Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: What Kind Of Strings . . . . . .
john (beloved) habib
Oud Junkie

Mood: love my new oud

[*] posted on 4-27-2004 at 09:59 AM
What Kind Of Strings . . . . . .

I've been listening to Afif Taian, and Simon Shaheen, and their ouds have this distinctive sound to it . . .

I have a feeling it has A LOT to do with the strings they use. I've been using PYRAMID strings, which are great, but the sound of some ouds, specifically the two mentioned above, just have this distinctive sound to it . . .

Does anyone have info on what type of strings those players use? And maybe other players?
Jameel
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-27-2004 at 10:27 AM

Simon uses lute strings. But these are still nylon strings. It's just that lute strings are available in a wide range of diameters.

john (beloved) habib
Oud Junkie

Mood: love my new oud

[*] posted on 4-27-2004 at 10:39 AM

interesting . . . it's not just me right? like, clearly there's this distinct difference between the way their strings sound . . .

Especially when their doing that thing (i have no idea what it's called). . . tremolo? whatever.. .that fast movement over the strings . . . anyways . . .
TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving the Oud

[*] posted on 4-27-2004 at 11:11 AM

Afif uses French-made oud strings called Leonidas, which are incredibly hard to find. He got them from Syria. The third pair-strings are Pyramids, because he likes them wound and Leonidas only makes them in nylon (unwound).

TP21

LeeVaris
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud lover

[*] posted on 4-27-2004 at 01:12 PM
String Sound?

I have a feeling that the distinctive sound has a lot to do with the risha they use - I know Afif uses a very stiff risha.

I may be biased (they don't call me risha-man for nothing) but, after working with stiff rishas for a while now, I feel that the more common soft flexi-rishas don't have the same punch to them.

I find string sound differences to be more subtle among decent strings - probably the best sounding strings I've heard are the Aquilla Nygut.

regards,

Lee Varis
varis@varis.com , www.varis.com
TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-27-2004 at 01:35 PM

Actually, I've played with Afif's risha. Albeit the fact that it's not as bendable as say... a plastic cut out from a shampoo bottle to make a home-made risha, it is relatively bendable. I have a risha much stiffer than his that I use only for practice. That way, when I play with the more bendable ones, I hit with the same force but I produce a cleaner sound (in my opinion).

TP21

Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 4-27-2004 at 01:48 PM

Simon uses the Pyramid lute strings, like Jameel said. He mainly uses horn and, i think, tortoiseshell rishas. He doesn't use very soft rishas, but they're not very stiff either, more in the middle.
My impression is that the sound isn't really the result of his strings, risha, or even his oud. It's in his playing technique. He has a remarkable ability to acheive the most clarity, projection, and fullness of sound from his risha stroke. Of course, the other elements help to make the sound the best it can be, but the real quality of his sound is in his hands. I think this is true of all the great players. I've heard him on a bunch of different ouds, using plastic rishas, different string brands, and his sound doesn't change much beyond the basic character of the different ouds.
That said, I like the Nylgut, too, zand I think the pyramid lute strings do have a slightly different sound than some of the other nylons.

when you say that Simon and Afif sound different, who are you comparing them to?
sydney
Oud Junkie

Mood: Bastanikar

[*] posted on 4-27-2004 at 05:02 PM

Hello Fine people

It's an interesting topic that is. I'd like to have a say in that.

I think the good sound comes from good quality oud of course that means wood, strings and risha as well as oud player too. but what I wish to add is that the location where Afif and Simon play is what makes a great difference. I think that they are both playing a little closer to the bridge. I have used the same method and I do think it gives a different sound.

What you think?

Emad from Sydney
LeeVaris
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud lover

[*] posted on 4-27-2004 at 06:43 PM
Technique of course

I think brian and Emad are right on the mark – technique has got to be 90% of the sound... a great player can make even a mediocre oud sound good!

regards,

Lee Varis
varis@varis.com , www.varis.com
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-27-2004 at 07:41 PM

I agree!:)

Salam
TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-27-2004 at 07:45 PM

I would like to say, though, that if you have bad strings or "poor quality" strings, it will still sound gruff. True, the player's style brings in a lot to the sound, but that's considering all other things are of relatively good to great quality. For instance, if you give a greta player a piece of... dirt of oud and you ask him to do taqsim, the sound of the oud won't evoke in him the ideas that he could possibly get with a nicer sounding oud. This is just my opinion. This is derived from the fact that I went from a mediocre sounding oud to a much better and great sounding oud and it brought ideas along with it.

TP21

samzayed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mashee el hal

[*] posted on 4-28-2004 at 06:07 PM

I agree with a lot of what is said here. People shouldn't expect too much from a brand of strings to give them a particular sound. I've experimented with a few types, including lute strings, and nyglut, in the end my oud still sounded the same (because I was playing it.)

When I have other players play my oud, it sounds like them playing. I was amazed at the type of sound my oud produced when my teacher (Issa Boulos) played it.

I don't think I would ever splurge on lute strings again. I am going to stick the most economical and sturdy strings, Pyramid and D'Addario (under $20/set).

However I do want to add that new strings (in the first month or two, after breaking them in) produce the most brilliant sound. After a couple of months, they become harder to tune the pairs together, and begin to sound dull. Has anyone experienced this?
sydney
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-28-2004 at 07:17 PM
samzayed , I have gone through that before

Quote:
However I do want to add that new strings (in the first month or two, after breaking them in) produce the most brilliant sound. After a couple of months, they become harder to tune the pairs together, and begin to sound dull. Has anyone experienced this?

------------------------------------------------

As soon as I get that dull sound , I tune them all half a tone lower or higher for a day or so while you use your oud of course then tune them back to the normal standard.

Try that and tell me wah you feel?

Emad
samzayed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mashee el hal

[*] posted on 4-28-2004 at 08:08 PM

Sydney, I lowered my tuning by half tone, and now I really like the feel of my oud lower! I especially like the lower action I got. Fellas, I think I am going to eat my words from a previous post and try another set of lute strings configured with lower tension somewhere between 30 - 33 N :mad:
sydney
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-29-2004 at 04:51 PM

Sydney, I lowered my tuning by half tone, and now I really like the feel of my oud lower! I especially like the lower action I got. Fellas, I think I am going to eat my words from a previous post and try another set of lute strings configured with lower tension somewhere between 30 - 33 N

I am glad you liked that.

I also use a Capo every now and then. It changes my mode and I find it inspiring.

Try that .

Emad from Sydney
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-29-2004 at 07:56 PM

Hi Emad

Can you describe where exactly you place the CAPO on the Oud fingerboard? (How far is it from the top nut?)

Thank you!
sydney
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-29-2004 at 08:11 PM
Capo position

Hello mate,

Usually I am not fussy with where to place the capo on the finger board as long as I am not acompanied by any other instruaments. It does change the feel of the oud " as if you have got your self a new different one" kind of feeling.

So feel free to place it where it's comfortable for you as long as you make sure it is sitting square. It also takes a few moments to get used to it.

Good luck

Emad
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-29-2004 at 09:42 PM

Hi

Thanks Emad!!:bowdown:

Zul
sydney
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-30-2004 at 02:25 PM
No Worries zul

:wavey:
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

Mood: what?

[*] posted on 4-30-2004 at 06:50 PM

i'll sing the praises of nylgut strings from aquilla at any given opportunity. they've changed the sound of my oud for the better and - i don't know if this is a consequence of a string change or not but... - i definately play better with them.

there is a lovely, low, throaty sound that some players get when playing european medieval/renaissance music on the oud. i think this is brought about by using gut strings.

anyone with any experience of these?

i'm curious but wary of how expensive they are.

- bill
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-30-2004 at 09:05 PM

Hi Bill

Which set do u have? The Arabic or Turkish set? Im thinking of trying this set too!

Thanks
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-30-2004 at 11:48 PM

dear zulkarnian -

i have two ouds - an egyptian and a syrian - and use the egyptian nylgut tuning on both.

the strings take a little longer to settle at first but this is a minor inconvenience. the most noticeable difference in these (as opposed to the d'addario strings that i used formerly) is the smooth transition from treble nylon strings to the wire bound bass strings. before there was a very slight difference in tone but with the nylgut this disappears. the nylgut strings are not sharp or brash. instead they produce a warm, smooth, totally integrated sound.

what you and i may hear from our instruments can only be a totally subjective thing. if the weather changes or if i play in one room instead of another, these things matter. what little differences there are that exist because of a change of strings - say - are probably not so noticeable to someone on the otherside of the oud. but to me, on this side of the oud, i notice them!

gotta run - ciao - bill
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-30-2004 at 11:57 PM

Hi Bill

Excellent stuff! I definately will try em out! Any advise what is the best way to get hold of the set?

Thanks
billkilpatrick
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-1-2004 at 03:19 AM

dear zulkarnain -

contact mimmo at:

aquila@aquilacorde.com

also, aquilla has a site in the united states.

regards - bill
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-1-2004 at 08:31 PM

Hi Bill

Thanks for all the information!!

Salam
Zul
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top