Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: First Attempt
DanielH
Oud Addict

Mood: Satisfied

[*] posted on 7-14-2008 at 11:13 AM
First Attempt

Well, I decided to be brave and post my first recording. I'm a beginner, so please forgive the mistakes. :shrug: It's just a short recording of a song called "Maliks." I heard it on an album by Stellamara (I wrote a review about on the forums last week). The lyrics are in Portuguese and are basically a traveler's blessing. I'm not sure where the melody comes from, but they perform it as a duet for oud and sarod. I really fell in love with the melody and decided to work towards learning it.

I'll post a longer version when I get a little better at it. It took me quite a few takes to get 30 seconds worth of decent music! Please feel free to offer any constructive criticism. Thanks!

- Dan
teslim
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-14-2008 at 07:19 PM

daniel, I am flattered that you have chosen this tune to learn .I wrote it years ago for my sons 13th birthday...the words are a prayer for his safekeeping in this world..i also am glad to hear how much you enjoyed our cd,,,seven valleys...we have a new album finished with ross daly and kelly thoma with some traditional and original compositions that hopefully will be out this fall. i also have a new cd with violinist kaila flexer called teslim that you can find on cd baby that is mostly original material with saz , oud , laouto and violin. keep up the good work, you sound great...gari
DanielH
Oud Addict

Mood: Satisfied

[*] posted on 7-15-2008 at 01:18 PM

Hi Gari,

Wow, I'm glad to see you're a part of the formus! Yes, Seven Valleys is one of my favorite albums, and apart from Maliks, I also really love the song Strumica. You guys are really doing some great stuff, better than most artists who would be classified in the same genre. I'll definitely check out the new album when it's available and will look into "Teslim" as well. Perhaps that will be my next CD review... :) Thanks for listening!
Christian1095
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-22-2008 at 07:15 AM

Daniel,

For a first attempt this sounds great! I haven't heard the original, but the phrasing sounds really nice... sounds like you're playing with passion and it comes through the mic.

Chris Walters

Go To Top