Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Help for a beginner?
Reid
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-6-2008 at 12:37 PM
Help for a beginner?

Hey guys! I haven't posted on this forum for about a year now, but i recently began to practice my oud more, and I'm in dire need of some direction. I have a fairly strong musical background (I play bass, mandolin, ukulele, dulcimer, balalaika, and some guitar), but the oud as you all know is a very challenging instrument to learn. I just can't seem to find much help on the internet, and I live in South Carolina, and am probably the only oudist in the state. Do you guys know of any books or dvds that might help me out? I know basic technique, but am lost as far as semitones go. Oh and this forum has been really helpful to me already!
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 7-6-2008 at 01:47 PM

hey Reid, I'm sure there is a lot of untapped material laying about in these forums that you can get some mileage from, here's a recent posting which may be useful-
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=7792

I think there are some oud players in your part of the South; Georgia and Florida come to mind, maybe you guys can meet up sometime. keep the faith, MW :airguitar:
cjmichael
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-6-2008 at 02:42 PM

Though I'm from the South, it's a pretty long drive from South Carolina. Hey Reid, I just heard your short clip in the Member's Sound Clips board. I can tell you are an experienced musician on other instruments the way you jammed out, it sounded like an awesome bass line.

In my opinion, the best way to begin and get a feel for the Mid-East style is to start on this site! If you haven't already hit up the "Learn to Play" section on the home page, it's almost a must! Practice on Ajam and Nahawand first, that's how I started. I made them my best friends and after about almost a year of playing oud I exercise and practice using mostly those two scales. After the resources on this site seem too familiar, you can go to http://www.maqamworld.com and be overwhelmed. There's a lot of information there, approach it gradually.

Most importantly, listen to the music of the Mid-East. I think that there's almost a feeling one has to attain to play oud the way it's played conventionally, and the best way to understand it is to just listen. There are many resources on this site and on the internet to get you started and well on your way to understand that feeling.

As far as technique advice, I personally can't offer much help. I too am a lone oud player (only one in my city as far as I know) and haven't gotten face-to-face lessons with a pro. Most everything I know, I learned from reading these forums.

Keep it up,
Chris.
Reid
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 7-6-2008 at 07:50 PM

Thanks for the response chris, I'm not suprised that you can hear the bass influence in my playing. I know it's not a bad thing, but I really want to be able to play in the traditional form. I have been listening to some classical oud and am really enjoying it so far, I'm just a little stuck as to what I should practice. I only read bass clef at this point, so I guess I will work on reading treble so I can start working on the maqams.

I should also add that my oud is VERY cheap (I got it for about 150 on ebay), so I would love something a little more playable, but ouds are expensive! if anyone has a used intermediate oud, let me know.

Thanks again for the advice, I'm very impressed with the helpfulness of this forum:applause:
Christian1095
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-6-2008 at 10:16 PM

Hey Reid,

Looks like Oud is growing in the South! I'm in Charlotte, NC. Where are you at in SC?

I think cjmichael is right on about the resources on this site... there are some other cool links from the main page that have a lot on theory too... but this is pretty much it for online resources for Oud... Yeah Mike!

You can also check out Oud Tutor... It's sort of like Guitar Hero for Oud... It plays in midi format though, so it's sort of a chore to play along too... just do a google search -- it's free...

Also, check out Youtube... lots of foks here post stuff out there...
Here's two links that I've found really helpful...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi2vdPKnMKY
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=augT-0japCE

About the oud... I heard your clip in the other post... You might get a better sound with different strings.... worse case, you're out $20... Most folks in the states order from Khalaf Oud..... Really great turnaround... He sent me an extra set of strings as his town was being evacuated during a flood...

http://www.khalafoud.com/

Chris Walters
Christian1095
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-6-2008 at 10:17 PM

By the way... how did you get into the Oud?

Chris Walters
Reid
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 7-7-2008 at 05:37 AM

Ill be moving to Columbia in the fall for college. I had oudtutor on my old pc, but now that I have a mac it won't run :( New strings definitely sounds like a good idea. I actually have a set that came with my oud, they're labeled "3 pyramids". are these any good?

I'm not exactly sure how I got into the oud... that's the way it is with all my instruments; i just sort of pick them up. I heard one somewhere, fell in love with the sound, and decided to give it a try.
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 7-7-2008 at 06:24 AM

....I actually have a set that came with my oud, they're labeled "3 pyramids". are these any good?

better than "1 pyramid" ;)
Christian1095
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-7-2008 at 06:32 AM

I don't think they are as good as Pyramid (a german company - no numbers) or Aquilla (an Italian company) --- I'm sure with a search on the forum, you can find a ton of info on strings.

Chris Walters
Reid
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 7-7-2008 at 07:36 AM

ok it looks like 3 pyramids are just basic newbie strings, but they may be better than the ones i've got so i'll give them a try

Go To Top