Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: fixing a string
twinwillows
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-26-2004 at 01:29 PM
fixing a string

I JUST GOT MY FIRST OUD! I AM SO EXCITED ! BUT, ONE OF THE STRINGS IS REALLY LOOSE AND WHEN I TRY TO TIGHTEN IT, THE TUNING KEY TURNS RIGHT BACK. DO YOU GUYS HAVE ANY IDEAS ON WHAT TO DO? THANKS.
david
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ouderific

[*] posted on 4-26-2004 at 01:57 PM

Try some peg dope and push down on the peg so its nice and tight inside the hole. Then tighten the string alittle, apply some more pressure on the peg and continue untill you tuned it.:)
Hope this helps
TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving the Oud

[*] posted on 4-26-2004 at 02:28 PM

Actually, it may simply be the result of having a new oud. I had an oud in the closet for 18 years, and when I got it out and tried to tune it, it slipped back for weeks. It's very discouraging to see that happen, but just stick with it. If it doesn't get better after a few weeks, then I suggest going with david's suggestion of using peg dope, but don't jump to any conclusions just yet. Like I said, it's just because you have a new oud (and this, subsequently, will happen when you change strings).

TP21

Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 4-26-2004 at 04:33 PM
Peg dope or a bad peg/hole

You are lucky if it is only one string and it may just be like others suggested, just needs pushed in. Peg dope can be obtained from music stores and it is commonly used by violin players or you can use regular wax by rubing a candle against the peg. I even heard of people using crayons. All of this helps with a sticky hard to turn pegs which may not be the problem here.

My first and only oud is one of those low quality learner models. None of the strings would stay in tune and every peg had the same problem you described. The reason for this is poor workmanship. The pegs didn't have a uniform taper. And the holes were poorly made, the were kind of oval instead of round. The solution was for me to re-ream the holes with a Cello reamer and make my own pegs and tapered them with a peg shaper. Now the oud sounds much better since it is easy to tune and stays in tune.

In your case, you can look closer at how the peg fits in the hole. Does it fit perefctly or do you see gaps between peg and hole? pull the peg out and inspect it along with the hole. Also if you see spots that are shiney and others that aren't in the region where the peg contacts the hole, then that is an indication of a poor fitting peg.

I assume some music shops can reream and reshape the hole and peg for you if you do not have the tools or don't want to mess with it (the reamer and shaper sell for around $80.)

A NOTE OF CAUTION: Make sure you mark which peg belongs to which hole before removing them. Sometimes these pegs are individually fitted.

I hope this helps.
spyrosc
Oud Junkie

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 4-27-2004 at 11:05 AM
Slipping pegs

Dear twinwillows,

You might just get by, by using an ordinary piece of chalk and marking the spot on your pegs where the slippage occurs. You can see it because it will be shiny. Chalk will add friction.

Also check this forum for more detail advice by Dr. Oud and others in the past, as this is a very common problem, and we all had it at some point. Search for "slipping pegs".

Good luck
Spyros C.
TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-27-2004 at 01:59 PM

I'm happy to make my first reference to Zul's site. This month, his FAQ concerns this topic. The link to that part of the site is:

http://zulkarnainyusof.com/oud-faq.html

TP21

Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-27-2004 at 07:50 PM

Thanks TP21 :bowdown: :bowdown:

Regards
**Dont forget Afif Taian new video treat ok!
TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-27-2004 at 08:07 PM

No problem. I love the design of the site, as well. Incredibly professional. I'm definitely looking forward for the updates. I didn't know you studied with M. Mukhtar. Lucky guy!

TP21

Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-28-2004 at 05:38 AM

TP :bowdown:

Thanks again buddy! I decided to give the FAQ page a bit of a boost by publish at least more than one Oud FAQ at a time! Hope this will help our new Oud member here at this great Forum (thanks to Mike!!) to start learning all about the Oud! (not to mention our senior staff here to refresh their knowledge about this great instrument!)

Salam
**Not as lucky as being infront of Afif Taian watching him rockin the Oud LIVE!!
twinwillows
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 5-5-2004 at 04:38 PM

SHOULD I TAKE THE STRING OFF THE PEG AND APPLY IT TO THE WHOLE PEG OR JUST SLIDE IT OUT PART WAY AND APPLY? I'M GLAD THERE IS A SOLUTION.THANKS.

Go To Top