Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Unorthodox Oud Repair
rojaros
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

light.gif posted on 7-11-2008 at 02:57 PM
Unorthodox Oud Repair

Hi there,
I'm new in Oud Forum. I wanted to share some experience with you that might be useful. If not, forgive me bothering you.

I just got this Oud from german ebay auction. It has kindly been identified by a forum meber as made by Khidor Mostafa Daghir on Mohamed Ali street in Cairo.

It came came to me as a parcel and ... the tuning peg box was loosely hanging away from the neck - not a nice surprise. I quickly figured out that a professional repair woud cost at least as much as the oud itself, so I tried to find out a way to do the rpair by myself, especially as I didn't had a clue whether the oud will be worth of the work or not.

I ordered Titebond Professional (it came within 2 days from USA to Germany!!!) and did the repair the following way:

- First, cleaning the joint from old glue
- Scd. making sure the peg box and the joint fited together reasonably
- third, put the glue (more then needed) on the wood
- fourth: securing the peg box with four strings, two of them pulling in front, two of them pulluing from behind (see picture attached).

IT WORKED - everything is just fine - and the oud was worth it.

BTW Titebond professional (brown package) is just fantastic, and I will tell you another usful application I found on this Oud in another contribution :)
ALOMARI
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 7-11-2008 at 07:16 PM

nice work , it would be nicer though if you let us hear it , don't you think:applause:
rojaros
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-12-2008 at 04:41 AM

Thank you!

I'm a poor player and I have no clue how to make you hear my playing if I'd record it???
rojaros
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-20-2008 at 01:04 PM

Hi, I did a first recording of this freshly repaired oud - as I wrote, it's not a great playing but you can get an Idea of the sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D83JHLJMlM&eurl=http://www.yout...

BTW: I don't know why the picture and sound is completely out of sync, I don't have any experience with video recording (I used the notebook webcam for video recording) - any advice for that?

Go To Top