Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: owning multiple ouds with different scale lengths????
funkstone
Oud Admirer

Mood: hijaz kar

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 07:44 AM
owning multiple ouds with different scale lengths????

Here is a question for those of you who have and play more than one oud.

When you have more than one, do you try to get them all in the same scale length?

If not how do you play with correct intonation when moving from one to the other?

Does practice on a 58.5cm scale length make it difficult to play in tune on a 61.5 and vice versa?

I recently got an electric oud with 62.5 and I am finding it a bit of an adjustment to my turkish (tuned arabic) with 58.5cm.

Also looking at getting a new acoustic arabic one with 61.5 cm

As I gain an greater appreciation for the oud I can see myself having a few as the years go on (though not as many as mike, samir or some others)

Is this going to be very confusing or is it nothing that a bit of practice and some warming up with scales cant handle.

Does anybody have a main oud, and a back up oud with different scale lengths. how do you keep that intonation straight in your head?

How much does scale length contribute to the sound? is it more a play/feel thing?

thanks
Sazi
Oud Junkie

Mood: مبتهج ; ))

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 05:25 PM

Hi, I know a few players on this forum seem to be able to jump from one size to another with no problem, but personally, I find it a real trip, my first oud was 61 cm, way too long, next came 57cm, perfect, for a while I was changing to Turkish 58.5 for a few tunes with different tuning, the tuning doesn't bother me but the length does, I have short fingers and find I'd rather stick to 57, as the notes just seem to fall under my fingers, but it does limit my choices when it comes to choosing an instrument.

http://www.youtube.com/Sazi369

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

Go To Top