Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Youngest Oudist (?)
Owain-Hawk
Oud Junkie

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 7-11-2008 at 06:20 AM
Youngest Oudist (?)

Hi! I am a long time lurker but I have never posted a taqsim by me. I am from the UK, and I am 15, so I was wondering if I was the youngest Oudist on these forums...

I have two Ouds, one from Morocco which I got when I was there and a Turkish one I got 2 days ago, from the CM Music Centre in Germany (I got it second hand). I've been listening to the Oud for about two years now, but I have never actually played one untill about 4 months ago, when I brought my Oud back from Morocco (didn't have time to play it there and it wasn't in tune).

Anyway, enough of my Oud-Life story, heres the taqsim! But beware, I make quite a few mistakes when I try to go beyond the level I'm at. Sometimes I misplace my fingers as I try to play too fast, etc. I think I need to work on my plucking technique aswell.

This is a bit of a meditational type taqism, and I added a bit of reverb so I sound more professional. ;)

http://www.zshare.net/audio/15113042e60ab7c7/
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 7-11-2008 at 07:59 AM

I started at 17.
the younger you are the better.
But I would sugest a teacher if you can find one because I have developed some bad technique mistakes by teaching myself that took me literaly years to forget!!

I will listen to your playing when I am back from work.
DaveH
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-11-2008 at 09:15 AM

The centre of UK oud gravity defintely seems to be shifting North.

Welcome to the forums, congratulations on having the initiative to take up the oud at such a young age and the courage to post. Nice work. I recognise some of the phrases at the beginning from a longa I play, or is that just coincidence? And is that Rast you move into in the second part? You have a real nice feel for the phrasing.

We oldies will all be very jealous of you, of course, because most of us started late and how good we are now is not far off how good we're going to get, whereas the possibilities for you are limitless. What got you into the oud?

Right, I'm going to go now and let others more qualified comment - just stopped by to wish you well.
Owain-Hawk
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-11-2008 at 10:07 AM

Thanks for the encouragement Dave, it is possible that I am playing something similair to something someone has posted, I have learnt a lot by listening to forum members Taqsims. However the beginning 4 notes are the first notes I have played when I picked up a guitar and tried to play Arabic style before I even knew what an Oud was... and yes, I sort of went into Rast in the second part, but really it wasn't planned, it just felt right.

I got into the Oud when I went to visit a friend of my fathers, he is a music teacher and had an Oud. He played a bit and I loved it! But when I played it myself I thought it was a bit weird being fretless and everything. I had been listening to Arabic music before that, but after that night I started listening to Arabic music in general more often after, and I really loved the look and sound of the Oud and the Kamanjah/Violin the most (I play a bit of that too :D). So I knew I had to get one but they were so expensive and to get my parents to fork out nearly £300 for an instrument they play across the globe and I knew nothing about was thought to be a bit wreckless! But then after a series of events (sounds cool, eh?) I ended up in Morocco with my father! I knew I had to get an Oud here, but I could never find a maker. I pleaded with my father to take me to Casablanca because I knew they was an Oud maker there, and he liked the look of the Oud too by then, so I did end up finding an Oud, but only by pure luck! We met a musician with a guitar, and we just asked him if he knew any Oud makers, and he took us left and right and possibly up and down around the medina to a music shop! We ended up coming out with a Moroccan Oud made by a Mohammed Lahlou which we paid £100 for. It's an interesting Oud because it has a Jewish star on it... I thought it was the Moroccan star at first, but after purchasing it I realised. But after carring it through 30+ Centigrade heat inside a black case, I think the heat bent the neck, which caused some buzzing on the strings.

Well, that's pretty much it... and Samir, please do listen and comment, as I have listened to your taqsims and I love them. :)
Owain-Hawk
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-11-2008 at 10:22 AM

Here is another Taqsim with my Moroccan Oud. I think it's Bayati or Rast, can't remember.

Can anyone recommend a better site for uploading audio? Anyway, here goes...

http://www.zshare.net/audio/151228396605af04/
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 7-11-2008 at 10:45 AM

upload on youtube so we can see your technique.
Owain-Hawk
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-11-2008 at 10:51 AM

Unfortunately the webcam I have doesn't work. I'll see if I can get it working but I'm sure it doesn't.

But for now, what do you think of the playing?
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 7-11-2008 at 01:41 PM

congratulations on your first post.
really you are gifted and with the proper coaching you can go far if that is what you aim for. Dont forget to enjoy yourself to since that is the main reason for playing.

I will give you an advice though.
do you know about the learn to play section of this website?
use it. follow the videos and do the exercises. they will pay off shortly. Also try to learn the simple pieces that they propose. If I can say something about improvisation (taqasim, Irtijal etc...) is that it gives a lot of freedom for expression when playing them. For a beginner this can get not only confusing but unfruitful because without experience playing compositions you start ''repeating" your own phrases over and over because it can get comfortable and the player will stop exploring. But I think its important to counter balance this freedom of the taqassim with playing set pieces. The rhythm aspect and the rigidity they bring will get you more focused and it will benefit you by making you discover sounds and melodies you would not have by yourself. It forces you to have more control on your hands since you cant make a ''mistake" when you improvise and anyways for a beginner its hard to ear your own mistakes.
but you can make mistakes playing compositions and therefore they are something of a benchmark to aim for.

In other words dont noodle around improvising all day.
:airguitar:

I listened to your clip and I hear potential. there was some interesting phrases.
one thing I have noticed is that you are going by what you see top notch players do. There is nothing wrong with that of course but do not rush yourself by going way down the fingerboard right away. I think that during the first 6 months or so you should focus on playing the maqamat in the first position and second position. Dont bother for now digging in way deep in the fingerboard. you will confuse yourself.
Owain-Hawk
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-12-2008 at 06:33 AM

Yes Samir, I know the 'learn to play' section of this website, I tried to learn the Bayati Samai and I am currently having a go at Lama Badaa. I realise what you are saying about repeating the same prashes, I learnt that when I was playing a bit of guitar, I thought to myself, evertime I play this I play the same thing, and every now and then I'd start playing the same old thing, then something different would come along and people would say "that sounds good!" and as soon as they said it I lost what I was playing...

I will try and play more set peices then. I would also like to play stuff from my favorite Oudists like Hamza El Din and Sunbati, but I'm only just learning to read music... but thank you for your comments, and encouragement both Samir and Dave! :bowdown:
dubai244
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-12-2008 at 07:54 AM

Hi Owain,

Welcome to the forum. Nice taksim and i really imazed about your level at this stage, keep going. If you need any help just email, mate. I hope i can help you with your oud techniqs.

Thanks
Owain-Hawk
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-12-2008 at 01:24 PM

Thanks Dubai!! I have seen your playing, it's really great. I am listening to your Ajam Taqsim at the moment, and you are qaulity! Thank you for the offer of help, I would certainly love some advice on my Oud playing! I don't see your Email in your profile though, or do you mean U2U message?
Owain-Hawk
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-12-2008 at 01:25 PM

Oh nevermind, I found your Email, :rolleyes: thanks... :))
Raabiah
Oud Maniac

Mood: lost in a world of oudism

[*] posted on 7-13-2008 at 08:24 PM

Well Done Owain-Hawk! at the age of 15, you have an incredible talent and have plenty of time to progress and to show the world your true colours. The taqsims sound oh so professional! So, just keep on working that magic and keep up this determination strut! you'll go far my son haha
take care of yourself n keep on keeping on with this oudistation :applause:

Peace n Respect!1!
Raabiah
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Owain-Hawk
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-14-2008 at 05:44 AM

Thank you Raabiah! Did you listen to both of my Taqsims? Which was your favorite?
Jason
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving my oud

[*] posted on 7-31-2008 at 05:01 PM

Very nice Owain. At 15 I was absorbed in heavy metal guitar :D
Owain-Hawk
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-1-2008 at 04:12 AM

Ah yes, I used to like heavy metal, still do really, but Oud is better. ;)
Masel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-5-2008 at 03:20 AM

You have the right touch, if you practice in a few years you will be very good. Keep going.

By the way I upload to box.net which I think is pretty good hosting website but I don't really use it much anyway.
Yaniv.
Owain-Hawk
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-5-2008 at 05:34 AM

Thanks Masel, but what are your criticisms? I'm bound to have many things wrong with how I play.. I'll try to record another taqsim soon and start a new thread with it. By the way, I love your playing style Masel, you're one of my favorite players here (aftering listening to you Rast Taqsim)! :xtreme:
Masel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-5-2008 at 06:40 AM

Wow thank you. You create a good atmosphere but a good taqsim shuold have a start and develop until it reaches the end. The files you uploaded sound a little like they are a part of a taqsim with no start or finish, just the "mood" if you understand me.

Some points then:
I think you have a good feel of what it is to gravitate and move around a note and treat it as a center, try changing them a little more (but milk as much as you can out of each before moving on) as you go so there is a flowing of the melody, not just a static tonic.

You need to learn the timeless phrases and expression which are integral to this music. I mean openings and closings, and "typical" melodies which people have been repeating and re-interperting for ages. For example the "qaflat" ("locking") is what arabic-style players use all the time to finish a phrase. It is basically holding a short tremolo on the third note above your base and then suddenly releasing and finishing on the base. Complicated to tell, but say your base is C, and the scale is nahawand (minor) then you hold the tremolo on the note Eb, and then pass through D and finish on C, but barely sounding the last two notes. It basically sounds like turning the key in a lock..

Try to vary your risha more, and think about where you are. For example you can start a taqsim slow and meditative and and increase the intensity or you can start quite fast right off finish slower etc. Try to vary things and think of it as telling a story.

One last one, creating patterns and repeating them is also part of the music, which you should do more, but not all the time. I mean things like (if each number is the degree of a scale) 5432 4321 3217 1 or 1324354657 stuff like that can create intrest.

Ok I think this is enough for now.
Yaniv
Owain-Hawk
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-5-2008 at 09:30 AM

Thanks for that Masel! When I was listeing to your taqsims, it really does feel like a story. And that "locking" you are talking about, I tried it after hearing your taqsim, but I didn't realise it meant to end a phrase. Before I read your post I recorded a taqsim, and I did the Locking, but not to end a phrase... anyway if you want to listen here it is... no effects added this time (but rubbish microphone).

http://www.box.net/index.php?rm=box_mp3_player_run&myfiles=1&am...

I didn't try to do it like a story, its a bit rushed (I thought someone was going to walk in while I was recording) but I'll try better soon!
Masel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-6-2008 at 11:35 PM

The links is broken.
Owain-Hawk
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-8-2008 at 04:42 AM

I'll try to record another one, and upload again... soon.
Owain-Hawk
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-27-2008 at 01:15 PM

Sorry it's took me so long to get another taqsim up! Here another, and I'm not happy with it at all, very badly done. But I was concentrating on effects with my fingers etc, not about the structure of the taqsim...

http://www.box.net/shared/bc70k4eiy4

By the way Masel, can you please explain more about creating patterns? Do you mean if for example the scale is Bayati, I would say 3rd note, 4th note, then 1st note (F, G, then D) and use it to create new patterns of playing? Thanks! :cool:

Go To Top