Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New Musical Scores Page
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

info.gif posted on 4-26-2004 at 05:54 PM
New Musical Scores Page

Hey everybody,

I just wanted to let you all know that there is a new section on the site for people to share their Musical Scores (thanks to Spyrosc for the suggestion). There is also an album there to upload images of your ouds as well. But let me just mention that I think we should all send David Parfitt pictures of our ouds for his awesome Oud Gallery Page. The main focus of the musical scores page is really for musical scores.

Take care,
Mike

Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-26-2004 at 06:13 PM

:bowdown:
spyrosc
Oud Junkie

Mood: Grateful

thumbup.gif posted on 4-26-2004 at 06:38 PM
New page

Mike,

You've outdone yourself again, man !

Thanks for being so responsive !

I know I'm going to get a lot of benefit from it.

Shukran ya akhi, ou mabrouk

Spyros C.
TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving the Oud

[*] posted on 4-27-2004 at 07:28 AM

Mike, what an awesome page! Hopefully this weekend, I can get a few files up. (If you like, you can move the sheet music from the Longa Sabbough post from there to it's respective folder on the new page).

Again, awesome job, man.

TP21

Mike
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 4-27-2004 at 08:51 AM

Thanks to all of you guys for your activity, suggestions, and support! I really appreciate it.

Hey TP...I will probably not go through the forums to find the various sheet music that has been posted here. So, I think it might be better to just go ahead and put it up in the appropriate album on the other page. I am about due for a forum maintenance thingie again, so don't worry if it is in two places. But I'll wait until some of the scores are up already before doing the maintenance. Looking forward to seeing your additions, as well as others, to that page. (BTW...did you get that email about capture cards? Let me know if you need anymore help.)

Zul...right back at you bro! :bowdown:

Take care,
Mike

Mike
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 4-27-2004 at 08:55 AM

One more thing. I am aware of a few bugs in that page, and am trying to get them fixed. So if anybody has problems registering or uploading images, please don't hesitate to email me and let me know about them. Zul...I got your registration email instead of you. For some reason the one you used got bounced back. I went ahead and activated your registration for you. You should be able to login now and upload stuff. Thanks to Lee and David for pointing out some glitches too.

Mike

Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-27-2004 at 09:04 AM

Great stuff Mike!!

Zul
TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-27-2004 at 09:22 AM

Hey Mike. I got the e-mail and I went to go check it out... $150... wow... I thought it was gonna go for like.. $70-80, I didn't know it was gonna wipe me clean. Do you know what I should be looking for in particular when I go check em out? Like... if you buy a camera, they tell you to get a certain amount of pixels if you want it to be good and clean. Any analogous comparison with these cards?

TP21

Mike
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 4-27-2004 at 10:24 AM

Hey TP,

Look at the dazzle products. I have heard good things about them. My buddy, who is into videography, told me about them recently. They have one for under a hundred, and it comes with a very easy-to-use video editing software program too called Pinnacle Studio (or something like that).

Good luck,
Mike

TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-27-2004 at 11:18 AM

Mike, is yours hooked up by firewire or by USB? If it's USB, it's much much easier to do everything that I'm looking to do.

TP21

Mike
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 4-27-2004 at 01:30 PM

I can do it either way. Look at the Dazzle 80. I think it allows for either way too.

Mike

TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-27-2004 at 01:33 PM

And you've tried both ways? My only reason for asking is that I've heard that doing it through USB gives you broken frames and such. Is that true?

TP21

Mike
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 4-27-2004 at 03:10 PM

Broken frames depends on how many frames per second you encode your video. If you make a video with 15fps then you will obviously lose frames, but if you go with 30fps you wil end up losing just a few during the encoding. You will have a much larger file though. Don't worry about making the videos 15fps, because if you didn't pan out and in a bunch of times (and quickly) while recording him playing, then it won't make a difference.

TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-27-2004 at 03:17 PM

Awesome, Mike. Thanks for all the advice man. Ladies and gentlemen, our source for all kinds of info.... :applause:

TP21

Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-27-2004 at 04:16 PM

:applause:
TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-27-2004 at 06:59 PM

I just wanted to bring to everyone's attention that Mav posted quite a number of sheet music on the new page. Nice job, Mav! Now all I have to do is learn to read... :cool:

TP21

Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-27-2004 at 07:40 PM

Nice Job Mav :bowdown:

Salam
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 4-27-2004 at 09:07 PM

My pleasure guys, just wanted to give the page a start. Sorry that these scores are not in the common Arabic keys, but Ottoman. It's no big deal to transpose them though if you like them. :)

Thanks again to Mike for such a cool page.

Enjoy! :airguitar:

mav

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
journeyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-28-2004 at 05:15 AM

Thanks so much Mav for posting the scores. For the Arabic keys should I transpose down a whole tone? This is really wonderful, thanks also to Mike for making this available.

Metta,
Roy
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-28-2004 at 05:30 AM

Hi there. Really, regardless of whether the source is Ottoman or Arabic, we are free to play these pieces in any key we wish.

The most typical for Ottoman is to transpose down a fourth. Arabic scores are usually written in D or C, but have the same freedom in choice of concert pitch.

Let me know if you have any problems.

:)

mav

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 4-28-2004 at 09:54 AM

Mav's right, of course--you can play the pieces in whatever key you like. Usually the "standard" Arabic key is down a whole step from the Turkish key, but since tuning isn't absolute, either, it can be down a third, or whatever, depending on the tuning. But if your oud is tuned CGADGC, then it's down a whole step from the Turkish tuning. But since the Turkish tuning is up a fourth from the Turkish concert pitch, then Turkish sheet music is up a FIFTH from Arabic concert pitch.
written "c" = turkish "G", Arabic "F", either way, it's the third finger on the third string.
The other thing about reading turkish sheet music is that the differences between Turkish and Arabic versions often extend beyond just the transposition. Usually the difference is mainly in the use of accidentals.
Here are some of my observations from studying Arabic vs. Turkish performances of the same piece:
Turkish "backwards" flat = Arabic half-flat.
Turkish "slashed" flat = Arabic flat, this usually shows up in a Hijaz jins. If it's not in Hijaz, there might be a different interpretation, possibly a half-flat.
Turkish natural = Arabic natural, except when leading into a Rast jins, where it's usually played half-flat
Turkish sharp = a lot of variability here, because it's used differently in different Turkish music. If it's in a Rast or Bayyati context, it is usually a half-sharp. If it's in a Hijaz, Nahawand, Nawa Athar, or Ajam context, it's usually a regular sharp.
Turkish flat = Arabic flat.

However, some tunes (like Tatyos Sama'i Hijaz Kar Kurd) have been partially re-composed for the Arabic version and differ substantially from the way Turkish musicians play them. Of course you can also play the Turkish version in an Arabic key . . . there are a lot of possibilities. I think Iraqi musicians sometimes play them up a fourth from the usual Arabic tuning, making them a whole step below the Turkish written music . . .
TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-28-2004 at 10:00 AM

Brian, you made mention of the Samai Tatyos. I don't have many recordings at this point, and you mentioned that the Turkish differs substantially from the Arabic. Do you have sound clips that we can hear?

TP21

mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-28-2004 at 01:16 PM

yeah, there are many possibilities, and the accidentals really aren't equal for Ottoman and Arabic style playing. just like Brian said though, you can consider the backwards flat as a slashed flat if you play arabic style oud, even though they're not played the same by an Ottoman style player.

just let me know if anyone needs help.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 4-28-2004 at 08:48 PM

I meant the Rast Samai, sorry. The Hijaz Kar Kurd Samai isn't much different from the Turkish version.

Here's the Rast Samai:

Arabic version-Simon Shaheen
Turkish version-Kudsi Erguner

The Third Khana (Hane) is substantially different in the two versions, where the Arabic modulates to Hijaz on G, the Turkish modulates to Bayyati. There are some other, more subtle changes as well. Simon's version is consistent with other Arabic versions i've heard, and Erguner's is similar to published Turkish sheet music.

And I support what Mav said, about the fact that the microtones are not played the same by an Ottoman style player and an Arabic player . . . if you want to play Turkish style, the Turkish accidentals are important for the style. What I was meaning to say was that when the pieces are re-interpreted in an Arabic style, the accidentals usually change to reflect Arab practice . . .

Go To Top