I find some fine indications about the questions that are mine. Today , I saw the Sada el rouch ( Corridorio's one ) in the subject : pictures of your ouds; it seems to be a fabulous instrument, also with his special double range of keys....
I'll listen to the sound clips you speak about...
Merci encore Matthew;
best wishes for you
Francis
funkstone
Oud Admirer

Mood: hijaz kar

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 07:46 AM

Mathew I think the 7 course would suit me as well.

Can I ask what you paid for yours, and if you considered any other models or makers for a 7?

thanks
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 7-4-2008 at 03:27 AM

hey FunkyStone I did consider other makers for a 7 course oud but went with Nazih for various reasons.
I think this forum isn't the best place to start openly quoting what one paid for an oud that is only one year old, but if you email Nazih he'll give you some quotes.
One spec I would mention to anyone considering buying a 7 course oud is to think about the width of the fingerboard at the nut. Anything less than 40mm, in my humble opinion, might be too cramped for 7 courses/13 strings, but this is an entirely individual preferance. I asked Nazih to made my Sada El Rouh with a 43mm nut which works and feels just right.
Best wishes, Matthew :)

Go To Top