Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Looking for a decent beginner oud!
Reid
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-9-2008 at 11:45 AM
Looking for a decent beginner oud!

If anyone has a modestly priced oud they need to get rid of, let me know!
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 7-9-2008 at 12:17 PM

I do have a oud that was made by our friend Haluk who has just passed away. I have used this oud as a project oud in order to learn more about oud making. he had given me so much advice about how to go about it.
After hearing about the death of Haluk I thought to myself that this instrument diserved a better finishing job on my part and so I am in the process or redoing all the little things I wasnt happy with since i have gained more experience in oud repairs since then. It should be finished sometime next week and I will offer it for sale.
I diserves to be played and not collecting dust.

you can see the oud project here.
http://www.your.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=4814

I will ask 500$ for the oud.
Reid
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 7-9-2008 at 05:44 PM

I'm shocked to learn that Haluk has passed on. Although I never dealt with him personally, I am deeply saddened by the news of something happening to an honest luthier like himself.

I am interested in your oud, but is there any way you could post some pictures and sound? I checked out your project thread and it looks like you put alot of work into it, so I'm sure it will sound fine
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 7-9-2008 at 08:11 PM

well there will be some changes to the oud.
I am thinking that since Haluk had intended for this to be a turkish oud... I could return it to a fixed bridge oud at the right string lenght. I have a feeling it will have a more genuine sound also.

I am redoing the side banding right now as I wasnt satisfied with it. I is going to be indian rosewood and maple binding. I have refitted some of the bracing that I wasnt 100% happy with the joint. The pick guard will be redone since the original one had to be removed. Last but not least I will give it a french polish finish to make it better.
I will need to take down the fingerboard a little bit if I go ahead and make it a standard bridge oud.
Either way, I can work with you if you have any suggestions or requests. I will be taking more pictures of my work anyways and once I string it I will play something for everyone to ear and comment.
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-10-2008 at 03:38 AM

The oud from Ageeb which is for sale on the forum at this time may also be a good beginner oud, if you which an oud with floating bridge.
regards

Go To Top