Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: saz vs. setar?
Reid
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-10-2008 at 06:29 PM
saz vs. setar?

I'm wondering what the difference is between these two instruments, and which one is more popular. They both sound very similar to me. Does anyone have any experience with these instruments?
Cooper
Oud Maniac

Mood: 0

[*] posted on 7-11-2008 at 06:26 AM

The saz is lower. I have heard the saz used in more recordings, but that might just be me. When it comes to Persian music, I have heard the Tar used a lot more than the setar.
Peyman
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mahoor

[*] posted on 7-11-2008 at 06:46 AM

The biggest difference is size. The setar is much smaller. Also the setar is almost always played with the nail of the index finger. The soundboard on a setar is always mulberry wood and it won't sound the same without it. The strings are different too and are somewhat loose. They are very different instruments and don't really sound a like.
Reid
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 7-12-2008 at 06:22 PM

are there any setar players on this forum?
Peyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-13-2008 at 08:17 AM

I play setar and cura (small saz). BTW, in Persian saz means musical instrument. In Turkish, it refers specificly to the Baglama family of instruments.
Reid
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 7-13-2008 at 07:33 PM

What do you think about this setar, Peyman?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Iran-Persian-middle-eastern-string-Instrument-s...
Tkoind
Oud Maniac

Mood: dreaming

[*] posted on 7-13-2008 at 07:53 PM

Hello,
I play Setar and have experimented with Saz.

Central Asia is filled with instruments that look similar to the Turkish Saz and Persian Setar, but most are quite unique and different from each other. We have a collection of several and I can say that each are very different instruments.

The Setar is very gentle and soft sounding. It has only four strings and is played with the index finger. It is quite quiet and the Persian microtones set in the gut frets make this instrument very expressive.

I wouldn't call it a small saz because sound and technique wise it is quite different. The tuning is more limited than Baglama Saz and its very distinct sound makes it wonderful but also a little more limited that the Sas.

The Baglama is much larger, has a louder more powerful sound and I think is much more flexible. It also has microtones but they are quite different than Persian type. It has a wider range of playing techniquess too. It is usually plucked with a soft pick, but I have seen it played like a Persian Tanbour with up and down cascading finger motions and also with a tap style.

We use both in our band but the Setar is more gentle so we tend to do music that mimics traditional Sufi and Persian music. Where the Saz can join in much more easily with Western instruments in open jams.

I love them both, but would recommend you spend some time on Youtube listening to the difference. There are some great links for both out there.

As for Mahourmusic's cheap Setar. My first Setar came from this Ebay seller. Since then we have bought a much better instrument that feels and plays much better. And has a much richer sound. But our original cheap Setar has seen more time on stage with us than any other instrument we own. It sounds fine, has had no problems with the neck in our humid climate. And I didn't feel too bad sticking pickups to the face. It is kind our our rough life Setar and I'm pretty happy with it.

But if you want a really good one you'll need to spend a lot more. We have some contacts for long neck Central Asian lutes including Setar. If you email me, I'll see if we can help. Or you can get in touch with Yori here and he may be able to help too.

RainInEden
Silk Road Inspired Music Project
Tokyo, Japan
http://www.rainineden.com
Peyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-14-2008 at 06:59 AM

Hi Reid,
That might be a good beginner setar. It's hard to say because we can't hear it but the soundboard looks good. You should look for a tight grain on the treble side and wider on the bass. The other important thing about the setar is the fingerboard radius. It makes a big difference in playing and tying frets. I own several but the one I bought in Iran for $30 sounds a lot better than a setar my friend bought for $500 from a master.

Tkoind,
As far as tuning goes, there are a lot of ways to tune the setar. There is a book on tuning (by Master Ebadi) that lists about 30 ways of tuning the setar.
I play my cura with the selpe (shelpe) technique, and don't use a tezene (pick).

Good luck
Reid
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 7-14-2008 at 09:38 AM

thanks for all the input guys, I've learned alot. I think I'm gonna go ahead and get the beginner setar. I'll let you guys know how it sounds as soon as it gets here.(that's going to be awhile since it will be shipped overseas).

Thanks again for being so helpful, and I'd love to hear what some of you guys are doing on setar.
Tkoind
Oud Maniac

Mood: dreaming

[*] posted on 7-15-2008 at 10:42 PM

Peyman, Thank you for the tip. I've been searching for other tunings without any luck. Do you know where we could order the book from?

Also I would love to hear your Shelpe technique. Do you have any recordings online?

Reid. We are going into the studio in August and are cutting three tracks with Setar. One will mix Setar and Chinese Erhu. Another is an interpretation of a Sufi piece with frame drums and daf. And the last is our most unusual mix an Edo period Shinani Shamisen melody with Setar, Chinese HuLuSU and synths. Wish us luck and I'll post some out takes here soon.

RainInEden
Silk Road Inspired Music Project
Tokyo, Japan
http://www.rainineden.com
Reid
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 7-16-2008 at 05:42 PM

Sounds good man, I'd love to hear it. My setar comes in a couple weeks
OudistAndalo
Oud Admirer

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 7-16-2008 at 05:55 PM

Any sazs or baglama for sale in here? also Kanun, anyone selling a Kanun. I also need Kanun, and Saz picks?
Anyone?

Thanks.

M'rabet M
http://www.myspace.com/melm39abet
mrabetm@rogers.com
Peyman
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-16-2008 at 06:12 PM

Hi Tkoind,
Check u2u. I sent you one about an inquiry but I guess you didn't see it!

Go To Top