Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Collecting Folk Songs
Tkoind
Oud Maniac

Mood: dreaming

[*] posted on 7-15-2008 at 10:50 PM
Collecting Folk Songs

We're searching for very simple, played at home with the family, folk songs from all across the East and Central Asia. Especially looking for Azeri, Kurdish, Turkish, Uzbek and Turkmen pieces.

We've found a lot of resources for classical music from the region, but very little of music sung and played by ordinary working people.

We hope to find recordings or sheet music with lyrics if possible.

These are for a project we hope to do with some other local musicians and dancers to have a night of Silk Road music that you might hear in homes along the way.

Don't care so much what instruments any recordings are played with. Mostly looking for the melody and vocal lines.

RainInEden
Silk Road Inspired Music Project
Tokyo, Japan
http://www.rainineden.com
DaveH
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-16-2008 at 12:09 AM

Hi. I came across something quite recently which might interest you. There's a compilation called "lullabies from the axis of evil". You should be able to google it. I liked the concept but I didn't buy it as the live recordings are heavily overdubbed with electronica and additional voices in the studio making it sound a bit of a mess. I also got the impression the compiler/producer had benefitted a lot more from it than the artists/ordinary people who were recorded. Still, I think it might serve your purpose well as there are some beautiful tunes from Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Palestine and quite a few others.

Go To Top