Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: My new Oud by Nazih Ghadban
Alioud
Oud Maniac

Mood: Extremely Happy!

[*] posted on 7-20-2008 at 09:07 AM
My new Oud by Nazih Ghadban

First of all.. I have been a member of this forum for sometime. I haven't said much, but I've been a very avid reader. I can not thank members enough for sharing their Oud projects because using this forum's expertise I am making my first oud.

Anyway, I was lucky enough to know Nazih, not only as an Oud maker but as on of the greatest and most charming men I have ever met in my life. I've asked him for an instrument and he was delighted when I told him all my difficult requests. He initially made the back of my Oud using Indian Rosewood.. but then when he finished he came across an extremely old growth of Brazilian Rosewood ( The real CITES protected Delbergia Nigra ). Being the honest person that he is, he called me and told me he is going to restart making the back and sent me a picture of the Indian Rosewood back which was magnificent.

These are the pictures of the progression of Nazih's work.. I hope he doesn't mind me posting them... The oud is done and I am expecting the graduation pictures tonight.. and they will also be available at his website very soon.

To sum it up.. before I even play the Oud... It is an honor to know Mr. Ghadban.

Since I am new to posting here.. I'll try posting the pictures seperatly.

[img] [/img]http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/1258/71375046zu3.jpg
Alioud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 7-20-2008 at 09:11 AM

This is the wood that took Nazih's breath away and made him call me immediately to tell me that this is wood I've been looking for.. look at this beauty...

Alioud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 7-20-2008 at 09:23 AM

This is the picture of the same wood dampened to show the figure.. Breathtaking indeed..

This is the soundbox already done ... The stripes between the rosewood is made of (Maple-Ebony-Maple)... The mother of pearl is a beautiful addition at the end... the wood looks magnificent.. this is unfinished.. only dampened with water...

Simply raw wood.. no finishes.. no water.. the picture says it all..

Nazih's beautiful signature.. The soundboard is Mastergrade European Spruce... the fingerboard is ebony.. the rest is poetry written by the hands of Nazih in a Bahir style oud...

Now these are the pictures before and french polish is applied to the instrument.. I just wonder how will it look like.. I don't think I need to wonder who will it sound like..

I will keep you posted.
Alioud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 7-20-2008 at 10:24 AM

This is the finished oud.. Magnificent ... I already envy myself!!!

Alioud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 7-20-2008 at 10:52 AM

You can hear a sound clip of the Oud on it's first day of life.. It's already ringing like brass.. just the way I dreamed of it.

http://www.oudnazihghadban.com/images/news/m_7_20_2008_20_27_146.mp...
dubai244
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-20-2008 at 11:03 AM

Hi Ali,
Mashallah...

I am so jealous and happy for at the same time. It looks really nice oud. I wish you healthy playing.

I have got similar oud. We will have taqsim compatition, me and you since we have similar oud.

Thanks
Alioud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 7-20-2008 at 11:10 AM

Hi Ghazi,

Thank you so much... you should be jealous.. You don't see an Oud made of Brazilian Rosewood everyday :)

Anyway, I will be coming to Dubai soon.. and instead of a competition we will play together... I love your playing ( I listened to it on the Maqam of the Month post )

We will have a good time... I will email you before I leave to Dubai.. How about you send me your mobile number on a U2U message or in an email ?

Ali
Jason
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving my oud

[*] posted on 7-20-2008 at 08:55 PM

That looks amazing. My Ghadban is very very similar but with a walnut back. You will love how it plays. I love how the entire range of the instrument sounds so good. You can go all the way up to the high A harmonic and beyond and still hear every note.
francis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-21-2008 at 12:19 AM

A marvellous art work, one more time!
The wood used for the bowl is great: the brasilian rosewood gives a bright and deep sound in the same time. I own a cittern made with brasilian jacaranda, with a lot of silica in: amazing sound and fine lines in the wood; dark and luminus in the same time.
I have been told Ghadban's ouds are some of the best, here is another exemple!
Sure great times are coming for you with it!
Already the sound is amazing.....I can imagine how it's become in a few year...
You are lucky Alioud, and I'm happy you share out your happiness on this forum.
Francis
Jassim
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud Player

[*] posted on 7-21-2008 at 12:44 AM

why is the sound box 15 peses??
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Melbourne
Oud Junkie

Mood: راحة الأرواح

[*] posted on 7-21-2008 at 03:59 AM

That is a beautiful oud Ali - congratulations....Nazih really is a fantastic kind person, I have been speaking to him about an oud, and what I have in mind is very similar to yours! But its a while away yet....hopefully not to long :airguitar:
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 7-21-2008 at 06:06 AM

Ali and Nazih

What a beautiful oud - I love the clarity and line ... such beautiful things in the world.

Leon
Jameel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-21-2008 at 06:15 AM

That's a gorgeous bowl.

veyselmaster
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud making

[*] posted on 7-21-2008 at 08:45 AM

Hı Ali

Let's hope for the best
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
fadel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-21-2008 at 09:01 AM

hi Ali

mabrook

coll my

alan_mardan
Oud Addict

Mood: happy

[*] posted on 7-21-2008 at 10:49 AM
wowwww

Very wonderful piece of art....congratulations Ali for this iraqi oud...wandering how much he charges about for a similar one? ... i phoned him before but he had different prices... any way am glad that you got it...
Alioud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 7-21-2008 at 12:34 PM

Thank you all for your kind words... I am now waiting for the Oud to actually fall in my hands.. I'm sure that Oud will cry of tiredness !!! lol..

Anyway,

Alan_Mardan... How much he charges for a similar one, you'd have to call him to find out. Nazih is extremely approachable and very considerate, but it's not only up to him to decide the price of the Oud. The type of wood dictates the price and at the end of the day Nazih doesn't only sell his labor, he sells his magnificent craftsmanship. Let me just say, this Oud was not cheap as compared to ANY Oud out there.

All the rest of you.. I really wish all of you can own an instrument from this extraordinary luthier. Nazih Rocks.. Not sure if that's a correct sentence to say about an Oud maker though :)
Jassim.... Mr. Jassim Al-Arrough.
Let me first say, that I admire your musical style and sense of notes. I have been thinking of going to Kuwait to pay you a visit if you don't mind ( I am Saudi ). I know how you feel about Faruk Turunz.. and I know that Mr. Turunz is a great luthier indeed. I have never played his Ouds but I heard a lot of them on Youtube and other places. Let me just put it this way: Mr. Turunz Ouds are excellent Ouds, with a sweet Eastern note to them... They will definitely please any ear but I am not sure if they will please any hands. Anyway, I am going to buy a double soundboard from him ONLY if he agrees to create a Bashir style Oud.
Your question regarding the number of ribs that make up the bowl is a bit strange. I am sure that the higher the number, the more work a craftsman put in the bowl (I am making my first Oud at the moment and it is composed of 23 ribs and I wish I had planned on 15). But, the truth is, I do not believe that anyone can say that the number of ribs affects the sound quality of the Oud.
I know that 2 arguments exist regarding the number of ribs. On one hand, some say that the larger number of ribs give more strength to the bowel and I think that is debatable from a physical point of view. But the reason why a craftsman chooses to make a bowel out of 15 ribs (Particularly out of Brazilian Rosewood) is because he wants to show the figures and patterns of the wood. The larger the surface area the more beautiful the wood is. Anyway, in either cases I don't think there is any sacrifice to sound quality. Nazih Ghadban has been making Ouds for 30 years (Around the same time Turunz has been making them) and I think he made his wise judgment when he decided to work with 15 ribs out of a very very beautiful and rare wood.

Anyway Jassim.. We might meet one day. I heard that since you got married you haven't been around Oud as before ;) .. Thanks god I am single ..

Ali
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 7-22-2008 at 12:30 PM

congratulations Alioud, it is a wonderful looking and sounding oud, and it will sound even better with age. Anyone who owns an oud made by master Nazih knows the quality and craftmanship that has gone into your instrument. Play it long and in good health! MW :applause:
virtuoz
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 7-22-2008 at 12:37 PM

Arabic oud beatiful
Ali congratulations
Oud Freak
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud Jerk :)

[*] posted on 7-23-2008 at 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jassim
why is the sound box 15 peses??

Jassim, where's the problem if the soundbox is of 15 ribs? With all my respect to turkish ouds, they are not everything!

Sallem diyyatak ya Nazih 3ala hal oud :)

Go To Top